Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Flying with a full face helmet

Quote Originally Posted by rwadamsidaho View Post
    In July of 2022 and June of 2023 I will be doing Edelweiss tours in Iceland and Norway. I was wondering what advice members might have about flying with my gear, especially my Aria XD4 Helmet. I am thinking I might want to put it in a ridged carry-on. What is your experience?
    I used a big gear bag that holds all my stuff: boots, riding suit and helmet. I put the helmet in a padded helmet bag and put it in the gear bag and it emerged without damage, both directions.

I bought the BMW Giant Bag or whatever it was called, and the helmet bag they sold.

It's pretty close to this one: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...sku_id=1125934

Helmet bag was kinda like this one: https://www.bobsbmw.com/store/produc...ort-helmet-bag
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Quote Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
    I used a big gear bag that holds all my stuff: boots, riding suit and helmet. I put the helmet in a padded helmet bag and put it in the gear bag and it emerged without damage, both directions.

I bought the BMW Giant Bag or whatever it was called, and the helmet bag they sold.

It's pretty close to this one: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...sku_id=1125934

Helmet bag was kinda like this one: https://www.bobsbmw.com/store/produc...ort-helmet-bag
    I looked at that one but its 10" over what united says its Max 62" policy is. We ended up being able to fit them into our Scuba Diving roller bags. I am going to put them in a couple Milk Crate like file crate's just to help keep the pressure off them when they pile items up. Flying is such a PIA and the Airlines just make it as frustrating as possible.

Thanks for the reference

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalRider View Post
    NEVER in 26 years of touring the Alps. As I already mentioned, my helmet/carrying bag and all my motorcycle gear in a soft backpack are carry-ons. You cannot afford to lose that.

They tried based on the number of my carry-ons, but that wasn't an issue either. BTW, a helmet is a safety device and cannot be checked like your everyday luggage.

The biggest issue are those a-hole passengers that bring on oversized hard luggage that barely fit into the overheads especially on smaller aircraft, just so that they do not have to wait at the luggage carousel.
    United says if its too fragile or valuable to go in checked luggage you have to buy a seat ticket for it and strap it in

Quote Originally Posted by jsd View Post
    United says if its too fragile or valuable to go in checked luggage you have to buy a seat ticket for it and strap it in
    Shove your riding gear in your gear bag and your helmet is your carry on. I've done that, too.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

As long as your personal item fits under the seat in front of you the flight attendants won’t care, and the gate agents are usually too preoccupied with checking boarding passes to look closely at a personal item. Have your poop in a group when you approach the gate and they won’t look twice at you.

I had a gate agent in Europe declare my carry-on bag was too large and had to be gate-checked. After she tagged it and turned to the next passenger I quietly picked up the bag and carried it onboard, where the friendly attendant showed me how to position the bag so the bin would close, and away we went.

Forgiveness is easier to get than permission.

Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S-PD — 2010 K1300GT — 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

I just flew back and forth from Montreal for a fly and ride a couple of weeks ago. No issue with my helmet as carry on. My tank bag has back pack straps which makes for super easy travel for a fly and ride.
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon 7frrnSRiTt9Fk

Hemet is packed.

Well its packed, will know in 36 hrs if it makes it in one piece. Managed to fit it into a file crate along with stuffing it full of gear, will lay my back protector over it as well so it should be pretty safe from drop damage anyways.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Man, talk about making things look over-complicated. Now I know why so many go on an organized tour.

When Voni and I, and our two kids then 9 and 11 were packing for our very first two-week motorcycle tour and camping trip I was concerned with bikes and parts and tools and riding gear and Voni was concerned with her stuff and the kids stuff and camping gear and miscellaneous and everything else. She was getting stressed. And then out of the mouths of babes came the following exclamation from our 9 year old daughter who was born seemingly knowing everything: "Mom, they have stores there too, you know."

