• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

22L top case. How secure is it on the rack?

mcmlcccvrs

I haven't used my 22L top case yet. I'm curious about the degree to which the system for mounting it is secure. As you guys/gals know, the mounting plate just slips under the rear rack and there is a single, twist-to-lock latch pin holding the case to the mounting plate. I don't want a projectile launched off the back of my bike at any speed. Should I be concerned or have the German engineers come up with a sound design?

Thanks,
Tom

I haven't used my 22L top case yet. I'm curious about the degree to which the system for mounting it is secure. As you guys/gals know, the mounting plate just slips under the rear rack and there is a single, twist-to-lock latch pin holding the case to the mounting plate. I don't want a projectile launched off the back of my bike at any speed. Should I be concerned or have the German engineers come up with a sound design?

Thanks,
Tom

Coming off is not an issue. That mount is secure. The plate needs to slide to disengage and the mounted top case prevents the plate from sliding.

BUT, the cases with the forward facing opening are notorious for coming open at speed. The latch seems to be a bit tricky. Straps and bungee cords were commonly used to prevent this.

Tom,

Also be aware that they are only rated for 11 pounds of contents by BMW (though I regularly carry about 16 pounds in mine with my CPAP and a deep cycle PC680 sized battery). But I do, as Paul suggested, use two 1” straps around the case and under the rack outboard of the mounting bolts. The weak point is then the rack to tail section mounting or the tail section to frame mounting. No issues over many tens of thousands of miles and many bumpy roads.

:dance:dance:dance

Both of us used the 22 liter top case for 15 years without any problem with the mount and that included a trip to Alaska.
We used them for light stuff like rain gear, gloves and hats.

Debbie made a strap with a quick release buckle to make sure the lid stayed closed.

2001 Texas_reduced.jpg

Thanks, guys, for the replies and suggestions. I will absolutely be getting a strap or two to make sure the lid doesn't inadvertently pop open.

Thanks,
Tom

Both of us used the 22 liter top case for 15 years without any problem with the mount and that included a trip to Alaska.
We used them for light stuff like rain gear, gloves and hats.

Debbie made a strap with a quick release buckle to make sure the lid stayed closed.

View attachment 87645

Who is that kid in this picture? :)

Hello,

Changing the subject, but, related to the photo with the two red K75S's.

I recently purchased a '88 K75S and need to know how those tank bags are attached to the bike. I have a Multivario tank bag on my K1100 and it attaches to metal hooks under the fuel tank. But I don't see how or where i could put those hooks on my K75S.

There is a Multivario tank bag on Ebay that comes with two mounting bases, one for R bikes and one for K bikes. I would buy the bag if I was certain I could mount it properly on my K75S.

Regards,

Richard in Commerce Township, MI

Richard,

The multivario tank bags hook directly to the lower seams of the fuel tank on K75s. Because the K1100 tank is a bit taller, they use the little hooks to make up the difference.

No extra pieces needed for the K75. Buy the tankbag.

:dance:dance:dance

My 22L case popped open many times, sometimes the contents make it very tricky to securely hook the latch.

The worst time I re-road 30 miles but did find my leather pocket DayTimer and many of my credit and other cards, addresses, etc. along the road. began using a bungee secondary wrap strap.

My 22L case popped open many times, sometimes the contents make it very tricky to securely hook the latch.

The worst time I re-road 30 miles but did find my leather pocket DayTimer and many of my credit and other cards, addresses, etc. along the road. began using a bungee secondary wrap strap.

Mine popped open once and spewed papers into the wind and all over the road. Now I lock it every time I use it; and I check to see that it and the side case lids are locked and secure every time I ride.

Back