• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1985 K100RS head to block coolant leak?

mcmlcccvrs

Well, I ain't a happy camper, kids. It certainly appears as though I have a coolant leak between the cylinder head and engine block. I had seen the green/blue dried remnants of coolant before and often wondered why I could detect a faint odor of coolant when the bike was hot yet there was no drip. Now I know why. I had the left and right lower fairing covers off today while doing something else and happened to be shining a flashlight in there while the engine was running. That's when I saw 2 or 3 tiny wet spots at the head to block joint. I suspect that whatever was oozing out was sitting along the joint and evaporating. I don't know if the gasket is leaking on the underside (I'd have to pull the belly pan) but it doesn't really matter I suppose.

Do these gaskets fail? All of my previous bikes were air cooled. This will be my 3rd season with the bike and I know I've never overheated it as I have a temp gauge. Can't speak for what may have gone on in the past.

The bad news? Clearly the work I need to do and wondering if anything may be warped. The good news? I'm up for it. Not intimidated by what would be required as many years ago I had two Suzuzki GS750 engines completely apart for rings and valve jobs. The valve jobs and cylinder honing was done at a shop but I did all the rest.

Any advice or anything else I need to consider doing while in there? AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! And whatever expletives you deem appropriate!

aqAdCz.jpg

9dqoOj.jpg

OTB19i.jpg

B97Ply.jpg

Between the engine block and that fitting is an o-ring, P/N 11111460312 (27.3 X 2.4 mm). That is the outlet pipe from the engine to the radiator. A leak in that area is not common but not unheard of. With the age of these bikes, you may consider replacing the hoses while you are in there.

Frank

Between the engine block and that fitting is an o-ring, P/N 11111460312 (27.3 X 2.4 mm). That is the outlet pipe from the engine to the radiator. A leak in that area is not common but not unheard of. With the age of these bikes, you may consider replacing the hoses while you are in there.

Frank

Hi Frank,

Thanks for the reply. I cannot see evidence that the leak is starting from the outlet pipe (look at my first photo and where the black arrow is pointing) but I am going to have a better look today.

Tom

1985 K100RS head to block coolant leak

While you're in there take a look at the crush washer on the temp sensor. And a quick look at the hose and pipe gasket before you go further. Pulling the radiator is a must to inspect this area. Been there, done that just recently. Patience young fellow..........................

Back