Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 128

Thread: 2023 Richmond VA: The 50th National MOA Rally

  1. #91
    Rally Rat 1074's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Killeen, TX
    Posts
    1,247
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    The natural would be the Spartanburg County Fairgrounds, AKA Piedmont Fairgrounds. June average high 87. June average low 67. Average number of days with rain in June, 7.

    I think I heard a rumor that some of the folks think we should go back and give Bloomsburg (AKA Doomsburg), PA a second chance.
    What's the weather like in Fargo?
    Boxerbruce

  2. #92
    Hangered... but aimed out flyhi2cfar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The Cincinnati Ohio riverfront (Ky side) & the Cape/Space Coast of Flordia.... when not out -- "travel'n"
    Posts
    1,236
    Quote Originally Posted by flyhi2cfar View Post
    Everyone appreciates information from a "local".
    Your contributions, and others from nearby Doswell/Richmond (Club members or not)... will be valued.
    Anybody passing by this weekend on a day ride please report.
    Have they mowed the grass this month?
    "travel'n" John Lang… Pilot: 2015 R1200GS / MOA#102452 (2002)
    2021 Safety Committee Chair @ Great Falls MT
    “Keep you a steady eye ahead, with a firm grip on the throttle,
    be ready with the brakes...for every mile of road, there are two miles of the ditch"

  3. #93
    slave to gravity skibum69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    New Melbourne, NL
    Posts
    4,732
    No mowing, we're in a drought. No rain for 6 weeks plus.
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon 7frrnSRiTt9Fk

  4. #94
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Posts
    420

    Toll Roads around Rally Area

    Are there tollways in/around the area near the rally? Should I mount my EZ-Pass reader on my RT for this trip?
    J Goertz
    BMW MOAL
    2015 BMW R1200RT
    2012 Triumph Bonneville SE

  5. #95
    Registered User gsinnc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    1,431
    Quote Originally Posted by jgoertz View Post
    Are there tollways in/around the area near the rally? Should I mount my EZ-Pass reader on my RT for this trip?
    While I can't speak for the Richmond area specifically I would suggest having your EZ Pass handy as there are more and more toll lanes popping up in the southeast and mid-atlantic regions. They are in NC for sure and I know in the DC area as well.
    Ed Apelian
    Motorcycling is my passion because golf is far too dangerous!
    2018 R1200GS - Light White !
    2016 R1200RT- Platinum Bronze

  6. #96
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Raleigh NC
    Posts
    511
    Quote Originally Posted by jgoertz View Post
    Are there tollways in/around the area near the rally? Should I mount my EZ-Pass reader on my RT for this trip?
    Unless your route from AL takes you through WV, I doubt you’ll hit any toll roads. In NC and VA, there are non-toll options for getting around. However, if you have a transponder, it won’t hurt to bring it.

    Doug
    Sent from a Galaxy, far, far away

  7. #97
    Registered User gsinnc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    1,431
    Quote Originally Posted by 83014 View Post
    Unless your route from AL takes you through WV, I doubt you’ll hit any toll roads. In NC and VA, there are non-toll options for getting around. However, if you have a transponder, it won’t hurt to bring it.

    Doug
    Good points and while there are non-toll alternatives in many cases I have found the "toll lanes" to be a safer option. Especially in NC. BUT ... also keep in mind that on the I-77 Express (toll) lanes motorcycles ride FREE! It is the only toll road in NC where Motorcycles ride free and it is truly a much safer options as the non-toll lanes experience frequent stop and go situations i.e. 80 MPH to dead stop. That usually never happens in the toll lanes. The Express lanes run for about 20 miles from around exit 16 to exit 36.

    That being said not sure you will be running up I-77 on your trip but just good information
    Ed Apelian
    Motorcycling is my passion because golf is far too dangerous!
    2018 R1200GS - Light White !
    2016 R1200RT- Platinum Bronze

  8. #98
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Posts
    420
    Looks like I'll need to check w/SWMBO to see if she'll be heading up to visit her sister in NJ while I head to the Rally. We only have one transponder that we move to whatever vehicle is heading to EZ-PASS world.
    J Goertz
    BMW MOAL
    2015 BMW R1200RT
    2012 Triumph Bonneville SE

  9. #99
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Raleigh NC
    Posts
    511
    Quote Originally Posted by jgoertz View Post
    Looks like I'll need to check w/SWMBO to see if she'll be heading up to visit her sister in NJ while I head to the Rally. We only have one transponder that we move to whatever vehicle is heading to EZ-PASS world.
    If she’s going to NJ, she’ll need the ez-pass more than you. Most of the toll roads and bridges in the Northeast are unmonitored and you are billed by transponder or photo, if you don’t have a transponder. The photo option gets really expensive, really fast as you’re charged the full rate plus processing fees. You, on the other hand, can enjoy the nice scenic back roads. Near the rally, the only toll road that I’m aware of is the express lanes on I95 between Fredericksburg and DC.

