Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 30 of 30

Thread: Ear plugs when riding?

  1. #16
    Registered User cwilhelm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Midland, MI
    Posts
    65
    I am a huge fan of EarPeace. I liked the NoNoise earplugs, but they are a bit bulkier than EarPeace. They now have an EarPeace Pro for motorcycle riding which is tuned for that application, fit the ear better, and are very comfortable. They are a bit pricey, but they come with a spare earplug in case you lose one. My current set is a couple years old, but they donít really wear out. I suspect custom molded earplugs are the best, but I really love to listen to music when Iím riding, and when with others, participate in the conversation.

  2. #17
    Registered User cwilhelm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Midland, MI
    Posts
    65
    And if you need a nudge to get ear protection, Iíve been riding 12 years now. The first 4 without ear protection on a sport bike without much of a windshield, and putting ~10k miles a year on it. That was enough to give me tinnitus. Itís not bad, but it is constant. And it never gets any better. Thankfully a couple helicopter pilot friends in the MOA politely explained why I needed to get some earplugs. It took a bit of adjustment for me, but my symptoms have not worsened since I started using ear protection.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  3. #18
    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    18,237
    Quote Originally Posted by cwilhelm View Post
    And if you need a nudge to get ear protection, Iíve been riding 12 years now. The first 4 without ear protection on a sport bike without much of a windshield, and putting ~10k miles a year on it. That was enough to give me tinnitus. Itís not bad, but it is constant. And it never gets any better. Thankfully a couple helicopter pilot friends in the MOA politely explained why I needed to get some earplugs. It took a bit of adjustment for me, but my symptoms have not worsened since I started using ear protection.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Tinnitus- apparently 40 million of us have it.

    https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...-least-ringing

    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

  4. #19
    Registered User lkchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    6,632
    Seems unlikely studio quality or audiophile quality sound is going to happen in a motorcycle helmet with bike in motion.

    You can--like me--just listen to 50s on 5 (now 72) where that music wasn't recorded to a high sophistication level in the first place.

    Really cool book called Brain Rules points out that the human brain is incapable of multitasking. That means simultaneously ... of course sequentially happens. So, in the same moment in time you're either hearing the fine nuances of the music or you're comprehending the road in front of you ... but not both. It's not an audiophile listening environment.

    My earplugs are 3M E-A-Rsoft Yellow Neon Blasts rated 33db from a box of 200 pairs I bought from Amazon several years ago. Any stop along the way where I take them out ... they are replaced by new ones, as it seems to me most plugs like this are one time use only. I can hear Sirius just fine.

    I had some custom plugs made once, but for me something hard in my ears is not compatible for comfort with wearing a helmet.

    PS: I got tinnitus in 1969 following a bout of pneumonia. Dr at the time advised sleeping with radio on.
    Kent Christensen
    21482
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S

  5. #20
    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    18,237
    Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post

    PS: I got tinnitus in 1969 following a bout of pneumonia. Dr at the time advised sleeping with radio on.
    Very helpful if you have this condition. It helps to ďset asideĒ the noise.

    More here- https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...-least-ringing

    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

  6. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    Seems unlikely studio quality or audiophile quality sound is going to happen in a motorcycle helmet with bike in motion.

    You can--like me--just listen to 50s on 5 (now 72) where that music wasn't recorded to a high sophistication level in the first place.

    Really cool book called Brain Rules points out that the human brain is incapable of multitasking. That means simultaneously ... of course sequentially happens. So, in the same moment in time you're either hearing the fine nuances of the music or you're comprehending the road in front of you ... but not both. It's not an audiophile listening environment.

    My earplugs are 3M E-A-Rsoft Yellow Neon Blasts rated 33db from a box of 200 pairs I bought from Amazon several years ago. Any stop along the way where I take them out ... they are replaced by new ones, as it seems to me most plugs like this are one time use only. I can hear Sirius just fine.

    I had some custom plugs made once, but for me something hard in my ears is not compatible for comfort with wearing a helmet.

    PS: I got tinnitus in 1969 following a bout of pneumonia. Dr at the time advised sleeping with radio on.
    Incorrect, we humans multitask all the time. We can simultaneously apply the front brake and rear brake, we can simultaneously pull the clutch lever and shift gears with out left foot, all while listening to music piped to the helmet while keeping our eyes on the road.

    Looking down to see the garmin, our brains can still do all the above without crashing. Music isn't a distraction, some people find it so, others do not. 300K down the road in 50 years, 1/2 of that listening to music either through the dash board or through the helmet. If my brain couldn't multitask, I'd have crashed long before this.

