• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Heated handgrip replacement

fuego

Hi,

A quick one here. Been through the posts and just want to confirm that the best way to replace the rubber on the heated hand grip is to spray hair fixer on the handle and slip the rubber on it .

I’m a little worried that the rubber will slip over time as it is not glued into place.

ignace

1987 K75S
1989 K75C

Hi,

A quick one here. Been through the posts and just want to confirm that the best way to replace the rubber on the heated hand grip is to spray hair fixer on the handle and slip the rubber on it .

I’m a little worried that the rubber will slip over time as it is not glued into place.

ignace

1987 K75S
1989 K75C

Hair spray, which is essentially laquer sets up like glue.

I am not aware of factory grips that replace just the rubber on heated grips.

The left heated grip is mounted over a plastic tube that slides over the handle bars and is held in place by two screws. The i.d. of this grip is obviously larger than the standard left grip that just slides over the bars, because it has to account for the tube and the element.

The standard right grip is mounted to the throttle tube, so it is larger than the standard left grip that mounts directly to the handle bar. The heated right grip must also clear the element, so it is larger than the standard right grip.

Any info from others on what factory grips actually works would be appreciated.

:dance:dance:dance

I am not aware of factory grips that replace just the rubber on heated grips.

The left heated grip is mounted over a plastic tube that slides over the handle bars and is held in place by two screws. The i.d. of this grip is obviously larger than the standard left grip that just slides over the bars, because it has to account for the tube and the element.

The standard right grip is mounted to the throttle tube, so it is larger than the standard left grip that mounts directly to the handle bar. The heated right grip must also clear the element, so it is larger than the standard right grip.

Any info from others on what factory grips actually works would be appreciated.

:dance:dance:dance

No data on any OEM slip-ons, but I’ve replaced the worn-out rubbers on the heated grips of my brick K1200GT with ProGrip grips from Revzilla. It takes two sets as only the throttle-side grips are used. The only fussy part of the job is carefully slicing the OEM grip rubbers at the upper end and peeling them off, cutting just deep enough to allow the grip to break open and peel off. New grip rubbers slip on using hairspray or grip cement.

Best,
DeVern

You might heat the new grips with a heat gun before applying hairspray. I use the heat gun while mounting difficult tires and it works well to make the rubber stretch.

Most of the grips I have put on were very tight and required no glue. I used the “air injection” method.
OM

I've got myself two right handle grips.

From what I read, I'll be ok with the left handle but the right handle will have a too small ID...

I'll steal my girlfriend hair spray today and give it a try.

I'll keep you posted.

Ignace

Propane is usually the propellant in hairspray. Open flames make it go woof.
OM

Hi all,

Just finished the restorations of the K75C and the K75S. If you use standard replacement grip over heated handlebar grip you'll need two right hand side grips and with hairspray they just slip on very easily. OEM look for a fraction if the price

Attachments

• PXL_20220520_055354070.jpg
    PXL_20220520_055354070.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Back