Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ear plugs when riding?

Ear plugs when riding?

I like my Cardo music piped to the speakers in the helmet, rarely ride without the cardo playing.

I've seen all manner of suggestions for ear plugs that let the music in and the wind noise is reduced or negated completely.

Thinking it is time for some hearing protection, and I've looked at dozens of different plugs/electronic plugs etc, but reviews are all over the place for most of them which has had me holding off getting something.

Recommendations from actual experiences with plugs that let the good music in and keep the rest of the world, for the most part, out of the helmet?

TIA
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

The classic Howard Leight MAX foam plugs. Buy a case for $30-ish,and it lasts all year or more. Might have to turn up the volume, but it'll definitely protect. And yes, you can still hear horns, sirens, load pipes, etc.

RK Ryder
    I use Honeywell Howard LIGHT MAX Earplugs & Honeywell Howard LIGHT Laser Light Earplugs. I buy them in boxes of 200 pairs.

I often alternate between the two models. Wind noise is greatly reduced and I am able to listen music set to low volume. I

Many prefer custom made plugs but having rather soft cartilage in the ear department, four sets of custom earplugs (two sets with speakers) had dismal success at reducing much wind noise for me. For me the HL plugs do a much better job of reducing wind noise at a more economical price.

I have also tried malleable plastic earplugs that supposedly reduce wind noise while allowing one to hear your engine, traffic and music. Unfortunately they also did not work for me. Your results may be different.
    Paul F. Ruffell
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Knights of the Roundel #333

I use molded silicone earplugs with the audio tubes. They are the same as many musicians use and allow you to hear the music from your headset while keeping the wind noise at safe levels. I do usually need to keep the volume near the max to hear adequately at highway speeds, at lower speeds like around town, I can drop it down some. I've been using molded earplugs for over 20 years and the audio tube versions for 7-8 years.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2019 F850GSA

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    I’m about 35 years too late for real earplugs. I need a little something like low, corded music.
    I will still be interested in the suggestions.

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...-least-ringing

OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar

I installed a Motochello Audio Bridge on my 2015 R1200RT and listen to music through a pair of hard wired Big Ears in-ear monitors. The improvement in music quality over the BT system is stunning, with an ability to hear all of the nuances in my music. With the in-ear monitors, I only need to run the audio at 1 or 2 bars.
    Larry Gregerson; Bend, OR
    MOA #93031

Quote Originally Posted by powwow View Post
    I installed a Motochello Audio Bridge on my 2015 R1200RT and listen to music through a pair of hard wired Big Ears in-ear monitors. The improvement in music quality over the BT system is stunning, with an ability to hear all of the nuances in my music. With the in-ear monitors, I only need to run the audio at 1 or 2 bars.
    I know someone that used to use corded earphones. One day he snagged his left hand in the cord, went over a curb, and broke his back on the landing. Took over a year for him to get back on a bike. YMMV

I've been very pleased with my set of EarPeace motorcycle ear plugs.

They have interchangeable ceramic filters to adjust how much sound gets in while keeping the wind and road noise suppressed.

https://www.earpeace.com/products/motorcycle-ear-plugs

My second choice was going to be a set of NoNoise, as suggested by others.

Quote Originally Posted by r0ckrat View Post
    I know someone that used to use corded earphones. One day he snagged his left hand in the cord, went over a curb, and broke his back on the landing. Took over a year for him to get back on a bike. YMMV

I know someone that just fell over one day with no explanation why! Chit happens, tuck in your cords!

I have used Big Ear and now have Fit Ear ear buds with Cardo Pack Talks. My wife rides with me too and I found a dual output Bluetooth transmitter that I wired to the RT's speakers and connects to the Cardo's. I always tuck the excess cord inside my jacket.
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

+1 on the EarPeace plugs. I've been using them for about 2 years. I don't listen to music with my Sena bluetooth helmet speakers, but phone calls and audio books come through just fine.

I used the orange foam Army issue ear plugs and after 25 years of converting tax dollars to loud noises and smoke my hearing is quite good for a 70 year old man. I continue to use the orange plugs and regularly use a PackTalk Bold to talk bike-to-bike and occasionally to listen to SiriusXM. I have a set of custom made plugs but they work too well; they make it difficult to hear on the PackTalk.
    Kevin Huddy
    Silver City, Montana
    MOA# 24,790 Ambassador

I’m another from the custom wired in ear monitors. Molded to my ears so comfy for literally all day riding. Can hear everything around me and clear music when I want to. On days when I feel like no music then it is custom molded ear plugs.
    The pen is mightier than the sword….unless some one is trying to stab you with the sword….then it’s the sword…..definitely the sword

I use the Hearos blue foam plugs and can hear my Sena 20 just fine. Much nicer riding with earplugs, I am much less tired when I get off the bike
    Rusty
    Austin, TX
    Two Wheeled Texans
    2013 K1600GT

Another vote for earpeace. They come in a nice small metal carrier. I have a set for the bike and I carry a set in my pocket. Although my edc gets little use, it has saved me a few times when I found myself in a louder than expected situation. They’re comfortable for me and come with inserts which can be used to acquire the level of protection desired.

Doug
    Sent from a Galaxy, far, far away