• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Boxer four?

Honda made a 4 cylinder boxer in 1975. It was called the GoldWing GL1000.

The first motorcycle that I every actually owned was a Honda CB 500 (inline four). My father handed it down to me in 1978 (to my great surprise) when he bought a GoldWing GL1000. They were both lovely bikes. We rode together from Colorado to California and back when I graduated from college in 1979. My sister rode pillion with him.

Ken

Zundapp!

Here is a (not very good) pic of the bike in the Zundapp museum in Sigmaringen, Germany...

IMG_1719-X2.jpg

So there were boxer 4s before and might be more coming later. But then when I point out the worry about the heads sticking out on the 1100/1200 series, just yesterday I watched a video on YouTube about the new 1800 ... boy talking about cylinders sticking out! Anyone here had any experience on these new 1800 bikes? How are they in corners with the wide engine?

1800.png

Electric

I am fully aware of the short comings of electric vehicles, BMW won't have much choice unless the UK, and a lot of European nations as well as a number of States here ditch the newest mandates stipulating all electric by certain dates. The writing is on the wall. How or when it really happens won't matter to me unless a total outlaw of gasoline engines is put into place because I won't buy any new BMW motorcycle. St.

So there were boxer 4s before and might be more coming later. But then when I point out the worry about the heads sticking out on the 1100/1200 series, just yesterday I watched a video on YouTube about the new 1800 ... boy talking about cylinders sticking out! Anyone here had any experience on these new 1800 bikes? How are they in corners with the wide engine?

I got to ride a couple of these beasts down at the BMW Performance Center two weeks ago... I was grinding the floorboards well before the cylinder heads approached the pavement. My buddy was riding an R18 on Rhymer's Ferry Road between Fontana Village and Tapoca Lodge (Robbinsville NC, near Deal's gap) -- a road far gnarlier and more technical than The Dragon IMO, making masterful work of the turns with this huge, heavy, insanely powerful machine! It is not for everyone, but it is more rideable than it looks!

Back