    Doug
    Sent from a Galaxy, far, far away

  10. #100
    Registered User gsinnc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    1,431
    Quote Originally Posted by 83014 View Post
    If she’s going to NJ, she’ll need the ez-pass more than you. Most of the toll roads and bridges in the Northeast are unmonitored and you are billed by transponder or photo, if you don’t have a transponder. The photo option gets really expensive, really fast as you’re charged the full rate plus processing fees. You, on the other hand, can enjoy the nice scenic back roads. Near the rally, the only toll road that I’m aware of is the express lanes on I95 between Fredericksburg and DC.

    Doug
    ABSOLUTELY! I was born and raised in NJ and (unfortunately) visit a few times a year and you can't easily navigate the Garden State without EZ Pass !! As Doug noted many of the tolls are unmanned and many have odd rates as well. You need a GPS and the tolls are not cheap even WITH EZ Pass! But have a great trip
    Ed Apelian
    Motorcycling is my passion because golf is far too dangerous!
    2018 R1200GS - Light White !
    2016 R1200RT- Platinum Bronze

  11. #101
    #13338 PGlaves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    "Big Bend" TX
    Posts
    22,820
    Quote Originally Posted by gsinnc View Post
    ABSOLUTELY! I was born and raised in NJ and (unfortunately) visit a few times a year and you can't easily navigate the Garden State without EZ Pass !! As Doug noted many of the tolls are unmanned and many have odd rates as well. You need a GPS and the tolls are not cheap even WITH EZ Pass! But have a great trip
    That supports my earlier decision to avoid New Jersey whenever possible. Life is too short for rent-a-road mania.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  12. #102
    Registered User gsinnc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    1,431
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    That supports my earlier decision to avoid New Jersey whenever possible. Life is too short for rent-a-road mania.
    And a wise decision it was Paul! We only go back to visit friends and family and can't wait to exit !! But it was a great place to grow up !
    Ed Apelian
    Motorcycling is my passion because golf is far too dangerous!
    2018 R1200GS - Light White !
    2016 R1200RT- Platinum Bronze

  13. #103
    sMiling Voni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    53 sMiles south of Alpine, TX USA
    Posts
    6,380
    There are some incredible and lovely backroads in New Jersey. You just have to "know someone"


    Voni
    sMiling
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador Emeritus / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million 100 thousand BMW sMiles

  14. #104
    Registered User gsinnc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    1,431
    Quote Originally Posted by Voni View Post
    There are some incredible and lovely backroads in New Jersey. You just have to "know someone"


    Voni
    sMiling
    There certainly are! We attend Americade in Lake George almost every year and when I would take a new buddy up to Americade I would make sure we stayed in western NJ and then would get up, usually on a Sunday, and ride Rt. 517 all the way up through Sussex and into Florida NY and then have breakfast at the Goshen Diner ... a REAL Diner! They would also comment ..."WOW I can't believe that was NJ" !! HA!
    Ed Apelian
    Motorcycling is my passion because golf is far too dangerous!
    2018 R1200GS - Light White !
    2016 R1200RT- Platinum Bronze

  15. #105
    BeemerNoob BrianAMcPhail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2021
    Location
    Atlee, VA
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by jgoertz View Post
    Are there tollways in/around the area near the rally? Should I mount my EZ-Pass reader on my RT for this trip?
    It would not hurt. The toll roads are in Richmond- not in the immediate area of the rally. Fairly easy to avoid most tolls in Richmond- but it will just depend on where you are going and if you care about saving a few minutes. Just check your phone map app for a suggested route avoiding tolls vs. regular.
    I am a descendant of Men who would not be ruled.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 425
    Last Post: 06-25-2022, 10:38 PM
  2. Alaska 2023
    By willboo in forum Off the Beaten Path
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 05-04-2022, 03:54 AM
  3. New GS Models For 2023 !!!
    By motopl in forum Wetheads
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-10-2022, 05:07 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-16-2022, 02:57 PM
  5. A 50th Four Winds Rally... Thank You & well done!
    By flyhi2cfar in forum Regional Northeast
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-06-2019, 06:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •