• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2005 R1200 GS dashboard quit

chasmrider

not lost til out of gas
Hi all, I am on the road, after prepping my bike last week. All was good till I left Moab yesterday, got to monument valley, and hit a big sandstorm. As I was riding through I realized my info center was blank, also speedometer stuck at 50 mph, tach stuck at 4500 rpm. So I have no info, fuel guage,oil temp,clock,
Nothing. No warning lights, no blinker indicators. Stopped in Gallup, checked battery connection, all tight there. So I kept riding, now I am near Oklahoma city, called the dealer, NO HELP, save that for another post. My question is, has anyone heard of this? I have come almost 1000 miles, bike is running great, am I risking further trouble if I keep riding? I have about 2000 miles to go. Any advice?

Sorry to hear that! There is one connector to panel, May be able to squeeze a hand in there to check/ wiggle.
Short of that, it’s a ECU type of unit and model specific. Replaced one that acted up below 45 degrees at first, then lost lcd display regularly. Found a used one, but be careful as others advertised had cracked mounts or zero history.
Its about a $1400module! :banghead

Do you have a GPS for speed and fuel window distance?

Thanks Steve, yes I used my GPS dashboard for speed and trip meter. The bike ran great Gallup to OKC, but I have about 2000 miles to get home. Will the lack of display cause other problems? I would like to ride, but there are a lot of lonely roads.

I would probably ride it home short of renting a U-Haul pickup. If bike has been reliable, my ‘05 was, it’s more of an annoyance and a step back in time to minimal rider info. You have a fairly reliable backup with your GPS
Have had a few R’s with bad ignition switch, but that shows up as no power intermittently when key is turned on at a start. The display would be erratic trying to boot up. Many attempts would eventually light display until finally failing.

Great news, I went out and disconnected the wire to the back of the speedometer, then reconnected it. And everything is BACK. So I will be heading west Monday morning. Thanks for the advice. I will post here when I get home.

morning all! I made it home last night!! my bike ran perfect, never missed a beat! the dashboard worked perfect too. I ended up riding from Rush Springs OK, to near Prineville OR, in two days. rode to Gallup NM the first day, a little over 700 miles, then did a true Iron butt and rode home from Gallup. I didn't plan on that, but that's what happened. 16 hours 15 minutes moving time, 1153 miles 70.2 mph moving average :) I LOVE THIS BIKE! BTW, my odometer says 189,989 this morning!! it used about 1/2 qt of oil in just under 4000 miles. so the only casualty in this affair is the 750 or so miles I lost when the dash quit. thanks for your help, I love this club too! see you on the road.

i had this same issue right before a trip last year, the problem would mostly rear its head after a rain or high humidity. turned out a wire in the harness going to the abs module had slightly rubbed through and was grounding intermittently. if it ends up doing it again this is where i would start

Back