• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

King of the Baggers?

Omega Man

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat
Staff member
Never heard of this. Harley’s vs Indians in superbike racing. It’s like regular superbike racing on bikes that don’t quite handle. It’s pretty interesting from Road Atlanta on now- FS2 and repeats later and into Monday morning.
Sounds like they are rolling around 150mph- on Baggers! :burnout
OM

Never heard of this. Harley’s vs Indians in superbike racing. It’s like regular superbike racing on bikes that don’t quite handle. It’s pretty interesting from Road Atlanta on now- FS2 and repeats later and into Monday morning.
Sounds like they are rolling around 150mph- on Baggers! :burnout
OM

Anything to put the tribes in the stands, or watching the commercials on the tube.

The negativity is depressing. :hungover
OM

Thanks to those that chose to keep this thread positive by editing/deleting their posts.

:wave

Last edited:
I had never heard of this title before, despite being a "Harley Guy" for a few decades. That is, until the recent edition of Rider write up on the Road Glide ST and the Street Glide ST. Perhaps it's just the photo-angle, but it looks like they got those leaned over pretty good in some of the pictures. I don't think I'll be trading in the RT for one, but I certainly understand the appeal.

I kept expecting Harley to build a touring bike based around the V-Rod engine. I also thought they'd perhaps put more money into refining the suspension and handling. They did, somewhat, but I need more than 2" travel on that rear wheel. At least 4" minimum for 2-up riding. Had they done so, I'd probably still be with HD, another old guy on a Harley. Instead they put it in sound systems etc. Apparently they did come a long way in the power department, seriously increasing torque, and at least 150% of the HP that I'd experienced on mine.

At any rate, the point of this meandering post is that I'm all for anyone who pursues 2-Wheeled happiness. From Vespa scooters on up, I'm wishing all many miles of satisfaction with whatever you ride. ;)

I had never heard of this title before, despite being a "Harley Guy" for a few decades. That is, until the recent edition of Rider write up on the Road Glide ST and the Street Glide ST. Perhaps it's just the photo-angle, but it looks like they got those leaned over pretty good in some of the pictures. I don't think I'll be trading in the RT for one, but I certainly understand the appeal.

I kept expecting Harley to build a touring bike based around the V-Rod engine. I also thought they'd perhaps put more money into refining the suspension and handling. They did, somewhat, but I need more than 2" travel on that rear wheel. At least 4" minimum for 2-up riding. Had they done so, I'd probably still be with HD, another old guy on a Harley. Instead they put it in sound systems etc. Apparently they did come a long way in the power department, seriously increasing torque, and at least 150% of the HP that I'd experienced on mine.

At any rate, the point of this meandering post is that I'm all for anyone who pursues 2-Wheeled happiness. From Vespa scooters on up, I'm wishing all many miles of satisfaction with whatever you ride. ;)

:clap
You understand perfectly.
OM

This racing class is marketing genius, HUGELY entertaining to watch.... kudos to the KRAVE guys who came up with it. I am working on some editorial regarding these bikes and the people building them... it's a great story.

There was a big bagger spectator turnout at the track, enormous actually, at Road Atlanta... thanks in large part to excellent weather. Interestingly, the downtown people have abandoned sportbikes and have gone to fully decked-out cruisers.

Got a bunch of shots & videos on my big camera that I haven't offloaded yet, but here is a nice cell phone shot of one of the bigger budget efforts. (Indian, Roland Sands, Mission Foods)

I sure would love to see the R18 out there scratching, but I think the opposed twin engine is too wide and technically does not fit within (bad pun) the class rules. The shaft drive alone would significantly compromise top end performance.

2022042509404837--7056256938136636866-IMG_0268-X2.jpg

Last time I leaned one of these big bikes over (lot nap) as far as the riders were doing, I looked for help to pick it up. :p
OM

Last time I leaned one of these big bikes over (lot nap) as far as the riders were doing, I looked for help to pick it up. :p
OM

You'll find everything is packaged high and tight on these bikes, the amount of custom engineering is impressive. That said, one of the racers snagged a bag on one of the track's rumble strips and went down at speed. :eek

Voni and I stumbled on some TV coverage of a Bagger race and we both enjoyed it. The riders and machines were impressive. As for the brands, it harkened back to the '80s when we went to the dirt track at Springfield every year to watch the Harleys whoop up on the Yamahas, or vice versa.

You'll find everything is packaged high and tight on these bikes, the amount of custom engineering is impressive. That said, one of the racers snagged a bag on one of the track's rumble strips and went down at speed. :eek

I actually saw that. The “leathers” seem to be key to a “walk-away”.
OM

Voni and I stumbled on some TV coverage of a Bagger race and we both enjoyed it. The riders and machines were impressive. As for the brands, it harkened back to the '80s when we went to the dirt track at Springfield every year to watch the Harleys whoop up on the Yamahas, or vice versa.

The sound... no, thunder... when you experience it live, is over the top.

There are cubic dollars being poured into this, and into American Flat Track. Indian has a danged-near purpose-built race bike that caught Harley with their pants down. Yamaha, KTM, Royal Enfield are other notable names making a significant investment.

Nate Kern was out there on his R9T doing his best, but his budget cannot afford these speeds. He finished 5th in the Super Hooligans class, with the first four finishers not in sight. Road Atlanta is a high-speed track.

Interestingly, the race venues feature a number of fresh young faces amongst the spectators.

From Daytona a few weeks ago.

<blockquote class="tiktok-embed" cite="https://www.tiktok.com/@motoamerica/video/7073601556653886762" data-video-id="7073601556653886762" style="max-width: 605px;min-width: 325px;" > <section> <a target="_blank" title="@motoamerica" href="https://www.tiktok.com/@motoamerica">@motoamerica</a> History was made today at Daytona as Mission King Of The <a title="baggers" target="_blank" href="https://www.tiktok.com/tag/baggers">#Baggers</a> took to the high banks for their first practice session of the weekend. <a title="motorsport" target="_blank" href="https://www.tiktok.com/tag/motorsport">#motorsport</a> <a target="_blank" title="♬ original sound - MotoAmerica" href="https://www.tiktok.com/music/original-sound-7073601530913360686">♬ original sound - MotoAmerica</a> </section> </blockquote> <script async src="https://www.tiktok.com/embed.js"></script>

You'll find everything is packaged high and tight on these bikes, the amount of custom engineering is impressive.

I think it was said the seat height is 35-36"..... I believe even Zac Courts, at 6'2" couldn't flat foot it! :lol

It is kind of silly racing big fat bikes like this!

Last year at Laguna Seca the baggers were running (If I remember correctly!) ten seconds under the lap speed of best times for 1000 CC superbikes. Not bad considering! but then if you consider a superbike will turn roughly 89 second lap times they would lap a bagger in 8-9 laps.

I looked, best lap time for a superbike - 1:22 and change. Best kink of the Baggers, 1:31 and change.

It goes back to old school marketing with the flat track racing early in motorcycling, “Race on Sunday, Sell on Monday”

It would be interesting to see if there was a way to put a K1600b in the mix. I've read the big engines in the HD and Indians are putting out around 150 HP. Now I don't know if that's at the crank or the rear wheel. Although BMW constantly advertises the K1600 as "160 HP" every dyno run I've ever seen done on one put down about 135hp at the rear tire. You'd think the K1600b would run away from the slower revving twins, but you don't really know until one would roll up on the starting line.
In any event, it would be nice to see more than what, five bikes? line up to race.

Back