• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Boots- It's time to replace my 10+ year old Sidi Canyons.

tlaloc

It's time to replace my 10+ year old Sidi Canyons. They've served me well but they leak and the sole on one has started to separate. I thought I'd replace them with the same but some of the reviews have mentioned that the buckle fastening mechanism on the current Canyons is problematic. In looking at replacements I came across BMW's Cruise Comfort boots. They seem to fit the bill.

I'm looking for comments on the BMW boots as well as those on the Sidis with the newer buckle setup.

Thanks,
Carlos

I have the BMW Comfort boots. They work well and definitely keep my feet dry on our K1300S but I wouldn't recommend them for any off road riding. So if it's mainly street use, rack up one vote for the BMW boots. The pull loops are genius, btw.

I have the comfort boots and Daytonas as well. I think I prefer the Daytonas a little more. I think they are more comfy

Welcome to the forum.

My wife has the BMW Cruise Comfort boots and likes them.
I also have Cruise Comfort boots plus some Sidi boots I don't remember the name. My Sidi boots do not have buckles.
Both of our BMW boots and the Sidi boots do not leak.

My Sidi boots are hotter than my Cruise Comfort boots when riding my boxer with built in foot warmers.

Last edited:
Most comfortable fully waterproof boots I've worn and are so lightweight they feel like sneakers [ and just ordered another pair today ] are

https://altaigear.com/shop/altai-8-brown-waterproof-boot/

I wear them daily, so on a trip, I don't need to bring other footwear or change footwear. Walk around for hours off the bike in comfort, never get wet in driving rain on the motor. Vibram soles grab the tarmac well [ not much sliding unless you're on more than 50% loose crap/gravel.

Hot weather riding? No problem out here in the Sonoran all last year in temps reaching 115F.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!
I will add a bit to the title for clarity.
Good luck.
Gary

I was going to suggest Daytona boots as well... all day comfortable, and a good cobbler can resole them. Had mine resoled at Anthony's Leather on Pacific Coast Hwy.

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

I have a pair of Daytona's and they look good and are very comfortable. They are NOT waterproof. They are labeled with Gortex but they definitely leak.

I regularly use their boot dressings (polish, waterproof stuff, zipper lube) As far as I remember they have kept me dry. I HAVE had boots full of water when I've been caught in downpour with my pants tucked in the boots...I'm not being all unequivocal because honestly I couldn't SWEAR they've been waterPROOF but my impression is that they have been.

I have a pair of Daytona's and they look good and are very comfortable. They are NOT waterproof. They are labeled with Gortex but they definitely leak.

Which Daytona's and do you treat them?

Daytona appears to have slightly different care and feeding instructions depending on the model of boot.

I have a pair of Daytona Trans Open GTX (with Gortex), and they have remained bone dry for me. I use Daytona's Leather Restorer periodically on scuffs, and Daytona's Boot Waterstop every 6 or 12 months over all the exterior leather surfaces. I haven't lubed the zippers as yet. That's the treatment they recommend for my model boots. Just last week, I had someone pressure wash my boots while I was wearing them, and not even the slightest dampness came into the boot and the water just rolled right off the outside.

My prior BMW boots kept my feet dry too.

When I read that, I honestly couldn't remember if min were perfectly waterproof or not. Yesterday I rode 100 miles, in the rain, and indeed my feet SEEMED wettish. When I got home I immediately removed boots and both my feet and boot insides were perfectly dry...sweat? cold? I don't know but I WAS dry. As I mentioned, I use all the Daytona products on the boots- cream, waterproofing and lubricant for the zippers. I've had them for 5 or 6 years.(I think!) Also- I don't doubt that YMMV. I wouldn't call yesterdays rain a frog strangler- but it was heavy at times and non-stop.

I don't find any need of buying motorcycle "boots" that cost an arm and leg. When I rode with two others to the arctic circle, I wore my Timberland's which kept my feet warm and dry, as ALL Timberland boots are known for. The two I hooked up with Montana to go north had top of the line "motorcycle boots" [ forget what brands but they were advertised as totally waterproof ]. Both of them ended up with cold wet feet when we rode through rain for a few days, some quite heavy downpours.

Today, I use Altai boots as mentioned previously. Very lightweight, totally waterproof and the material breathes some. I ride in Az. where the temps can be upwards of 110-115F for weeks on end, the boots are ovens. Yet on last years trip through the rockies [ Wyoming, SD, and then over mountain passes over 10K feet in Colorado ] where summits were driving rain and temps down to 40F, I didn't notice my feet getting cold [ they didn't ]. They ended up buying Red Wings [ not a "motorcycle boot" at some store in Fairbanks and didn't have any further issues with wet cold feet for the remainder of the trip.

I paid 109.00 with the military discount [ normally 129.00 I think ]. Not 200, not 300 or more for boots that may or may not leak. I can ride in them, then get off the bike and walk in them in full comfort. In fact, I don't bring any other footwear on a trip as these are lightweight, comfortable and can be worn all day on or off the motor.

May the force be with you buying "motorcycle" boots that are touted as totally waterproof for outrageous prices when compared to Timberland or these Altai's.

I have been wearing a pair of Bates brand 8" tactical boots for a few years. They are similar to the Altai 8" boots but I prefer the Bates because they have a fully gusseted side zipper. This means that once the laces are properly adjusted and tied I use the zipper to open the boots to put them on or take them off. They have never leaked in several years (and rainstorms) of riding.

I have been wearing a pair of Bates brand 8" tactical boots for a few years. They are similar to the Altai 8" boots but I prefer the Bates because they have a fully gusseted side zipper. This means that once the laces are properly adjusted and tied I use the zipper to open the boots to put them on or take them off. They have never leaked in several years (and rainstorms) of riding.

:nod When I worked in uniform, I tried a pair of side zip police boots and didn't like the zipper, but they were no Bates quality. Bates are great boots, my brother wears them while we're motoring in the summer. He's worn Bates for decades in the trades, so he knows they are quality and won't fail in the worst of conditions.

Nice to see another member rider not wearing "motorcycle boots". I wonder just how many members ride in other than the various motorcycle boots advertised as waterproof. I've read elsewhere, and we see here, motor riders have spent considerable money on various brands that have failed to perform as advertised.

I'd still be wearing my Timberlands if I'd not found the Altai's as the T's are much heavier. Altai's are ever bit as good as the T's and feel like wearing a pair of sneakers, that light.

Back