• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1985 K100RS top case with no key for lock.

mcmlcccvrs

I found myself a 22L top case. In Canada no less! The box is open and unlocked but the fellow can't find the key for the lock. So will I need:

1. Just another lock barrel and key?
2. Just a blank key?
3. A lock barrel and key and latch assembly? I don't know if I can remove the current lock barrel from the latch without a key but you guys will.

Thanks,
Tom

All you need to do is disassemble the lock and remove the barrel. Then insert your ignition key and grind off the tabs that extend past the barrel EXCEPT for the tab furthest from the key. That is the one that holds the barrel in the lock.

This has been the official BMW method of rekeying early K bike locks since the service bulletin came out in 1989.

:dance:dance:dance

Curious...what brand is the top case? Any markings on the mechanism?

It's a bonafide BMW case from an '85RT in beautiful condition judging by the photos. Don't know if there are any markings on the mechanism as I don't have it yet.

All you need to do is disassemble the lock and remove the barrel. Then insert your ignition key and grind off the tabs that extend past the barrel EXCEPT for the tab furthest from the key. That is the one that holds the barrel in the lock.

This has been the official BMW method of rekeying early K bike locks since the service bulletin came out in 1989.

Thanks, Lee. And since reading your post I googled "re-keying Kbike locks" and found an article on Kbikeparts.com on exactly how to do what you mention.

EDIT. I didn't read through the article. According to Drake I'll need the original key to remove the lock core so that I can then re-key. Scroll down to the 22L top case section. See here.

http://www.kbikeparts.com/classickbikes.com/ckb.tech/0.ckb.tech.files/rekey/rekey.htm

Last edited:
Tom,

Drake is correct. I forgot that the 22L case is the one lock that needs the original key to disassemble (inconvenient design).

You may be able to take the lock and Drake’s instructions to a locksmith and have him remove the barrel (pick the lock) or try sending me the lock and I’ll try the couple dozen keys that I have to remove the barrel.:dunno

Okay. More information and an update. I've just been communicating with the seller. He has the lock cylinder out. The key he has that allows the lock cylinder to be rotated and removed from the latch assembly won't turn and lock the unit once reinstalled back into the latch assembly. So all I'll have to do is re-key it if that's the case.

Thanks,
Tom

Back