Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: New GS Models For 2023 !!!

  1. #1
    Registered User motopl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2022
    Location
    North NJ
    Posts
    29

    New GS Models For 2023 !!!

    2022 R1250GS Adventure Triple Black with Gold Rims

  2. #2
    #13338 PGlaves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    "Big Bend" TX
    Posts
    22,800
    Maybe they think it is already April1. I don't doubt a new model - but a 1300 and a 1400? I doubt it.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  3. #3
    Debbie's Servant Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    9,750
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Maybe they think it is already April1. I don't doubt a new model - but a 1300 and a 1400? I doubt it.
    From the article
    Despite the different numbers, we suspect both models will have the same displacement in the 1300-1400cc range, similar to how the F 750 GS and F 850 GS share the same 853cc Twin.
    Lee
    2022 R1250RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2016 R1200RS, 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

  4. #4
    Debbie's Servant Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    9,750
    Not much new information since the article from last summer.

    https://www.motorcycle.com/manufactu...s-spotted.html
    Lee
    2022 R1250RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2016 R1200RS, 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

  5. #5
    Registered User GTRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Nibley, UT USA
    Posts
    2,368
    Unless they’ve also found a way to trim off 20lbs or more of weight, this is a step in the wrong direction in my book. The GS doesn’t need more power or a bigger engine; it needs more torque, less weight, a clutch with a wider engagement band like the dry clutches had, and a tad more flywheel effect. Those would be very useful attributes for those of us who like to actually take a GS into the back country. I suspect we are instead going to see more hp, more weight, greater complexity, less availability of service info for owners, and a higher price.

    And the first-year allotment to dealers will be pre-sold out, and down payment money banked, within two weeks of product announcement.

    Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S-PD — 2010 K1300GT — 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Not much new information since the article from last summer.

    https://www.motorcycle.com/manufactu...s-spotted.html
    Yeah, that is what I thought, too.... it looks like they discovered some listings on a "service request" page on a BMW site and thought to refresh the news.

  7. #7
    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    18,465
    Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    Unless they’ve also found a way to trim off 20lbs or more of weight, this is a step in the wrong direction in my book. The GS doesn’t need more power or a bigger engine; it needs more torque, less weight, a clutch with a wider engagement band like the dry clutches had, and a tad more flywheel effect. Those would be very useful attributes for those of us who like to actually take a GS into the back country. I suspect we are instead going to see more hp, more weight, greater complexity, less availability of service info for owners, and a higher price.

    And the first-year allotment to dealers will be pre-sold out, and down payment money banked, within two weeks of product announcement.

    Best,
    DeVern
    I really like the big GS bikes. It’s mostly the style and the feeling that it will survive the crappy roads better than a “street” specific bike.
    I don’t know who originally said it but I completely agree that “There is no such thing as a quarter-ton dirt bike”.
    Certainly not at my age.

    OM

    I don’t go to dealerships so I don’t come home with one. .
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Fargo, ND
    Posts
    1,395
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    I really like the big GS bikes. It’s mostly the style and the feeling that it will survive the crappy roads better than a “street” specific bike.
    I don’t know who originally said it but I completely agree that “There is no such thing as a quarter-ton dirt bike”.
    Certainly not at my age.

    OM

    I don’t go to dealerships so I don’t come home with one. .
    The local Harley dealer keep insisting i take the new HD adventure bike for a ride. I tell him I wouldn't mind riding it, but I have zero interest in owning one. I keep repeating myself telling him if I want on off road bike it needs to weigh about half of what these large bikes weigh. Maybe a Yamaha WR250R. 295 pounds wet.
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

  9. #9
    Registered User wkoppa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Grayling, MI
    Posts
    510
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    The local Harley dealer keep insisting i take the new HD adventure bike for a ride. I tell him I wouldn't mind riding it, but I have zero interest in owning one. I keep repeating myself telling him if I want on off road bike it needs to weigh about half of what these large bikes weigh. Maybe a Yamaha WR250R. 295 pounds wet.
    Much of what is really needed is there with the 310 GS, for solo use, but it just can't quite work in deep sand and needs to be a little lighter. I tried a lot of tire combinations and such but ended up using the 310 GS for everything from light trails and backroads to Florida and back, but not technical single track and sand. Picked up a new KLX 300 last spring and that can do anything in the woods and sand that the really expensive off road bikes do. It would be interesting to see the 310GS motor in a KLX chassis. Both bikes need a larger fuel tank.

    Wayne Koppa
    Grayling, MI
    #71,449

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    The local Harley dealer keep insisting i take the new HD adventure bike for a ride. I tell him I wouldn't mind riding it, but I have zero interest in owning one. I keep repeating myself telling him if I want on off road bike it needs to weigh about half of what these large bikes weigh. Maybe a Yamaha WR250R. 295 pounds wet.
    WR250s are for hard riding/high revving performance riders. If you like to haul butt through the woods, this bike is a great choice.

    However, the faster you go, the harder you hit the ground… or the trees. damhikt

    I’m eying a Honda CRF 300 Rally… a tamer/friendlier engine and it’s still right near 300lbs.

    I’d kill for a sub-300lb electric bike. The Zero DSR is the right form factor (for me, anyway) but it’s well north of 400lbs.

    I truly wish BMW would market a bike like the Honda CB500X… a great all-around bike that’s not too tall and weighs closer to 400lbs vs. the BMW equivalent 500.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    WR250s are for hard riding/high revving performance riders. If you like to haul butt through the woods, this bike is a great choice.
    The Zero DSR is the right form factor (for me, anyway) but it’s well north of 400lbs.
    I truly wish BMW would market a bike like the Honda CB500X… a great all-around bike that’s not too tall and weighs closer to 400lbs vs. the BMW equivalent 500.
    The Zero DSR checks a lot of boxes for me as well, even at $18k plus.
    Smooth, quiet and reliable, but the 97 highway mile range even with optional power tank is just not enough ... yet.

    Chinese QJ is building a low cost 500cc twin for the Benelli brand and there is speculation it may also be branded as a Harley Davidson. Maybe BMW will do something similar with Loncin or TVS. The margins on outsourced bikes are likely very attractive and are probably the future for many Euro brands.
    -Live as fully as you can as long as you can-

  12. #12
    Registered User wkoppa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Grayling, MI
    Posts
    510

    Niobium

    I want some.

    https://www.cycleworld.com/story/blo...cle-batteries/


    Wayne Koppa
    Grayling, MI
    #71,449

  13. #13

    Give Me A DCT Like the Honda Afican Twin

    No more quick shifter, I want a full-blown DTC.

Similar Threads

  1. Alaska 2023
    By willboo in forum Off the Beaten Path
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 05-04-2022, 03:54 AM
  2. New Models at the San Jose Motorcycle Show
    By burnszilla in forum Campfire
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-24-2005, 09:55 PM
  3. New BMW Models
    By RTdavey in forum Oilheads
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-05-2005, 03:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •