• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

buying a used out of state bike

troycifer

Hey All, I live in California and shopping for used 1150/1200/1250 GS. Searching online gets hits from both Arizona and Nevada but I know California has some particular rules for registering out of state bikes here. Frankly, the rules are a bit confusing and all over the place! I am interested if anyone has done this and what was their experience.
By the way, it is perfect riding weather!!! Get out there!

Troy

Welcome to the forum, Troy! Check some of the threads in the similar thread pane at the bottom of the screen. You'll find past discussions. They're a bit old, so probably will need to wait until new ideas are posted by other members.

I would go to your county courthouse or DMV and ask them what you need to do when buying out of state.

Hi Troy,
Also in that CA portal https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/ the first "pull-down" on the left has additional information.
Have fun at the DMV :scratch and be sure to check and verify your paperwork as it's being processed and again before you walk out the door.

If you have AAA, they can do almost all of it there - unless it needs an inspection. But once you have the bike in-state that would be my first stop...

If the bike is a 51-state bike, it's less an issue than if there is a specific CA version. When I moved to CA I had a low mile 2006 SV 650 that was not a CA bike, and in order to register it here it had to have over 7500 miles on the ODO. I don't remember what the cutoff year is for that rule, though.

If you have AAA, they can do almost all of it there - unless it needs an inspection. But once you have the bike in-state that would be my first stop...

Plus one for AAA. When I purchased my newer bike in January, the following day I was able to make an appointment and register the bike all before 10am. I was in and out of AAA within 10-15 min. That's my go to place now for registration issues.

Never knew that was possible.
We're lucky in our town. When I do vehicle registrations or pay house taxes I drive 1 mile to the courthouse and walk up to the counter.
On a busy day there may be one person in front of me :)

On a busy day there may be one person in front of me :)

Here in SoCal beach cities, on a good day, the line outside the door 30 minutes before the DMV opens will be less than 20 people...

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

Selling a bike in Iowa to a fellow from N. Carolina who plans to do a leisurely 5 day fly and rise home. A quick call to my DMV confirmed it's a simple process in Iowa. A call to your DMV may be more complicated.

In the big cities, never go to the DMV on a Monday or Friday - that's when most vehicles are bought and sold, so the lines will be longer ... if you don't have an appointment.

If one is using an insurance agent, have them do it. They have a way of smoothing things out as they are at the DMV regularly. It’s also what an agent is supposed to do.
OM

In the big cities, never go to the DMV on a Monday or Friday - that's when most vehicles are bought and sold, so the lines will be longer ... if you don't have an appointment.

I'd also say avoid the last few days or first few days of the month.

Come to think of to, is there ever a good time to go to the DMV?

SPP

https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/bringing-an-out-of-state-bike-into-california.178511/

If it's a BMW, it's a 50-state bike and the 7500 mile rule shouldn't apply. The 7500 mile rule is for vehicles that are not CA emissions compliant. That's so you can't buy a non-compliant vehicle in another state then bring it immediately to CA to register it.

<7,500 miles and it's considered a "new" vehicle and must meet CA emission requirements.
Bikes that do will have a sticker somewhere stating that they meet all states' requirements (the '07 KTM EXC models do!).

>7,500 miles and it's considered used, so you don't have to meet requirements.

Join AAA, and let them handle the title and reg transfer - fast and easy.

registering an out of state bike in California

Last week I registered my second out of state bike in California. Earlier this year, I had my first experience registering an out of state bike in California, so last week, I knew the ropes. The first bike a R1200RT I bought from a dealership in Chicago. It took about 6 weeks to arrive. I took the bike to AAA, but they said because it need a VIN verification, I would have to go to the DMV directly, which I did. There, I was told to show the DMV attendant the Federal Emissions stamps, the VIN and the engine number. I had no idea where those numbers were located. I called my local dealership and they knew where the VIN and engine number were, but getting to it was difficult at best. The guy I had to show it to wouldn't get on the ground to look up at the number. I had a tough time...but I prevailed.
The bike last week is a K1200LT with a Hannigan sidecar from Minesota. Before I took it to the DMV, I found the location of all the numbers, in the service manual. However, with the sidecar attached, the only way I could see the engine number was with a borescope camera.
It was easy to get through the VIN verification if you know where the numbers are located on the bike, and you can show them to the DMV attendant. Another option is to take the bike to a Highway Patrol Office, and they have someone there who will do the verification, but you still need to tell them where the numbers are located, and you still have to go to the DMV to register the bike.
Know where you numbers are located, and enjoy waiting in line.

Back