Thread: gas fumes - tuperware help

gas fumes - tuperware help

2013 R1200RT

I'm new to the RT model. I have persistent gas fumes from my bike; worse when parked overnight on the side stand and regardless of fuel level. Had the fuel pump recall done when I bought the bike about month ago. I need to check the fuel connections and vent hoses. What body panels need to come off and are there step by step instructions anywhere for their removal? I have a Haynes but it's not really a help in this exercise. Thanks

gas fumes-tuperware help

I Just found the most excellent post re: tuperware. For some reason did not come up on a search? This post is great!!

Glad you found some help. By any chance, do you have a link to the post about tupperware that was helpful? It could help someone else that might stumble into this thread.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

A common problem is the previous owner over filled the fuel tank and gas has moved through the vent tube into the charcoal canister. This will give a constant gas odor. The only way to fix it is replacement. Number 1 in the diagram.

https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/Diagra...png?v=09082020
    Marc Kitts
    2010 R1200RT

Max BMW has/had a very good video on youtube.com showing how to remove a lot of the tupperware on 2010-13 RT's, done in their shop by one of their techs, obviously. It sure helped me in working on my 2011 RT that I bought a couple of years ago.

About a year ago I also smelled gas fumes and had to get into the fuel pump area to check it out. I found a crack in the top flange and repaired it with stainless steel components from beemerboneyard. It has not leaked since that repair, about a year ago, and my bike in in the shop today for a fuel pump replacement under the safety recall.

It seems I saw that video still on youtube within the last few months.

Good luck with it!

Max video:

Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Gas fumes - Tupperware help

Thanks fellow beemeisters. I found the max bmw you tube video and Iím going to take the plunge and remove the Tupperware and just go over everything under there. The fumes persist and seem to be worst in the morning after sitting on the center stand all night. Iím keeping the tank about half full, doesnít seem to help. No smell when riding. If the fumes turn out to be coming from the charcoal canister (orig was a ca bike) what should I do?

Suggest returning to dealer that performed the fuel pump recall.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S

Quote Originally Posted by ride1265 View Post
    Thanks fellow beemeisters. I found the max bmw you tube video and Iím going to take the plunge and remove the Tupperware and just go over everything under there. The fumes persist and seem to be worst in the morning after sitting on the center stand all night. Iím keeping the tank about half full, doesnít seem to help. No smell when riding. If the fumes turn out to be coming from the charcoal canister (orig was a ca bike) what should I do?
    Make sure the gas filler cap bolts are tightened - I had the same issue and that was the cause.

You definitely need to see to that. There was a recall for a leaky gas flange on my í06 RT. Unfortunately, before BMW could give me an appointment to fix the flange it broke and soaked my leg, and that side of the bike with gasoline. When I got home, everything smelled like gasoline. Itís dangerous enough out there without being a rolling Molotov Cocktail.

Be careful out thereÖ

E.