• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

‘90 K75S…Fork oil leak from pinch bolt?

jrx222

Near Balto. MD
The other day I noticed about a quarter teaspoon of fork oil on the right side rotor and wheel directly under the fork tube. It seemed to be coming from one of the pinch bolts. Thought that was weird… so I cleaned it up and took it for a short ride. The next day I saw same evidence. It doesn’t seem like it’s coming from the drain bolt and I saw no evidence of it leaking higher up on the fork tube. Is it even possible for a leak to come from around one of the pinch bolts?

No.

If you want to prove that, take that pinch bolt out, clean the fork an go for another ride with the bolt removed. I’m pretty sure it will end up just like what you have now.

Easiest way to find the source of a hard to find leak is to THOROUGHLY clean the entire area. Then dust the area with a powder like baby powder or spray deodorant powder. Then go for a short ride until you start seeing a streak in the powder. The streak will point to the source of the leak. It won’t be the pinchbolt, that’s just the low spot that the oil is running to.

:dance:dance:dance

Last edited:
Could be that the oil is coming from the bolt that secures the fork internals to the lower fork leg. It is installed from the bottom and is accessed once the axle and wheel are removed. There should be a copper crush washer on the bolt. This kind of leak is not very common in my opinion but would explain where the oil is coming from. Probably best to remove the fork from the bike to fix if this is the problem.

Frank

I just realized I had never followed up…. Last year I removed the axle to access the the fork internals retaining screw. There was some oil around it so I tightened the screw just a little even though it didn’t seem loose. So far that seems to have resolved the issue although I didn’t ride it too much last year. Thanks!

Back