• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Elbe Hills Fun Ride

PacWestGS

25-MPH NEXT 1OO MILES
Hi ya' all, it was a beautiful day here in Washington and I just had to go find something to do. Elbe is a small 'Train Stop' at the South end of Alder Lake on the Nisqually River at the Junction of Hwy 7 and Hwy 706 towards Mt. Rainier. Elbe Hills is an OHV area off 96th Street about half way between Elbe and Ashford.

I'll let the pictures do the talking, because I just had too much fun with the little 'Pigglet'.

Majestic Mount. Rainier looking east
65195679-M.jpg

Getting ready to find trouble
65195680-M.jpg

Found trouble, darn gate was closed
65195689-M.jpg

Came back down out of the snow and found some rocks
65195694-M.jpg

65195696-M.jpg

Rocks led to mud and water holes, I didn't want to go through alone, will have to wait for my buddy to get his XR650L back on the road.

Just one of the many splended views (this was looking back towards Tacoma in the far off distance above the tail you can see the snow capped Olympic Mountains)
65195698-M.jpg

The area has trails for 4X4 and ATVs, this was rated as a 4X4 trail, but it gets pretty hairy as you will soon see.
65195702-M.jpg

65195705-M.jpg

This was at 2700 feet and although the temperatures were cool, I was sweating my butt off, time to take a break loose the under warmies and walk the hill down to see what lay ahead (Rocks, roots and slick mud, Oh the JOY)
65195709-M.jpg

This was looking down, trust me it was steep
65195711-M.jpg

Looking up, about halfway to the first turn on a three-hundred foot elevation change
65195715-M.jpg

Lookin down again at the that first turn
65195719-M.jpg

Looking up from the turn
65195720-M.jpg

A resting place just after the turn and a lot less rocks (I'm pointing at the Mountain but the light meter didn't adjust for the best picture, you'll see it without me)
65195732-M.jpg

65195735-M.jpg

Back off the hills and on Hwy 706 there's this crazy place with all sorts of metal figures, I'm surprised it's taken me 17-years to stop and take pictures
65195737-M.jpg

65195743-M.jpg

Aagh, finally back to Elbe, with dead batteries in the camera so this is it, then 20-minutes to home.
65195748-M.jpg

65195749-M.jpg

It was a magnificent day, and I only had to say "Good Save, Good Save" twice on that hill. I almost christened her twice going down and over those rocks, but managed to save it both times all sprawled over the tank and handlebars. Don't think I would have saved the 1150 from certain doom on that hill.

Any body that wants to go ride with me, there are lots of trails and places I still need to explore up there.

Until the next time, have fun and go out and ride. :wave

Doc

Great report, Doc, and good pictures, too. I love to see a bike in its element. Looks like you and piglet had a blast! :type

Visian said:
Oohhh... fun! Did you ride that?

Thanks for the report.

Ian

Yep, first gear, lots of clutch and skidding the back tire down, and judicious use of the front brake.

Those rocks in the that picture were what messed me up the most. I came down the right side of the trail mostly up on the dirt (Left as your looking at the picture) and then tried to go around the rocks to the left and right of that tree root, I hit one them other rollie rocks and almost lost the front end. Since I has to start out again sitting down, I didn't have the ballance to get through the next 20 feet hit a few more rocks and drove off the trail just little and on the second save of the day. After that I got to stand up again, and the trail got better too, it was mostly dirt, mud and few more firmly planted boulders thrown in with some more tree roots.

It ain't the 'Pig' (weighing in at nearly 600lbs) but at 420lbs, little 'Piglet' is still quite a handful compared to my YZ @ 240lb which has a lot more bark. The GSD is maybe a little too smooth in the power delivery department, but hey, that's what I bought it for, garage to ride and back to garage, no trucks no trailers. I'll get better on it, just gotta keep riding.

I'm not in any hurry, but it's not gonna be a true off-road machine until I've dropped it a few times on each side. :laugh

Back