• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Latest map planning tool for Garmin Nav units- Mac based

I have given up trying to understand where Garmin is going with route creation applications, but it appears that they are slowly transitioning to a browser-based application called Explore, and away from Basecamp.

There is also an Explore App for your phone.

Below is a flowchart I drew after buying my ZumoXT and not being able to figure out what was going on. It’s still incomplete, I gave up and now use the Zumo pretty much as a moving map, or to autoroute to some place I need to get to.

There are just too many apps, too much confusion around what’s in the cloud or on the device and where… I just use Basecamp on my Mac and do things the old-fashioned way.

It’s a major bummer that the Zumo will not display saved waypoints on the screen unless you choose one to navigate to.
i-JQKvdPw-X2.png

Thanks been on basecamp for an hour and as simple as it seems I can't just create a short route. Will need to find another tutorial I guess. It did show my past ride track when plugged into the GPS. Easier I think to use my finger on the GPS map or choose a location there.

The easiest process I've found to upload routes to my Garmin products is to use any one of the hundreds of web based routing programs available to create your route. I use Furkot. Create your route and then export the route as a .gpx file to a handy folder. Connect your GPS to your device, be it Windoz or IOS or whatever. Open the GPS like any other file, find the GPX folder on the GPS and drag/drop the .gpx file into that folder. You can also email the .gpx file to your buddies. Don't forget to turn recalculating off or the GPS will scramble your route.
It took longer to write this then to actually load a route.
I carry a small 12" laptop/tablet when I'm on multi-day trips and if not already loaded, create the next days route each evening. This allows us to discuss the next day's route and reach a consensus. I then upload the route to my riding partners Garmins.
Garmin tries to packs too much features into their programs and the interface suffers.

I have given up trying to understand where Garmin is going with route creation applications, but it appears that they are slowly transitioning to a browser-based application called Explore, and away from Basecamp.

There is also an Explore App for your phone.

Below is a flowchart I drew after buying my ZumoXT and not being able to figure out what was going on. It’s still incomplete, I gave up and now use the Zumo pretty much as a moving map, or to autoroute to some place I need to get to.

There are just too many apps, too much confusion around what’s in the cloud or on the device and where… I just use Basecamp on my Mac and do things the old-fashioned way.

It’s a major bummer that the Zumo will not display saved waypoints on the screen unless you choose one to navigate to.
i-JQKvdPw-X2.png

Interesting but after logging on the explore Garmin site it seems it doesn't work with a Nav VI. Out of a short list of gps devices, only the zumo XT would work.

Thanks been on basecamp for an hour and as simple as it seems I can't just create a short route. Will need to find another tutorial I guess. It did show my past ride track when plugged into the GPS. Easier I think to use my finger on the GPS map or choose a location there.

Take a look at this guide:https://issuu.com/jfheath/docs/zumo_590_595_basecamp_v4

Route handling on the Navigator VI is basically the same as a Zumo 595, so I think you will get a much better understanding of how Basecamp and your GPS work together. It explains a lot of details that Garmin has never bothered to explain or document. Page 28 also has a link to some good videos. I messed around for a year or more (with many route failures) until this guide showed me how to easily build reliable routes.

I have been able to select POI's from GPS factory and get those transferred to the GPS.

Just thought of something that could possibly help. On a Mac (and depending on the GPS unit), Android File Transfer automatically starts when you connect it with a USB cable. You have to quit this program, then launch Basecamp, and hopefully your device will appear at the top of the left column.

Last edited:
Interesting but after logging on the explore Garmin site it seems it doesn't work with a Nav VI. Out of a short list of gps devices, only the zumo XT would work.

That would be typical Garmin! :ha

It's probably something related to the deal between BMW and Garmin...

Basecamp is great for planning complex routes and transferring to your Garmin or Navigator V/VI gps. Once you get the hang of it, it is simple to use.

Try the tutorials at this link.

https://www.newenglandriders.org/learn-basecamp/

I'll second Ken's recommendation. I sat down for a while and went through the whole thing, once you understand the terminology, it becomes (somewhat) easier. There are some Windows/Mac differences in the guide, but not enough to change the outcome.

I find that when creating a route in Basecamp the more points the better, this forces Basecamp to follow the points. Also I put a point before and after each turn, this allows me to reverse a route on the nav unit on the bike and have it go my intended way.

NewEnglandRiders.org has totourials for Windows and Mac versions of Garmin BaseCamp in PDF for download. There are two manuals for each operating software. It will teach you how to setup and use BaseCamp, how to create simple or complicated routes, how to update and setup your GPS unit and how to transfer the routes from BaseCamp to your GPS unit. A lot of this stuff also applies to the new Garmin XT units.
https://www.newenglandriders.org/download/basecamp-tutorial-for-mac-part-1/

Back