• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Daytime Running Light Color (Amber or White)

88bmwjeff

SF Bay Area
Daytime running lights for added visibility (to be seen rather than to illuminate the road). Do you think they should they be white or amber? Also, should they be floods, spots or hybrid (one of each)? I hope this isn't akin to an oil or tire thread. If it is, I'm sorry.

I have amber lens covers on my Cyclops aux lights. I think amber does a better job of promoting visibility.

16C92E36-54D8-41E7-8AC6-4A3BE036C1C3_1_102_o copy.jpg

Doug

On one bike I have a pair of white and a pair of amber, all LEDs. Each set has its’ own on/off switch in case a LEO should object. Been through speed traps and had many officers approach me on two lane roads. To date, no pullovers in four years of riding with these lights. :bow

While riding in the NC Mountains, I had a line of bikes coming towards me. They all had extra driving lights, but one bike had one driving light in White and one in Yellow color. It really stood out in the crowd. That is why after installing a set of Clearwater lights on my 2018 R1200RT, I installed a yellow and a clear lens cover on my driving lights.

R1150RT, and my approach was to replace the OEM low beam, hi beam and fog lights with standard replacement yellow bulbs. I then added 2 super bright, white LED Motolights lower on the forks, near the brake calipers. Give that recommended triangle shape of lights they say is more noticeable. Others I've ridden with say they don't have any problem seeing me. Always have wonder how I look from a distance to oncoming traffic though.

I am not trying to be a downer on lights, but most states have laws covering what types of colored lights a vehicle can have. Most states have laws that state “No vehicle shall be equipped with a light of any color other than white or amber mounted on the front nor shall any vehicle be equipped with a light of any color other than red mounted in the rear." So it might be legal in you state where you live to have different colored lights, but cross over state line those colored lights could make you subject to fine.

Clearwater makes a hi-vis yellow cover. I’ve seen the amber coming and the white coming, and frankly they are not nearly as visible as the hi-vis yellow. I know someone who had 1 amber and 1 white to improve visibility. All I know is Mr Clearwater himself said they did considerable research into their lens cover, and determined against most backgrounds, it stands out the best. FWIW. YMMV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stopped on a 2 lane, using amber running lights the State LEO didn't care for. It was apparent it was his "opinion", more visibility and safety for me.

It seems that adding daylight lights are a good thing:

This paper concluded that motorcycle DRLs manage to lessen the risk of collision about 4 to 20%

A distinct dependence of subjective conspicuity on the light configuration tested could be established irrespective of the vehicle. A 150% enhancement of conspicuity could be achieved with the use of DRL compared with dipped headlights. The results of the detection distance tests show a significant difference between the use of no light and dipped headlights, on the one hand, and the use different daytime running light configurations, on the other hand. No difference was established between the individual daytime running lights, but there was an average increase of around 80 m in the perceptibility distance.

But, also we are getting lost in a sea of other vehicle DRL's

“In countries already having introduced mandatory daytime running lights for all vehicles, studies of… additional motorcycle light arrangements, such as triangular lights, to maintain conspicuity, show little or no effect.”

In Australia bright yellow DRLs should be permitted on motorcycles but should continue to be disallowed on other vehicles. These would be far more effective as DRLs than headlights and have the potential to reduce fatal motorcycle crashes by more than 13%.

A yellow headlight has been show to be effective: https://www.svmc.se/smc_filer/SMC%20centralt/Se%20Oss/2015/PintoEtAl2014.pdf

From all of this, I pull out: adding additional lights may help, adding different light colors may help, adding hi-viz clothing/helmet may help, but riding like we are not being seen is still the most important thing we can do as riders.

From all of this, I pull out: adding additional lights may help, adding different light colors may help, adding hi-viz clothing/helmet may help, but riding like we are not being seen is still the most important thing we can do as riders.

Yep. I had a brand new hi-vis yellow & black jacket and helmet, and the first ride with the new gear a lady pulled out of a Starbucks driveway while looking right through me (literally, I looked her in the eye, and she just pulled out.)

Stopped on a 2 lane, using amber running lights the State LEO didn't care for. It was apparent it was his "opinion", more visibility and safety for me.

Had an AZ DPS [ state police ] turn around and pull me over for the D2 running lights blinding him [ during the day ]. He said they were illegal and law states they have to be adjusted to not do so.

I asked him if he knew what the statute actually stated, then pulled out the statute copied to my phone on height and distance adjustment. Explained mine were set per the law, and if he'd like to test them for correctness, we could go to a wall somewhere and at the correct distance check them for lawfulness.

He declined, as I knew statute 28-938. Spot and auxiliary lamps and had captured that statute in a picture which I keep on my phone.

"Not more than two fog lamps that are mounted on the front at a height of not less than twelve inches and not more than thirty inches above the level surface on which the vehicle stands and that are aimed so that when the vehicle is not loaded none of the high intensity portion of the light to the left of the center of the vehicle shall project, at a distance of twenty-five feet ahead, higher than a level of four inches below the level of the center of the lamp that is aimed."

If they are set properly, by law, they can whine all they want about my lights, I'm legal per statute. Never have been stopped but by the one joker who thought they were too bright and not set up properly.

As for brightness, the D2's are just below the state limit allowed for aux lights. Had that document from Denali on the phone should he have questioned me further as well.

Former leo here, I always research the laws pertaining to what I'm doing if not sure, to remain within the guidelines the state prescribes.

To learn about lighting join Candlepower Forums.

It's mostly flashlights, but has a good "transportation" section.

Daniel Stern often linked

No, you don't want yellow for anything.

To learn about lighting join Candlepower Forums.

It's mostly flashlights, but has a good "transportation" section.

Daniel Stern often linked

No, you don't want yellow for anything.

Okay, without having to spend the time there to find out why not yellow/amber,

clue us in please, this should get interesting

thanks

I know he's talking about Daniel Stern Lighting but IIRC, back when the site was up to date, Stern always recommended staying with warmer (ie yellower) lighting than cooler (bluer) lighting for the reduction in glare and enhancement of contrast, and specifically called for yellow fogs... So I'm at a loss too.

Amber or yellow auxiliary lights(the ONLY color other than white allowed to project forward) will always stand out better in a sea of oncoming white headlights or other daytime running lights than white auxiliary lights. That is what you are trying to accomplish.

:dance:dance:dance

Back