• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Boots- It's time to replace my 10+ year old Sidi Canyons.

:nod When I worked in uniform, I tried a pair of side zip police boots and didn't like the zipper, but they were no Bates quality. Bates are great boots, my brother wears them while we're motoring in the summer. He's worn Bates for decades in the trades, so he knows they are quality and won't fail in the worst of conditions.

Nice to see another member rider not wearing "motorcycle boots". I wonder just how many members ride in other than the various motorcycle boots advertised as waterproof. I've read elsewhere, and we see here, motor riders have spent considerable money on various brands that have failed to perform as advertised.

I'd still be wearing my Timberlands if I'd not found the Altai's as the T's are much heavier. Altai's are ever bit as good as the T's and feel like wearing a pair of sneakers, that light.

Do these type of boots wear on top from the shift lever ?

Do these type of boots wear on top from the shift lever ?

I just went and checked that desert tan pair I've worn for a year that have about 7K on them from last summers trip and local excursions. Dirtier than new, no wear whatsoever on the top of the boots [ nor anywhere I can find on the boot ]. The soles don't appear to have worn enough for me to see any, and I've been wearing them maybe 70% of the time for the last year.

Just bought a pair of the same model in the darker color for this years multi state jaunt. The light desert tan boots could probably be cleaned up to look a lot better, but with the discount applied, they are just over 100.00, and I like em enough to have a second pair.

My Bates boots do not show wear from the shift lever. I am sure there is some scuffing but no real wear.

If they're truly comfortable, I'd recommend they be overhauled by a good cobbler - maybe better than new. One thing I like about dedicated motorcycle boots is that they're generally taller than work boots so no gap between boot and pant leg.

One reason I went with the Bates tactical boots is that when we travel I usually have on my Aerostich Roadcrafter pants, many times over shorts. When we get someplace interesting I can shed the riding gear and go hiking or walking in the ever comfortable Bates boots. They are just like a good pair of quality hiking boots in that regard.

I have a pair of Daytona's and they look good and are very comfortable. They are NOT waterproof. They are labeled with Gortex but they definitely leak.

I have ridden 1000's of miles in the rain with my Daytona's and they have never leaked. Most comfortable I have ever worn.

I have ridden 1000's of miles in the rain with my Daytona's and they have never leaked. Most comfortable I have ever worn.

This is why I stopped looking for motorcycle boots, many users said a certain brand didn't leak, others stated they did leak. The two riders I mentioned who rode to Ak. with me in 18 bought supposed waterproof well known motor boots and both pair of theirs leaked which made for a miserable 3 days until they got to Fairbanks and immediately went downtown and bought Red Wings [ the place didn't carry my Timberland's which they were looking for after seeing mine had kept me warm and dry.

Motorcycle boots have always been hit or miss no matter the brand/model according to reviews I've read for several years. We see the same thing here in this thread. Some boots leak others find that brand/model don't leak.

My Timberlands won't leak [ well established over decades of wearing them ], and neither will my Altai's. I gave up on looking for waterproof motor specific boots a long time ago.

Something about the direction of this thread bothers me. Maybe it's the fact that the entire discussionb has to do with comfort, multi-purpose (walking/riding), cost etc (riding boots). Maybe if the thread were about "crashing boots" or "sliding boots" or "crushing boots" it would go in a different direction. The fairest most unbiased discussions I've seen on reviews and a quick duckduckgo search of "why motorcycle boots" accept hiking and non-motorcycle boots as a minimum acceptable protection gear...i.e. a minimum of abrasion, and flex protection without crush, flex limiting, heat. and lateral ankle protection. So MY most comfortable riding boots are NOT my best crashing, falling, sliding boots. Since I don't know when the former might become the latter, I dress for the latter.

I’m one of those guys who went to Alaska with Brownie and the store was Sportsman’s Warehouse. I still have those Red Wing boots, I love them and they’re still waterproof. I don’t remember the brand of motorcycle specific boots I had but they were never comfortable to walk in and leaked badly. When I put on those Red Wings it made riding so much better. They have a thick sole with a good tread that was lacking in the other boots so when I put my feet down with my 29” inseam I feel more in control. I think I paid around 150 bucks for them and worth every penny. A few years back I rode the tail of the dragon and it rained most of the trip. From there I headed over to Lebanon Tennessee for the MOA rally. On the ride home from there it rained the whole way, my feet stayed dry through it all.

The Red Wing boot treatment, Natur-seal, is a product I have had good luck with.
OM

Another fan of Daytona boots here. Mine are about 15 years old with many thousands of riding miles and they are still holding up strong. I have a narrow foot, which was why I went with the Daytona boots in the first place. They are also quite comfortable for walking.

One comment about waterproofness. I've ridden in many rainstorms over the years (lived in the Seattle area for 15 years) and the Daytonas have always kept my feet dry. I do believe that the ability of Gore Tex to keep you dry is highly dependent on individual body chemistry and amount of sweat we produce. If you tend to have "hot" feet that sweat a lot, it's likely that Gore Tex will not be able to pass the moisture quickly enough through the membrane to stay dry. While you may think your feet are getting wet from the outside moisture, it's more likely they are getting wet from the inside out as the moisture overrides the ability of the Gore Tex to evaporate it.

Bots Among Us - Or Spies

I am long used to seeing new ads directed at me after I have done an internet search. I have even sometimes done silly searches, like "John Deere Combine" (I live in the desert), just to see what ads will arrive at my screen later.

But, the only place I have commented on either boots or heated gear is on this very BMW MOA Forum, and today I started getting ads for boots and heated jacket liners.

Has anybody else had this experience lately?

I am long used to seeing new ads directed at me after I have done an internet search. I have even sometimes done silly searches, like "John Deere Combine" (I live in the desert), just to see what ads will arrive at my screen later.

But, the only place I have commented on either boots or heated gear is on this very BMW MOA Forum, and today I started getting ads for boots and heated jacket liners.

Windoze computer using their browser?

OM

You can check what Windoze assigned as the default search engine. BTW, Chrome is incredibly invasive. :eek
OM

My usual (default) search engine is Google. But this particular issue was not a search. Boots and heated gear were not searches. They were Forum comments.

My usual (default) search engine is Google. But this particular issue was not a search. Boots and heated gear were not searches. They were Forum comments.

Ads on the forum? Nothing here running Apple devices.
OM

Me too !

Is this in the forum? Is it in reference to one of the brands referenced in an “embedded” link?
OM

I thought Paul meant he started seeing ads in other places after talking about boots and heated gear here.

Back