• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Wheel Scratches...Ugh

A

andy45320

My first home tire mounting went amuck and the rear wheel popped loose from the crappy harbor freight tire changer while I was removing the old skin. This caused some ugly but light surface scratches along the rim. These being purely cosmetic, anyone have suggestions for cleaning up minor scratches along the rim? I am looking for cheap solutions, under $50 bucks, so powder coating or new wheel are out of the question. This being the standard metallic silver powder coated wheels that most of us have, figure I am not the only to run into this.

andy45320 said:
My first home tire mounting went amuck and the rear wheel popped loose from the crappy harbor freight tire changer while I was removing the old skin. This caused some ugly but light surface scratches along the rim. These being purely cosmetic, anyone have suggestions for cleaning up minor scratches along the rim? I am looking for cheap solutions, under $50 bucks, so powder coating or new wheel are out of the question. This being the standard metallic silver powder coated wheels that most of us have, figure I am not the only to run into this.

A Scotch Brite Roloc wheel in a drill will fix it up in a jiffy. The kit consists of a mandrel and quick attach Scotch Brite pads. Get the fine and medium pads, two of each should be plenty. Do a Goggle to find a seller who will sell in small quantities as the product is normally sold by the box. A body shop might be able to help you out. A mandrel and four discs will run around $25.
Start with the fine to get your courage up, then move to the medium to remove the scratches. You will then go back to the fine for the final polishing.
The result will be as smooth as a baby's bottom. ( this is standard procedure in the repair and overhaul of aircraft props) The rim was probably anodized, so you will want to put something on the repair area.
Most modify the HF changer with an improved rim gripper set. There have been threads here or over on AdrvR on how to do it. (pictures) I have a new HF unit myself but have not yet made the mod. Maybe someone can chime in and give the location of the instructions. The HF is a good deal for the money but it does need some owner improvements to come up to standard.

Good luck,

Motard
1150GS
R50

Back