So when we flew to Africa for a couple of months of touring, or to New Zealand for a couple of weeks of riding, or to Germany for Intermot, or when I went to Spain for the press unveiling of the K1200, we packed our riding gear - jackets, pants, boots, helmets, gloves, etc - in a big (former) Air Force duffel bag. We made sure it was insured for a reasonable amount and off we flew, knowing that as our 9 year old once told us, "They have stores there too, you know."

Now I do need to say that these trips were more than 10 years ago and the airlines were doing better with almost every aspect of their business back then. But still, a person can only cram so much stuff under a seat or in an overhead bin, and can only lug so much hurrying from gate to gate in Honolulu or Newark or Amsterdam.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

When I flew to Tennessee a few years ago to pick up my RT that I won in the Superstakes I put my boots in a soft tall bag and jammed my helmet over the top of the boots, zipped it all up and carried it on no problem. When I was emptying my pockets at the security area, I realized I had my Swiss Army knife on me. I quickly stuck it down one of the boots and prayed for the best. They never noticed it in the x-ray machine!

After I returned from the ride home a few days later there was a news report in the paper that said more than a dozen security people at Newark had been fired. I always wondered if they reviewed the images and saw my knife not get detected and it was because of me one or two of them were fired.

I always wondered that since you’re allowed to wear a hat while flying, could you wear your helmet as a “hat”?
    "The two most important days in your life are the day you were born, and the day you find out why" -- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicVW View Post
    I always wondered that since you’re allowed to wear a hat while flying, could you wear your helmet as a “hat”?
    Well, OTOH some LEOs consider a helmet a potential weapon so I’d put your odds at 50-50 at best.

Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S-PD — 2010 K1300GT — 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Survived with no issues

Well its packed, will know in 36 hrs if it makes it in one piece. Managed to fit it into a file crate along with stuffing it full of gear, will lay my back protector over it as well so it should be pretty safe from drop damage anyways.
    Well the trip is over and the packing using the file crate worked perfectly. Actually laid jacket over the top so the back protector sat on top of the helmet and all worked out great. There is no way we would have been allowed to carry them on, United was eyeing everyone going aboard as both flights were filled complete and overhead bins were maxed out. Glad we took the safe route and packed them up.

There is no way we would have been allowed to carry them on.
    Well how would you know unless you tried. I don't have to worry about it; been doing it for 26 years and that means 104 flights. Never had an issue.

United was eyeing everyone going aboard as both flights were filled complete and overhead bins were maxed out.
    That is what bugs me too. People are too much in a rush and lazy to check their luggage that hardly fits in the overhead bins. I gave a few people **** this past summer for being ignorant. The plane cannot leave till everything is closed up and people seated.

[QUOTE=GlobalRider;1290364]Well how would you know unless you tried. I don't have to worry about it; been doing it for 26 years and that means 104 flights. Never had an issue.

Out of my touring group of 14 other riders and passengers most packed their helmets several others carried them aboard. Two separate travelers on separate flights later reported getting pulled aside going thru Italy's TSA on the return flight. Having to argue that the helmet was not armor or a weapon. They then had to speak to a supervisor who then let them pass. It's just not worth the hassle or apprehension to me to try to skirt the rules to carry on something that's in the grey area per TSA and oversized per the airlines. My fellow travelers just reinforced the reasons I used a $7 file crate and packed them in checked luggage.

On your other note, yep plane was packed, not a single empty seat and they were asking everyone, not enforcing but asking them to check all carry on bags as well for free. This greatly helped with the loading and off loading of the plane without people struggling with their overhead bins. More and more people are carrying on oversized bags to get around fees and lost luggage its airlines trying to make a few $$ but when its convenient for them all the sudden the fees are gone.

More and more people are carrying on oversized bags to get around fees and lost luggage...
    Exactly why all my riding gear is "carry on"....period. Now I am there for 6+ weeks so spending a few days to find gear I like is not an issue but for riders on a 10 day organized tour, can they afford to lose gear? Imagine trying to get gear if it is lost with no time to spare and having to spend upwards of $2000 and filing a claim. Issues I do not need on vacation.

Anyway, whatever works for most people.