• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

G650GS: melted throttle cable … how that happened?

I experienced the strangest thing in my life motoring life of 20 odd years. The recently purchased battery of my 2013 BMW G650GS, which I bought used last week, went completely dead while I was riding it last night. I will use a multi-meter to check whether the stator is the issue. Anyway, this afternoon, I used a smart battery charger to slow charge the battery. I connected the positive clamp to the positive battery post and negative clamp to the negative post. A few hours later, I check on the charger, it indicated the battery was fully charged. I took the clamps off. Started with the key and the G650GS started normally, except I found out that I could not rev up the throttle. The reason was the throttle cable’s outer jacket was melted, melted along the entire length of the cable. I thought it was because of the way I connected the charging posts but there was no sign of anywhere around the two post areas melting. I thought it might be the heat from the radiator underneath the speedometer console, once again nothing else showed signs of heat burn, rubber/plastic hardening, or smell. It’s just the throttle cable. Check out my attached photos. I am asking for your help, if you have experienced something like this, please share your stories and how you solved the problem. I’d love to learn what can cause such isolated damage. Thank you.

Attachments

• 9917E0F9-D249-4332-9858-DEA924D4335A.jpg
    9917E0F9-D249-4332-9858-DEA924D4335A.jpg
    300.1 KB · Views: 90
  • 900DA804-D19F-4829-B64B-F6624C86BB49.jpg
    900DA804-D19F-4829-B64B-F6624C86BB49.jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 92
  • 2E3188BC-1FB4-45A1-BB41-2D56FF7C0B5B.jpg
    2E3188BC-1FB4-45A1-BB41-2D56FF7C0B5B.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 89
  • 858B50AC-1C1C-4631-B9E2-A7D686ECEF4A.jpg
    858B50AC-1C1C-4631-B9E2-A7D686ECEF4A.jpg
    386.3 KB · Views: 90
  • 09C810B2-6393-44DC-A9F0-CE4EAABBA36F.jpg
    09C810B2-6393-44DC-A9F0-CE4EAABBA36F.jpg
    285.6 KB · Views: 88
  • 088176FB-1A4A-4514-A4F3-5F4AB6909E87.jpg
    088176FB-1A4A-4514-A4F3-5F4AB6909E87.jpg
    314.6 KB · Views: 89
Welcome to the forum!
No doubt something got crossed up and heated the throttle cable to the point the covering melted. Why, I can’t guess.
I can recommend once you get it sorted, using a fused SAE connector directly to the battery for accessory 12V access. From your excellent pictures I can see that battery access I similar to my F800GS and IMO, a lot can go wrong with that system.
Electric current, for the most part, takes the path of least resistance. Let us know what you find.
Good luck.
Gary

I agree - there's a bare wire somewhere that's it's not supposed to be. I'd also just double check your battery charger wires. Unlikely, but I suppose if you had a bare section that laid just perfectly on the throttle cable while you were charging, it also could had this effect.

These bikes are notoriously hard on batteries (low air flow, sitting on top of a hot engine, behind the radiator, next to the oil tank), so don't be surprised if you need a new one or need to top off the electrolyte often.

Battery connection is the cause

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. All of you hit the mark. It seems to be caused by the battery connections. I was afraid it might have been caused by an overheated engine or its cooling system.

After taking the left tank plastic out to inspect, I think I found what caused the melting. It is something to do with either the battery wiring or how I charged it. I’ve made a video and will share it after editing.

One more thing. I am new to motorcycle ownership. Where do you guys buy your parts? I live in Calgary and I try not to buy from the dealership.

One more thing. I am new to motorcycle ownership. Where do you guys buy your parts? I live in Calgary and I try not to buy from the dealership.

BeemerBoneYard for all the basics and my local dealer for all the rest. Our 3 local dealers do a nice job supporting our local BMW club, so I don't feel bad spending an extra dollar here or there.

It melt all the way to the right handlebar. So I guess the 'short' happened right there.

There is the kill switch which is connected directly to the battery through the ignition switch. Maybe the kill switch or its wire from the ignition switch (not fused typically) touched the throttle gear or the handlebar?

When the knew throttle cable is installed I would also check the wires to the kill switch.

Last edited:

Anderwerks Motorrad Spezialist
3924 3a St NE #3 · +1 403-277-4269

While travelling thru your area on a G650GS I was treated very well by these people. I think it was the boss who stayed past closing to help me chase down a rookie problem with my electrics. Circuit was not working, fuse looked good, tore off some plastic to inspect. Turned out fuse was not good and we should have swapped it out early and been on my way.

If you visit tell them a traveler from Michigan appreciated their help.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

Back