• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Seis Viejos Pedos en Motos Grande " or " Six Old Farts on Big Bikes"

bigjohnsd

'21 R1250 GS Adv
I'm starting this "Ride Report" now to get a jump on the process.

AbercrombieFJR will be here to pick me up later this afternoon.
He even bought a new trailer to haul my new bike in! - more later!

Our first stop will be to pick up our riding partner Kip W. in Alamosa CO , then a long drive to SkooterG's in Phoenix where we will park the trailer, unload the bikes, and make any final preparations. We head for the border on Sunday morning. We (Skooter, Abercrombie, Kip, and I) will rendezvous with Frankie D and Mark B. at Douglas AZ early Sunday afternoon.

We plan on getting our cross-border paperwork completed Sunday afternoon and then crossing into Sonora early Monday morning with no delays having had our FMMs (Tourism Permits)validated on Sunday. TVIPs (Temporary Vehicle Import Permits) were completed in advance online as was the purchase of the requisite Mexican Insurance.

Our track(s) take us

2022%20Mexico%20Trip%20Planned%20Tracks-XL.png

South to the Copper Canyon followed by a return to the Estados Unidos via Douglas AZ either 17 or 18 April. There are "Easy Routes, Moderate Routes, and a few "Young Guys on smaller bikes Routes" we won't likely be riding those.
We have a mix of machinery but by and large, it has a distinctly German flavor:
FrankieD - GSA 1200
Kip W - GSA 1200
SkooterG - GSA 1200
MarkB - GSA 1250HP
Me(BigJohnSD) - GSA 1250
AbercrombieFJR - Yamaha S10
We have appropriately christened ourselves - " Seis Viejos Pedos en Motos Grande " which loosely translates to " Six Old Farts on Big Bikes "

Final%20Sticker-Th.png

Here is a Spotwalla link to my position - https://new.spotwalla.com/trip/d955-c614b7-2187/view?homeActive=1&showAll=1 which becomes active today and remains active through April 18th.

Looking forward to a great ride with great friends - hope to have plenty of pictures and also hope that the internet along the way isn't too sketchy and will allow me to post them.

The next update will be from Kip's in Alamosa or from SkooterG's in Phoenix on April 9th.

Well, as Kevin put it when he called from about 300 miles East of me, ten miles West of Mitchell SD along I-90 about 1100.
"This trip isn't starting out so good!"

Kevin%20Tip%20Over-X2.jpg

We are experiencing some high winds here on the high prairie today!

But the Gods of Seis Viejos Pedos en Motos Grande must be smiling upon us as the trailer is now back on its wheels, the S-10 inside remained in place throughout the event. Kevin reports a bunged-up fender and some cosmetic damage to one corner of the trailer - it could have been much worse.

Kevin headed back to Mitchell, went to Menards, and purchased 1000# of sand bags to weight the trailer down some more so he could continue west.
At last report, he should arrive here around 2230 my time.

The Saga continues.....

Last edited:
I’ll give that a WoW!
Hope he checked the trailers hitch coupler. Hope your luck improves.
OM

On our way from Kip's at Alamosa to SkooterG's in Phoenix. I had a complete update with lots of pictures all ready to post and then mistakenly deleted it off my phone with an errant thumb press.

Trailer -
20220408_181537-XL.jpg

20220408_181543-XL.jpg

20220408_181548-XL.jpg

It was a beautiful day heading South to Alamosa from Spearfish.
Traffic wasn't too bad through Denver

20220408_131534-XL.jpg

20220408_154901-XL.jpg

20220408_151243-XL.jpg

20220408_151229-XL.jpg

We got Kip loaded up
20220408_181528-XL.jpg

20220408_181608-XL.jpg

Before taking Kip and Patty to dinner

20220408_195845-XL.jpg

Saturday - Alamosa to SkooterGs in Phoenix. We left Alamosa at 0530 and it was a beautiful day until we hit Arizona when the wind began to blow again.
we had strong headwinds from to Tuba City, then strong cross winds to Phoenix, we got to Skooters about 3:30pm. Skooter was ready for us and we were all unloaded and drinking cerveza in short order. Kip rode to Marks in Tucson, Kevin, Skooter & his friend and I went to dinner. We returned and performed some last minute maintenance and repacking.

Sunday - Kevin, Skooter, and I hit the road promptly at 0830.
We rode East to Globe then South East, lunched in Safford AZ before continuing on to Douglas AZ. A kind inmate from the ADVRider Forum, NoShoes, assisted us in completing our across the border administrative functions. Thanks Neil! We successfully rendezvoued with FrankieD, Kip, and Mark at the Motel (Motel Six Douglas) which has very ****ty WiFi hence the lack of pictures.
Dinner at a local Mexican place and back to the room. KSU 0730 tomorrow.

Let the Adventures begin!

I have some photos which I will add once Wifi improves.

Saturday - Alamosa to SkooterGs in Phoenix. We left Alamosa at 0530 and it was a beautiful day until we hit Arizona when the wind began to blow again.
we had strong headwinds from to Tuba City, then strong cross winds to Phoenix, we got to Skooters about 3:30pm. Skooter was ready for us and we were all unloaded and drinking cerveza in short order. Kip rode to Marks in Tucson, Kevin, Skooter & his friend and I went to dinner. We returned and performed some last minute maintenance and repacking.

Sunday - Kevin, Skooter, and I hit the road promptly at 0830.
We rode East to Globe then South East, lunched in Safford AZ before continuing on to Douglas AZ. A kind inmate from the ADVRider Forum, NoShoes, assisted us in completing our across the border administrative functions. Thanks Neil! We successfully rendezvoued with FrankieD, Kip, and Mark at the Motel (Motel Six Douglas) which has very ****ty WiFi hence the lack of pictures.
Dinner at a local Mexican place and back to the room. KSU 0730 tomorrow.

Let the Adventures begin!

I have some photos which I will add once Wifi improves.

Very short hi-jack I came close to a divorce because I reserved a room at the motel 6 in Fargo on the way home from great falls.

Back