• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2002 f650gs ABS switch problem

Hi - I have a 2002 f650gs. The abs won't switch off. I used my GS911 and it is not showing any faults. Went through test and it shows no issues. By the way does anybody know what happen to the F650 forum? I did put new tires and bar risers. The heated grips do work. Thanks in advance.

This will be the last year I will subscribe to the MOA. It’s the over abundance of kind helpful people I see here and there overwhelming attitude to help someone makes me want to contribute. With 47 views and not one comment I’m out. I don’t think I’m a good fit for the MOA any longer.

Sorry for your experience, the F/G part of the forum doesn't seem to get a lot of traffic these days. (Plus the view count could be inflated by nonmembers). Which F650 forum are you talking about? I know the Chang Gang's forum hasn't been around for a while, but they still have their technical faq section up.

I'd start by cleaning the switch and verifying that it works. It should be pretty simple to short across the switch and see if that's your culprit while you're in there. Do you think that the extra pull from the bar risers may have broken or dislodged a wire down the line?

These bikes are starting to get old, so electrical gremlins art starting to pop up.

This will be the last year I will subscribe to the MOA. It’s the over abundance of kind helpful people I see here and there overwhelming attitude to help someone makes me want to contribute. With 47 views and not one comment I’m out. I don’t think I’m a good fit for the MOA any longer.

To be fair,
It’s only been about 16 hours. Out of those views, only 20 have been members and the rest are guests which includes “search engine” bots.
I rather doubt anyone with posting privileges (members) read your inquiry and failed to post a helpful reply.

From my own experience with top of the handle bar switches, I messed up one of mine by not being careful to not hang the helmet strap over it. I limbered the switch up and was good to go. I don’t know if your bike has switches like the F800GS.
Good luck.
OM
BTW- I will add a bit to your title for clarity.

Last edited:
I have a friend with an F650 Dakar on which we have tried to resolve an issue where the bike occasionally won’t start and occasionally shuts down, in both cases acting like the engine cutoff switch has been triggered. At this point we suspect the problem is in the wiring harness down by the steering neck, an area that has apparently been problematic on F650s from that era.

The only diagnostic option we have for that bike is to peel open the harness and start looking for the intermittent short. On the OP’s bike I’d suggest he start by tracing the wire bundle from the switch down to it’s connector at the harness. Disconnect the connector and use a meter to test operation of the ABS switch, including moving the wire bundle while testing, to see if the switch is functioning and talking to the main harness. A wiring diagram is sure to be needed in order to identify the correct wires from the ABS switch.

Good luck,
DeVern

Hi - I have a 2002 f650gs. The abs won't switch off. I used my GS911 and it is not showing any faults. Went through test and it shows no issues. By the way does anybody know what happen to the F650 forum? I did put new tires and bar risers. The heated grips do work. Thanks in advance.

Did you hold the button down for three seconds with the engine running and the bike at a standstill until the warning light starts flashing?

• With the motorcycle at a
standstill and the engine running, press ABS button 2 and
hold it down for 3 seconds
– Warning light 1 starts flashing
• Release ABS button 2
– The ABS function is deactivated
– Warning light 1 continues
flashing, but at a slower rate,
to remind you that ABS has
been deactivated

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

I pull the abs switch out and the brown wire is separated form the switch. I got another switch coming thanks everyone. I believe the risers and age caused this issue(meaning I should of paid closer attention) when put it back together.

Back