• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bad fuel pump

samo

I picked up a 2003 F650cs that hadn’t been started in about 2 years. After some piddling with it trying to get it started , I ended up pulling the fuel pump out. The whole assembly is a mess, pump, fuel gauge, hoses, everything.The insulation on the wires inside the tank just crumbled and fell all to pieces. I was wondering if anyone has run into this same problem. Can you buy the whole assembly, and where might be the best/cheapest place to do so? Thanks for any help!

I bet is has been more than two years since it has run!

Gas will turn nasty when it gets old, very corrosive to some materials.

I bought a Yamaha R1 that had been sitting for many years and the fuel pump was just like you described. All the wiring inside the tank was gone, the old gas has dissolved it all. The plastic housing for the fuel pump was rotten too.

Here is one place to pick up a new one, www.maxbmw.com $420!

I had a 2013 G650GS, that had a few fuel pump issues. I ended up replacing just the pump with an e-bay, not the carriage in comes in, for less than $30.00. BMW sells the thing, pump and carrier, as a complete unit, that is why it is so pricey. I think you should first try to determine what years of 650s used the same pump and carrier and look at used stock. Once you have a good carrier hoses and such the pump on mine could be removed and replaced separately. I don't see any pumps and carriers on e-bay for your specific model but again you need to check the BMW parts microfiche and see what other models fit so you can check for those bikes. What I do see is a listing with UK Motor Works. They ship to the colonies and I have had excellent luck with them on used parts. You can exchange e-mails and/or give them a call. Some of the stuff I have ordered from over there gets here pretty fast. Good luck.

https://www.motorworks.co.uk/parts/fuel-tank-and-supply/fuel-pump.html?condition=167

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

The fuel pumps are about $40 on ebay. I’d get one with a new strainer.
Be careful when removing the old pump from the black rubber vibration isolation “biscuits”, as they will be fragile after sitting in gas all these years. Replacements are available but hard to find at $12 each! Just take your time and make sure the hoses are secure on re-assembly. You will save a huge amount by doing this yoursef.

Had exactly the same issue on my CS. Bought it in 2018 with 1800 miles on it. Ethanol gas had ruined everything in the tank. Found a salvage assembly from a newer G650. Runs like a champ after adding the R1200 injector.

Back