• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2007 K12GT Running rough

brianhinton

2018 Rally Chair
This started a little before Christmas last year and have just now got around to looking at it more in depth. I changed the battery with a fresh Odyssey just the other day and she started right up! Then I hopped on and took a spring ride only to have a huge loss of power and then a lower note coming from the engine…? No codes on the 911 …..I’m thinking maybe plugs or fuel pump issue? Any ideas ??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

How many miles on the bike, when was it last fully serviced and to what extent? Is the bike up to date on recalls and bulletins, especially WRT the fuel pump recall that may apply to this bike and the cam chain jump guard campaign?

For a bike that’s been sitting, water in fuel or degraded fuel, and clogged or sticky injectors are possible. Fresh gas and a dose of red HEET would help with water, and a dose of SeaFoam or BG-44 should help with injector issues—but those are all dependent upon the bike being rideable enough to run through a couple tanks of fuel. No fuel filter to worry about on this model, but depending upon service history degraded sparkplugs or plug coils could be possible. Lastly, there were issues on the early wedge-k bikes with sticky valves or solenoids in the airbox, but IIRC that usually presented as an idle control problem, not a power loss while running.

Start with the easy stuff first, like fresh fuel and treatments, and see where that goes.

Best,
DeVern

120k on the bike…I think….All recalls were done and the bike has been running fine for the last 30k miles….it just occurred to me that at about 92k miles, the bike lost a coil and was running in three cylinders……that is what I’m experiencing now that I think back on it….and I’ll have to consult my paperwork, but I think only the offending coil pack was replaced. It might be a good time for new plugs and coil packs….needs to be done anyway….now to only find time to break it all down and get in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back