• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2003 K1200GT - Flashing "Brake Failure & Hazard" Warning Lights

mpsaxon

When the bike is cold the Brake Failure and Hazard lights flash back and forth. It will stop once operating temperature is reached and the bike is turned off. I had the same problem with my R1100. It was never resolved and the bike ran fine. The lights are really distracting while riding.

I heard that the problem can be caused by a weak battery or low brake fluid. I just installed a new battery and the fluid level is fine.

Any ideas?

When the bike is cold the Brake Failure and Hazard lights flash back and forth. It will stop once operating temperature is reached and the bike is turned off. I had the same problem with my R1100. It was never resolved and the bike ran fine. The lights are really distracting while riding.

I heard that the problem can be caused by a weak battery or low brake fluid. I just installed a new battery and the fluid level is fine.

Any ideas?

1. Have the new battery load tested after being on an appropriate charger overnight. Even a new battery can sometimes be deficient.

2. Check voltage at the battery terminal with bike running at 2500 rpm or so. Should see 14.0-14.2v if charging system is working correctly.

3. Check fluid levels in both sections of the reservoir located behind the RH panel below the seat. The inner one is difficult to see; both reservoirs have a small screw-off cap. The inner ones often get overlooked and throw a “low fluid” warning of alternating lights at 1k frequency.

4. When starting, delay pressing the starter button for 6-10 seconds after turning on the key, so self-checks can complete before starting. Failure to complete self checks can result in error lights.

Your issue sounds most like a low-voltage situation at startup, common with bikes that don’t get ridden frequently or far. But, the above checks should eliminate the two most common issues causing flashing lights on iABS bikes. If the problem is low voltage it’s common for the lights to disappear if the bike is ridden for a few mikes then powered off and restarted.

HTH,

DeVern

flashing ABS light

Did you figure it out? I had the ABS light flashing, first I thought it was the battery. Replaced it.. still flashed. Removed the rear caliper. Thin brake pads. Replaced those. still it flashed. Finally when getting home from a 2 week trip with all this stuff going on.... rear brake pedal. if the microswitch isn't properly turning on the brake lights? Now when the rapid flashing ABS light I push up on the brake pedal. Slows to a second per flash. :heart

2003 BMW K1200RS

Tim Lindstrom or hfbmw
Columbia Heights, MN

Did you figure it out? I had the ABS light flashing, first I thought it was the battery. Replaced it.. still flashed. Removed the rear caliper. Thin brake pads. Replaced those. still it flashed. Finally when getting home from a 2 week trip with all this stuff going on.... rear brake pedal. if the microswitch isn't properly turning on the brake lights? Now when the rapid flashing ABS light I push up on the brake pedal. Slows to a second per flash. :heart

2003 BMW K1200RS

You have iABS on your bike and apparently still have a brake issue. From http://largiader.com/abs/absfault.html:
iABS fault codes

These should be listed on a sticker supplied with the bike or a table in the Rider's Manual.

Gen OFF, ABS ON = Only residual braking in both circuits.
Gen OFF, ABS flashes at 1Hz = ABS not available. Pull-away test not completed.
Gen OFF, ABS flashes at 4Hz = Only residual braking function available in both circuits. Self-diagnosis not completed.
Gen ON, ABS off = Tail light/brake light defective.
Gen ON, ABS flashes at 1 Hz = At least one brake circuit without ABS.
Gen ON, ABS flashes at 4Hz =At least one brake circuit in residual braking function mode.
Gen AND ABS flashing alternately at 1Hz = Fluid level in Integral ABS too low.

Sounds like the microswitch on your rear brake pedal needs adjusting or replacing. Try pulling up on the brake pedal BEFORE you start the bike, since if that switch is activated at startup the self-check may not complete properly. If you are still getting warning lights after starting off, without touching the brakes, the chart above should help pinpoint where to look next.

Best,
DeVern

Back