• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

My small engines are sobbing

We are fortunate out here in the hinterlands. Just about every station sells ethanol free premium gas….. as it should be.

If non-ethanol gas is required for small engines that might be damaged by alcohol, one can make their own by mixing water with the ethanol gas and allowing the water/alcohol mixture to precipitate out. The Internet has detailed instructions on how to do this and container/processing kits are available where legal to sell them. There is a small octane reduction to consider as well, along with appropriate safety procedures and caution when handling the gas.

Did you try the web site Pure gas?:wave

Yeah….. the best I have been able to do on the local level is 104 octane non-ethanol near a local track. Last time it was $11.00/gal. When using it, the gas fumes (aroma) :) was like a trip back in time. It even pours like a light oil rather than water.

Hey Eugene :wave

OM

I see your closes station is one is in Needham , MA. $6.00 here now for 92 Oct.;)

Looking at the details, it seems most are selling the “canned” fuel like the home centers sell. I think that a SUNOCO gas station would be the best bet. Nothing local along those supply lines.
It has been a big seller at the lawnmower/small engine repair shops- about $22.00/gal.
OM

This seems to only affect a small portion of the gas supply...I heard that it was 2%. The article mentions that it involves a few thousand pumps that normally stop selling E15 but won't this summer in a way to help.

I wish they would leave the (sweet) corn on the cob. Two problems solved and I would only need to look for butter. :eat
OM

The world will be facing a food shortage this coming fall as the loss of crops from Ukraine and parts of Russia fall short. And here in the US we consume 40% of the corn crop making ethanol. Using the corn to help feed the world and keep food costs down is a better policy than ethanol as far as I am concerned.

The world will be facing a food shortage this coming fall as the loss of crops from Ukraine and parts of Russia fall short. And here in the US we consume 40% of the corn crop making ethanol. Using the corn to help feed the world and keep food costs down is a better policy than ethanol as far as I am concerned.

+1. Ethanol gas is cronyism at work...The OP's article mentioned the secy of agriculture pitted against some environmental lady in the WH. No one with actual expertise in lowering costs, increasing supply, consequences of futures speculation etc etc. Just the agribusiness VS the kill IC at all costs peeps.we are screwed

Paul, humans can't consume the type of corn used to make ethanol. Unless you are on the carnivore diet, then you can feast on all the beef, pork, and chicken you want. A byproduct of ethanol production is dried distillers grain. It is a better feed stuff to grow those tasty animals than straight corn. By utilizing dried distillers grain it allows 40% of US corn production to be converted to food humans can consume. From your friend from Nebraska, the beef and corn state.

Bingo! :thumb
I have always said that burning a food source as fuel is a moronic idea at best.....

Paul, humans can't consume the type of corn used to make ethanol. Unless you are on the carnivore diet, then you can feast on all the beef, pork, and chicken you want. A byproduct of ethanol production is dried distillers grain. It is a better feed stuff to grow those tasty animals than straight corn. By utilizing dried distillers grain it allows 40% of US corn production to be converted to food humans can consume. From your friend from Nebraska, the beef and corn state.

It isn't that that bothers me about ethanol so much- the whole meat thing is a story in itself- as well as the quantities we consume and the production thereof (I LOVE meat BTW- lately only buying locally produced-upstate NY) Anyway- the Oglala reservoir, source of irrigation for ethanol corn and the production of ethanol, is losing BILLIONS of gallons a year- so we can have lower MPG, damage to carbourated engines and small engine damage. If I were the paranoid type, I'd think the entire ethanol canard is a confluence of agribusiness special interest, dubious environmental claims and shady politicking and bad regulations by the administrative state...good thing I'm not paranoid!

The link below- which I scanned and didn't read in depth is from what appears to be an Ethanol industry publication...and it don't look good for Oglala. do we really want the trade off given the potential we have for drilling oil, transporting and exporting as well as development of other sources? I take my gas straight-up please. (We won't even get into recent supply issues aka Ukr**ne)

http://www.ethanolproducer.com/articles/3570/the-future-of-the-ogallala-aquifer/

Last edited:

I really don't want to prolong an argument, but many millions of people in Central and South America, and an equal number in sub-Saharan Africa who eat tortillas or other corn masa almost every day would disagree. As would the largest employer in Battle Creek, Michigan, the home of Kellogg's Corn Flakes.

What Paul said... plus the grits, cornmeal and 36lbs of corn syrup we all consume per year

Yeah….. the best I have been able to do on the local level is 104 octane non-ethanol near a local track. Last time it was $11.00/gal. When using it, the gas fumes (aroma) :) was like a trip back in time. It even pours like a light oil rather than water.

OM

I just picked up the VP racing, non-ethanol as I had mentioned. I was off on the octane, it's 94 with no ethanol. Currently, $14.00/gal. At a local hardware store yesterday, by the gallon can, $28.99.
My small engines were smiling. :)
OM

Humans can and do directly consume that kind of corn, grits, cornmeal, tortillas and tamales, Corn flakes…
Just not as sweet corn on the cob for eating.

I wish there was a non-ethanol station within a reasonable distance.

Omega Man, I buy 100LL avgas (100 octane low lead) at my local airport. Run it in my dirt bikes and old BMWs. NO ETHANOL and lasts a long time. I can also buy NO ETHANOL gasoline at a few local stations. 100LL avgas is awesome for chainsaws, mowers, etc. Check with your local airport?

Omega Man, I buy 100LL avgas (100 octane low lead) at my local airport. Run it in my dirt bikes and old BMWs. NO ETHANOL and lasts a long time. I can also buy NO ETHANOL gasoline at a few local stations. 100LL avgas is awesome for chainsaws, mowers, etc. Check with your local airport?

I could run aviation fuel but do realize it is a different formulation. There is an airport close by but as the cost(s) are somewhere in the middle of pump gas and race fuel, I stay with what has been working.

I haven’t really gotten past the random opinions on the actual performance/storage/engine for the mostly 2-stroke engines I use it in.

7E6AE317-D06F-40DD-B12B-DA1DF15DAAD9.png

(From Thumpertalk) https://www.thumpertalk.com/forums/...-and-advantages-of-using-avgas-for-2-strokes/

I have had a number of people suggesting avgas but are still aware of plane owners using pump gas in planes with engines rated for pump gas. :dunno

Thanks.

OM

Back