• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Introduction + Memorable Road Suggestions

archambault

Hello everyone,

I'm new to MOA and riding down from Canada to this year's Rally in Springfield.

I'm looking to plan our return trip starting in Springfield going though to Watertown NY and back to Ottawa, Ontario.
I'm hoping to get advice on some memorable roads, must see/stop spots along the way as I travel back home.
Places to avoid are also good ;)

We are looking to do either 4/5 days to get back home.

Since I've never been to these areas I figured I would ask for advice from the knowledgeable locals.

Thanks in advance,
Pierre

Going to check those out this weekend.
This is awesome, thanks.

Bonjour Pierre, from the Tenn River valley!

Since you mentioned New York, we recommend this museum w/Two Thumbs Up! An eclectic Vintage mechanical museum for sure!
https://glennhcurtissmuseum.org/about/

Should you be near here, the Allegheny Portage RR Museum was an interesting National Park in PA:
https://www.nps.gov/alpo/index.htm

Hope your’s is a terrific visit to & through the US of A. ;)
Happy Trails; we’ll C U there -- Ciao!

HSV-Karen & HSV-Phil
USN-Ret'd —-&-— USAF-Ret’d

'09 650GS-twin — '14 K-GT
'82 R100CS ——— '75 R90S
'16 R1200RS —-— ’05 Vespa 200L
:beer

On your return trip stay clear of Chicago :)
I would head east leaving Springfield. You'll find nice back roads in southern Indiana, Kentucky, West Virginia, then north up through Pennsylvania and NY.

Metro St.Louis is can be exciting in a not-so-good way as well.

We try to avoid cities but I don't mind St Louis.
We hop on the interstate for awhile to get past St Louis.
I like being able to see the Arch and getting right up next to the stadium on I-64..
One time we stopped at the base of the arch to check it out.
Sometime I want to stop on the east side of the river at the observation area.

IMG_0088.jpg

IMG_0089.jpg

Last edited:
When leaving Sprinfield go east to Salem or Eminence, Missouri, then go south on hwy 19 to Alton.
From Alton go east to Doniphan on hwy 160.
Fun roads.

Hi all,

The entire trip is 14 days long. We have a hard stop which gives us two options for getting back.

Either we leave on Saturday and have 5 days to get back or we leave on Sunday and have 4 longer days.

None of us have ever been to a MOA Rally and are unsure if one day is enough or we really should spend 2 days there.

For now we have decided to try and spend two days at the Rally thus 4 days to get back i.e. ~1500 miles to get home.

Our focus thus is mainly scenic roads with stops for breaks/fuel/sleep.

We're trying to extract the best possible experience and you guys are being super helpful with all your suggestions.

We are open to recommendations i.e. 1/2 day(s) at the Rally which would help firm up our return plans.

Thank you,
Pierre

For now we have decided to try and spend two days at the Rally thus 4 days to get back i.e. ~1500 miles to get home.

Our focus thus is mainly scenic roads with stops for breaks/fuel/sleep.

Pierre

That helps with any of the recommendations we give.

The boat museum will take too much time, and since it's close to you it would work for a day ride or weekend trip.
Something like the Arch viewing area on the east side of the river would work.

You can get a ride in the reproduction Hacker. It's worth it just to listen to the Chevy 502.
Antique Boat Museum Clayton (20).JPG

Antique Boat Museum Clayton (2).JPG

A few more boats.
Antique Boat Museum Clayton (11).JPG

Antique Boat Museum Clayton (19).JPG

Antique Boat Museum Clayton (14).JPG

The old house boat is interesting.
Antique Boat Museum Clayton (5).JPG

Antique Boat Museum Clayton (8).JPG

Antique Boat Museum Clayton (7).JPG

Antique Boat Museum Clayton (6).JPG

Mammoth Cave National Park is a "Cool"place to check out. Good camping spot and not to hectic of an over night shorter day ride out of the Rally. It's pretty there and interesting for first time travelers..............

Back