• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1985 K100RS wiring question.

mcmlcccvrs

I am getting ready to install a pair of CREE 10W 800 lumen auxiliary driving lights on my front forks utilizing the front fender forward mounting location. I haven't decided how I am going to connect it electrically yet. I have an unused accessory harness which used the positive terminal on the alternator and is fused. If I wanted to use this harness would I need to fuse the lights because I would be running them off of the alternator? I believe I also have a heated handgrips 2-wire connector ( brown-green/black) under the tank that will work too. I would just have to snip the connector off and make up a pair of molex connectors.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Tom

I am getting ready to install a pair of CREE 10W 800 lumen auxiliary driving lights on my front forks utilizing the front fender forward mounting location. I haven't decided how I am going to connect it electrically yet. I have an unused accessory harness which used the positive terminal on the alternator and is fused. If I wanted to use this harness would I need to fuse the lights because I would be running them off of the alternator? I believe I also have a heated handgrips 2-wire connector ( brown-green/black) under the tank that will work too. I would just have to snip the connector off and make up a pair of molex connectors.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Tom

You really don’t want aux lights wired direct to alternator or to other circuits of unknown wire gauge and fusing. It’s a pretty simple task to run two-conductor automotive wire under the tank to the battery, where connections are easy and fusing easily accessible. You haven’t indicated how you plan to switch the lights, but if you want them auto-on/auto-off with the bike’s ignition an inexpensive relay triggered by the parking lamp in the headlight nacelle would be one option. You could also trigger the relay off the taillight feed, and mount the relay under the seat where it, too, is easily accessible.

Best,
DeVern

I agree with DeVern. I added a Blue Sea box in my under seat storage (above the battery), to distribute power to additional accessories. I like having them on their own circuits, fused, and be able to turn them off at the ignition. 10W isn't much draw and may not need a relay. Also, I used a really simple mounting system under the headlight, attached to the fairing. I included a small piece of aluminum inside the fairing to add support for the mount.

In theory, the lamps mounted on the forks, especially below the suspension, will take more road vibration which could lead to bulb failure. Mounted on the fairing they’re at least somewhat isolated. Good luck with your project.

E7D21433-7A94-4F1A-859A-869C4E75ACCB.jpg

You really don’t want aux lights wired direct to alternator or to other circuits of unknown wire gauge and fusing. It’s a pretty simple task to run two-conductor automotive wire under the tank to the battery, where connections are easy and fusing easily accessible. You haven’t indicated how you plan to switch the lights, but if you want them auto-on/auto-off with the bike’s ignition an inexpensive relay triggered by the parking lamp in the headlight nacelle would be one option. You could also trigger the relay off the taillight feed, and mount the relay under the seat where it, too, is easily accessible.

Best,
DeVern
+1 . ^^^ this. Consider a fuseblock connected to the battery: https://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Wiring_Kits/Fuseboxes/PC-8/pc-8.html . Then activate the aux lights with relays: https://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Wiring_Kits/H4_Kits/h4_kits.html .

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies. If I=P/V then the current for each is 10W/12V=.83333A. I don't think that necessitates a relay. My plan is to activate the lights through an extra rocker switch as I want them independently switched. As mentioned before one idea was to source the 12V from the unused heated hand grip connector and I think that is the way I will go. I'll pull the tank this weekend and make sure that will work.

I have no idea what the high/low power rating is of heated hand grips but I'll bet even the low is more than 10W.

Back