Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Bought the Sargent seat

Quote Originally Posted by BrianAMcPhail View Post
    I was feeling the pressure... literally... on both my ass and the clock ticking down to a long road trip (MOA Getaway- Fontana) coming up about 30 days from now.

That will be my first 400+ mile trip, but I have had a few all day outings on my 22 RT. Like most of you- I read everything on the groups, forums and all that and I have grown quite accustomed to seeing and mostly ignoring the chronic complainers.

Having come from the exact opposite of anything resembling a touring bike- I was doing my best to dismiss the fairly consistent criticism of the OEM regular seat. I was wrong. I came to grips with this today, and bought the Sarge. I've been see-sawing about this since the weather started to cooperate.. trying to decide "Could this seat really be this bad?" Yep. Fraid so. At least for me. Wore me out in about 3 hours max..

Dane tells me he is going to do his best to have it in my hands in time..

https://www.sargentcycle.com/Seats-A...4-SE-IHFR.html

Mine will look exactly as the sample shown with the metallic silver welt. They do offer a racing blue welt- but I have enough other subtle blue bits & touches on mine already.
    Well, what's the verdict?

Quote Originally Posted by 61996 View Post
    I've installed a Sargent seat on every BMW I've owned...if that tells you something.

Its an investment that your won't regret.

Joe
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by BrianAMcPhail View Post
    I was feeling the pressure... literally... on both my ass and the clock ticking down to a long road trip (MOA Getaway- Fontana) coming up about 30 days from now.

That will be my first 400+ mile trip, but I have had a few all day outings on my 22 RT. Like most of you- I read everything on the groups, forums and all that and I have grown quite accustomed to seeing and mostly ignoring the chronic complainers.

Having come from the exact opposite of anything resembling a touring bike- I was doing my best to dismiss the fairly consistent criticism of the OEM regular seat. I was wrong. I came to grips with this today, and bought the Sarge. I've been see-sawing about this since the weather started to cooperate.. trying to decide "Could this seat really be this bad?" Yep. Fraid so. At least for me. Wore me out in about 3 hours max..

Dane tells me he is going to do his best to have it in my hands in time..

https://www.sargentcycle.com/Seats-A...4-SE-IHFR.html

Mine will look exactly as the sample shown with the metallic silver welt. They do offer a racing blue welt- but I have enough other subtle blue bits & touches on mine already.
    I bought the same seat as you after having one to many trips shortened or just an aching pain in my butt after barely an hour on a stock seat. I have had my Sergeant for 5 years now and I don't even think about my seat these days, no matter how long the ride is and that's the biggest compliment I could say. I love it and I hope you do as well.
    So many Bay Area roads, so little time.

Kontour Seats?

Has anyone purchased a Kontour seat? https://kontourseat.com . Are they still open for business? Any reviews on Kontour seats?
    Ray
    '74 R90/6. '75 R90S. '76 R90S. 2019 R1250RT
    Too many dirt bikes to list.

Quote Originally Posted by ramble View Post
    Anyone using the BackUp back rest with a Sargent. seat on a 2020 RT, or similar year?
    I have both on my 2016 RT. I don't use the Backup anymore because, for stiffness, it rests against the pillion which does not provide enough stiffness to keep the backup as firm as I would like.

YMMV,
    Ski

Hey all. I got a PM about this a couple days ago. This prompted me to realize that maybe others might want a review. Here was my response..

Hey- the Sarge has been terrific so far. It was a must have leading up to the Fontana MOA getaway (a 1200+ mile long weekend) Pretty much saved the trip for me. It's been great to ride basically all day- with pretty minimal rest stops. The OEM was good for about 1-2 hours at best.

While it has seen limited usage- I'm also pretty certain that the heat works way better than the OEM does on the rider seat. My wife never complained about the OEM heat levels out back, but the rider seat heater was weak- plain and simple.

If you go this route- take your time and read everything carefully before installing. Don't cut the zip tie or jump ahead for any reason- no matter how obvious it may seem.

So yes- I am very happy with it so far. The bike (2022 R1250RT) has over 5k on it- probably 25% of those miles can be attributed to that 1 trip to Fontana. Like others have said- I rarely think about my butt now. By the end of all day rides- sure. Of course you are getting a bit sore. Especially when much of the day has been at a umm... "spirited" pace. I don't think I could ask much more of a seat than what I have.

