• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

CA to MN

bovdvm

I am picking up a 2018 1200RS in Long Beach and riding to Minneapolis, starting out on April 14th. Any suggestions?

April is early for the Rockies.

Check out Big Bend NP, then the back roads in the Texas Hill Country, NW Arkansas and SE Missouri.
Follow the Mississippi north to Mn.

How much time do you have? There are some awesome roads leaving X
CA, but they really increase time and distance traveled...

Hwy 2 from near Glendale, and then around Big Bear to start...

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

Take the I-40 east southern route to avoid the Rockies. Then take I-35 north on in to the Cities.

Joe

How much time do you have? There are some awesome roads leaving X
CA, but they really increase time and distance traveled...

Hwy 2 from near Glendale, and then around Big Bear to start...

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

I agree. If she has time she should spend some time in California.

Last edited:
I am picking up a 2018 1200RS in Long Beach and riding to Minneapolis, starting out on April 14th. Any suggestions?

Pack heated gear, enough extra clothing to handle an extra day or three on the road, and an open time schedule that allows detouring around bad weather or hunkering down for a day or two if you get caught. Beyond that, it’s just a matter of picking the roads you want to ride based upon time or interest and setting your path based upon weather forecasts and reports.

Best,
DeVern

Hi CowDoc, welcome and moooving right along...
R0ckrat is absolutely right, it depends on how much time you can take.
As a fellow retiree, may I recommend - zig-zag across the Sierras and the Cascades, zig-zag across the Rockies, take in as many National Parks as you can (hope you already have the Senior Pass)... No limit on what new stuff you can see!
Long Beach is a great shop - pass my regards on to Charles, Dave, and Dewey!

April in Minnesota can get nasty weather wise, so be prepared for anything!

It has been warm up here lately, but the last few years March has been very mild, then the weather turns to crap again in April!

Ca to MN

Check out Big Bend NP, then the back roads in the Texas Hill Country, NW Arkansas and SE Missouri.

Thank you for the suggestions. I plan on taking about 10 days. I used to live in Santa Cruz and Fresno so I have explored much of CA over the years. I am packing warm clothes. I think I will take your suggestion and take the southern route. I am prepared to hunker down if bad weather is coming.

Ca to MN

Thank you for the suggestions. I plan on taking about 10 days. I used to live in Santa Cruz and Fresno so I have explored much of CA over the years. I am packing warm clothes. I think I will take your suggestion and take the southern route. I am prepared to hunker down if bad weather is coming.

Pack heated gear, enough extra clothing to handle an extra day or three on the road, and an open time schedule that allows detouring around bad weather or hunkering down for a day or two if you get caught. Beyond that, it’s just a matter of picking the roads you want to ride based upon time or interest and setting your path based upon weather forecasts and reports.

Best,
DeVern

Thank you!

Hi CowDoc, welcome and moooving right along...
R0ckrat is absolutely right, it depends on how much time you can take.
As a fellow retiree, may I recommend - zig-zag across the Sierras and the Cascades, zig-zag across the Rockies, take in as many National Parks as you can (hope you already have the Senior Pass)... No limit on what new stuff you can see!
Long Beach is a great shop - pass my regards on to Charles, Dave, and Dewey!

Thank you!

Back