    If we couldn't multitask or operate machinery while listening to music, the NTSB would have banned radios from cages decades ago.
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

    https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

  7. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    213
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodbutcher View Post
    I use the Hearos blue foam plugs and can hear my Sena 20 just fine. Much nicer riding with earplugs, I am much less tired when I get off the bike
    I've used those squishy blue plugs with a Freecom 1 headsets inside a Shoei helmet for a few years now. Had my listening tested by an audiologist last year and passed with flying colors. Around the block or across the country, those blue plugs go in my ears, whatever bike I ride. But it does increase my listening pleasure with the RT's windshield in the up position to take down the wind noise.

    BTW Those plugs also drown out the noise of a fellow-campers C-PAP machine in the tent next door.

    YMMV.

  8. #23

    Splugs

    We tried many things, including mold-them-yourself ear plugs/speakers but finally settled on wired Splugs

    https://www.plugup.com/best_and_most...22-3.5-4.5.htm

  9. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Okanagan Valley, BC
    Posts
    528
    I like these because:
    - They provide excellent audio isolation and thus protect your hearing.
    - They come with a bunch of earplugs so you can find the right fit.
    - They are right angle at the earbuds so the wire is directed downward.
    - They are small.
    - They do not have a right angle audio plug making them easier to plug in to the jack on my helmet.
    - They have superior strain relief at the audio plug.
    - They have a short cord.

    https://h2oaudio.com/products/surge-...nes-short-cord

  10. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    EAST BAY FL
    Posts
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by RadioFlyer View Post
    I like these because:
    - They provide excellent audio isolation and thus protect your hearing.
    - They come with a bunch of earplugs so you can find the right fit.
    - They are right angle at the earbuds so the wire is directed downward.
    - They are small.
    - They do not have a right angle audio plug making them easier to plug in to the jack on my helmet.
    - They have superior strain relief at the audio plug.
    - They have a short cord.

    https://h2oaudio.com/products/surge-...nes-short-cord
    thanks,I'm going to try these. They are on Amazon for $39, same as their website, but with free, no questions asked returns.

  11. #26
    Registered User lkchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    6,632
    Quote Originally Posted by brownie0486 View Post
    Incorrect, we humans multitask all the time. We can simultaneously apply the front brake and rear brake, we can simultaneously pull the clutch lever and shift gears with out left foot, all while listening to music piped to the helmet while keeping our eyes on the road.

    Looking down to see the garmin, our brains can still do all the above without crashing. Music isn't a distraction, some people find it so, others do not. 300K down the road in 50 years, 1/2 of that listening to music either through the dash board or through the helmet. If my brain couldn't multitask, I'd have crashed long before this.

    If we couldn't multitask or operate machinery while listening to music, the NTSB would have banned radios from cages decades ago.
    Look up the book ... it's written by a Harvard brain surgeon. You're describing sequential actions, not simultaneous actions.
    Kent Christensen
    21482
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S

  12. #27

    S Plugs

    We tried several mold-them-yourself versions before settling on "S Plugs" There are no doubt other good options. The vendor of these is an audiologist who also makes custom molded plugs, but these work well enough for us. You will be able to hear much better (via Cardo or Sena devices) with these. We just could not hear well enough relying only on the (Cardo) speakers in the helmet, that had to have the volume cranked up too high. Currently, I do not even install the helmet speakers anymore.

  13. #28
    Unregistered User dduelin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    N. FL
    Posts
    290
    I've used Howard Leight Max Lite or Laser Lite uncorded for the last 15 years. Once I mistakenly bought a box of corded ones and just cut the cords off where it exits the plug.
    Dave

    R1200RT
    NC700X, GL1800

  14. #29
    Registered User zip50's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Lincoln, MA
    Posts
    31

    Eargasm ear plugs

    Big fan of Eargasm ear plugs. Been riding with them for 5 years - first with Sena and now with Cardo. Allows music and coms through while blocking the damaging noise. No cords to worry about. They come in different sizes. All-day comfortable for me.

  15. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Round Lake Beach, IL
    Posts
    5
    I have to give another vote to the Eargasm ear plugs. Both my wife and I use them and have no problem listening to music through the Cardio units or communicating with each other.

Similar Threads

  1. ear plugs info/website request
    By ultracyclist in forum Gear
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-26-2006, 05:52 PM
  2. Deal on Buying Ear Plugs
    By RTRandy in forum Gear
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-18-2006, 02:24 AM
  3. Ear Plugs (do you or don't you?)
    By 99007 in forum Gear
    Replies: 102
    Last Post: 10-19-2005, 10:56 PM
  4. Custom ear plugs question
    By trmptrmrk in forum Gear
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 10-15-2004, 11:29 PM
  5. ear plugs
    By GERALD in forum Gear
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 03-28-2004, 07:25 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •