• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What bike is this?

qbrodie

qBrodie
Hoping for some help identifying this beautiful motorcycle. I fell in love with this bike in Great Falls last summer. Can anyone tell me the year and model of this bike? Thanks for your help!

PS. I don’t post much so I hope I did this right. See attached photo.

Attachments

• 23277F1D-DD72-45DF-947E-928D6ADBF6FC.jpg
    23277F1D-DD72-45DF-947E-928D6ADBF6FC.jpg
    502 KB · Views: 249
Looks like a K100RS, I do t see ABS , so maybe a late ‘80’s model? They only made the K100 from ‘83-‘92. The RD was the Sport Touring model

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It is a 1985 K100RS.

The shape of the rear corner of the seat indicates a 1985 or earlier. I don’t belive they imported the RS until the 1985 model year.

:dance:dance:dance

It is an '85 model that has had the wheels, footpeg bracket and crank cover painted black. All those parts originally came in as cast aluminum color. I don't think that is the original red color either. The red back then was Lava Red that faded into a disgusting metallic orange! DAMHIK

Frank

I must be losing it, I just realize I have the same bike sitting waiting to get cut up for parts. 51797 is right it's cast aluminum and the red is faded. I will try to post a picture later.

That sure is a nice clean bike. Wasn't 84 the first year they imported the K100's to the US.

The first 19 K100RSs built for the US were built between 3/84 and 5/84. These were most likely Press bikes and show/dealer demo type bikes. The next 500 bikes for the US were built 7/84 and would have been designated 1985 models as BMW starts their new year model production at the end of summer vacation.

The same thing happened with the US introduction of the K75S. I have two of the first US K75Ss (#5 and #81) both were built in May of 1986, but were designated as 1987 models. Since new models (of both cars and bikes) usually come out in September, if they had designated them ‘86 models, the public would have, by May, thought they were already old. But by designating them as 1987 models, the public felt that this newly introduced model was truly something new.

Hoping for some help identifying this beautiful motorcycle. I fell in love with this bike in Great Falls last summer. Can anyone tell me the year and model of this bike? Thanks for your help!

PS. I don’t post much so I hope I did this right. See attached photo.

That bike actually belongs to and was built by one of the members of our local club BMW NorCal. ( bmwnorcal.org )
VERY nice bike!

It is an '85 model that has had the wheels, footpeg bracket and crank cover painted black. All those parts originally came in as cast aluminum color. I don't think that is the original red color either. The red back then was Lava Red that faded into a disgusting metallic orange! DAMHIK

Frank

Quite so Frank.
This is a beautiful bike! It looks like an later '85 as it has the second iteration of the footpeg mounts with the isolatic dampers like they used on the exhaust mounts. The earliest had a direct bolt to the frame type that had quite a buzz. Jim Miller, an old motojournalist, was one of the writers that got to ride one of the first 6 K100RS's that BMW sent to Cali as a press junket,with a mechanic in tow. They all complained about the beehive in the pegs and bars.
This bike also has an aftermarket seat, probably a Corbin, as the pillion handles have been deleted.

Lee, when did the BMW introduce the painted and turned wheels on the K bikes?

First gen mounts:

Attachments

• s-l640.jpg
    s-l640.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 143
The owner probably did that or had it done.

These wheels are what I was referring to. I just ran into a set to put on my next RS project. After seeing this one now I have to polish mine!:clap

Attachments

• s-l1000.jpg
    s-l1000.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 137
Lee, when did the BMW introduce the painted and turned wheels on the K bikes?

Dani,

The machined black wheels were standard on the ‘88 K75S. Not sure when that wheel was used on the K 100.

They are slightly different from the silver wheels in that the silver parts of the black wheels are machined flat where on the silver wheels they are cast rounded.

Last edited:
What bike is this

Dani,

The machined black wheels were standard on the ‘88 K75S. Not sure when that wheel was used on the K 100.

They are slightly different from the silver wheels in that the silver parts of the black wheels are machined flat where on the silver wheels they are cast rounded.

Thanks so much Lee :bow

Dani,

I take it you're referring to the wheel in post #15 and not post #1?

I don't remember seeing the machined finish on the rim and spokes from the factory like the ones pictured on the K100RS.

The wheels in post #1 were polished by the owner. I am not sure if he started with the same wheels as in post #15, or his original wheels. The closer I look at the wheels in #1, the more I think they are polished and painted original silver wheels. I’ll have to take a closer look next time I see the bike.

Most every piece of the bike in post #1 has been repainted, polished, plated, or replaced.

Last edited:
What bike is this

I had a call from Lee Fulton about this bike. I am the proud owner. I bought it March 7, 1986. It now has over 191,000 miles (and counting). It still has the original speedometer. I had it repainted this color of red in 1988 after the front had a lot of stone chips. Many parts have been power coted black. The ribs on the cylinder head and the crank case I hand sanded down to 600 grit sand paper. Other black areas that are not metal are painted. The wheels are polished and the black areas are painted. I hand sanded the edges of the spokes.

This bike has been at MOA rallies in 1986, 1987, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1993, 1995, 1998, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2013, 2015, 2017, 2021.

Back