Wifey also likes hers. She's not with me for most rides- but when she is- she loves her little throne. Of course- 7 years of riding on the back of a Victory Judge (with Airhawk) serves to set one's expectations pretty damn low LMAO
    I am a descendant of Men who would not be ruled.

New Sargent seat arrived today. I'm planning a moderately long ride tomorrow to see how she feels. Fingers crossed.

Rode two hours. Pretty comfortable. Completely different feel compared to the OEM seat. I like to sit close to the tank and the Sargent seat has a ass pocket that I have to slide back a little to get into. This makes me have to lean forward more, which isn't bad especially at speed when there is wind to hold me up a bit. The bottom line, pun intended, is that it is more comfortable than the OEM. I think it's a keeper.
    20220804_114751.jpg

I've had Sargent's on most of my bikes. Put the riders seat on my 2019 RT (returned the pillion because my wife preferred OEM). Thought it was a little harder than other seats from them, and bought the bike down a little lower. I have a 34" inseam, so wanted to add a little height and cushion.
    These did the trick for me. I know there's another company here in the US now, but these guys (in the UK) make the covers for factory and/or Sargent seats. Just figured I'd pass it on. Wife & I both really like them!

https://www.coolcovers.co.uk/
    Bill Rorke #200394
    Chesnee, SC
    2019 R1250 RT
    2009 R1200 GSA

Quote Originally Posted by radiofun1 View Post
    Rode two hours. Pretty comfortable. Completely different feel compared to the OEM seat. I like to sit close to the tank and the Sargent seat has a ass pocket that I have to slide back a little to get into. This makes me have to lean forward more, which isn't bad especially at speed when there is wind to hold me up a bit. The bottom line, pun intended, is that it is more comfortable than the OEM. I think it's a keeper.
    I should get even better after a few thousand miles
    Current: 2021 R NineT, 2016 R1200RT
    Past: 2005 R1200RT (2/2015 - 12/2016), 1987 K100RS (12/2015 - 12/2016), 2007 KTM 450 XC-W (10/17 - 5/18), 1985 Yamaha XJ 700 Maxim (7/1989 - 9/1991)

Rode two hours. Pretty comfortable. Completely different feel compared to the OEM seat. I like to sit close to the tank and the Sargent seat has a ass pocket that I have to slide back a little to get into.]
    Debbie had a Sargent on her K1200RS and K1300S and liked it. At the National she took a Sargent seat out to her R1250RS to sit on and she noticed the pocket holding her in place and didn't think she would like that. She did not get to ride with it. We ordered our bikes with the Sport seat. It's the tallest option.
    After the National we stopped at Engles and we mentioned the standard seat on the R1200RS was better for both of us. They let her swap her Sport seat for a Standard.
    Lee
    2022 R1250RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2016 R1200RS, 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by craydds View Post
    Has anyone purchased a Kontour seat? https://kontourseat.com . Are they still open for business? Any reviews on Kontour seats?
    Skip it. Poor quality materials, and Ron Miller doesn’t stand behind his product. Seats are made in Mexico and the build quality is low. Blames the customer for any/all issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Debbie had a Sargent on her K1200RS and K1300S and liked it. At the National she took a Sargent seat out to her R1250RS to sit on and she noticed the pocket holding her in place and didn't think she would like that. She did not get to ride with it. We ordered our bikes with the Sport seat. It's the tallest option.
    After the National we stopped at Engles and we mentioned the standard seat on the R1200RS was better for both of us. They let her swap her Sport seat for a Standard.
    It got what Sargent calls the "Tall" seat, which is almost exactly the same height as the OEM seat. I don't any difference height wise between the Sagent and the OEM. And the height is right for me.

It got what Sargent calls the "Tall" seat, which is almost exactly the same height as the OEM seat. I don't any difference height wise between the Sagent and the OEM. And the height is right for me.
    Yep it was the taller Sargent seat she tried. Like you mentioned it's close to the same height as the standard RS seat.
    Lee
    2022 R1250RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2016 R1200RS, 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT