• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Not an oil question but an excessive oil consumption question. Advice needed.

beemvayman

I have a 2007 R1200R which I love and has been excellent in every way for the last 15 years. I live in the Washington,DC metropolitan area and have ridden this bike to Key West, the Carolinas and so forth, and regularly to the NYC and Norfolk, VA areas without issues.
However, now I'm planning a trip to the west coast and back for late spring or summer and somehow I started to think about a new K1600B. I was talking to a BMW master tech whom I respect and is pretty well-known in our area about this and was surprised when he told me he wouldn't recommend that bike. He said he's seen too many that use about a quart of oil per 500 miles and that BMW claims that is normal. Naturally he thinks that figure is not acceptable--and I don't either.
My question, fellow members who own this engine, is this been your experience too or has my tech just happened to run into a bad bunch as a coincidence.
Thank you in advance for your advice.

I have a 2007 R1200R which I love and has been excellent in every way for the last 15 years. I live in the Washington,DC metropolitan area and have ridden this bike to Key West, the Carolinas and so forth, and regularly to the NYC and Norfolk, VA areas without issues.
However, now I'm planning a trip to the west coast and back for late spring or summer and somehow I started to think about a new K1600B. I was talking to a BMW master tech whom I respect and is pretty well-known in our area about this and was surprised when he told me he wouldn't recommend that bike. He said he's seen too many that use about a quart of oil per 500 miles and that BMW claims that is normal. Naturally he thinks that figure is not acceptable--and I don't either.
My question, fellow members who own this engine, is this been your experience too or has my tech just happened to run into a bad bunch as a coincidence.

I say balderdash. Does your bike burn oil going to New York or South Carolina? If not, why would it burn oil in Indiana or Wyoming? If you want a new bike OK, that's cool. But don't be persuaded by tales of oil consumption your bike is not exhibiting.

Hi Paul,
Sorry my question wasn't clear; the tech didn't say that he doesn't recommend my R1200R, he was responding to my inquiry on his opinion about the K1600B engines. He says the BMW 6 cylinder moto engines use an unacceptable amount of oil--approximately a quart per 500 miles.
BTW, my R1200R uses almost no oil between oil/filter services of 6,000 miles.

Hi Paul,
Sorry my question wasn't clear; the tech didn't say that he doesn't recommend my R1200R, he was responding to my inquiry on his opinion about the K1600B engines. He says the BMW 6 cylinder moto engines use an unacceptable amount of oil--approximately a quart per 500 miles.
BTW, my R1200R uses almost no oil between oil/filter services of 6,000 miles.

Ah, my misunderstanding.

Early 1600’s had some issues with broken ring lands, which resulted in excessive oil consumption.
Lugging the smooth 6 may have contributed to this problem, and I believe BMW responded with a software update that retarded ignition a bit at lower rpm’s to prevent detonation and subsequent damage. Later versions of this engine may have had stronger pistons, I am not sure if there was a part number change. I have not heard of this problem with the newer models.

k1600 oil use

Anecdotal evidence (FWIW): I have around 3500 miles on a 2013 K 1600 with absolutely no oil use whatsoever.

Had a 2013 GTL that put 35K on & now 2018 GTL with 17k on and no oil consumption problems. My 18 will take less than half quart in 5k. Damn fine X country bike.

I have a 2018 K1600b. It uses no discernable amount of oil between oil changes. Having said that, I wouldn't be too surprised if it (or any motorcycle) used a small amount of oil during the hottest parts of summer on an extended interstate trip. Say half a quart, maybe. But to date mine has been fine. I know there have been a few owners on the K1600 forum that have had issues with oil consumption. All you can do is poke around and decide for yourself. https://www.k1600forum.com/
I think it's a pretty solid engine. It's been in production for quite a while now with no real horror stories that I know of. Frankly, I'm more disappointed in the straight-line handling of the K1600b and GA in traffic. They really don't like dirty air. Bad enough that BMW corporate decided to govern the top speed of the GA at 101 mph. That tell me the issue is real, in spite of what the kool-aid drinkers will claim (Mah B is dead stable up to ah hunnerd and sixty malls an owah! You pussez jes don't know how to ride!")

No evidence of excessive oil consumption

My '19 1600RT now has 25k on the odometer. Combination of long days touring & "fast" short stress relief rides. I've never needed to add oil between the required service intervals.

Hi motormike,
Could you elaborate on the straight line handling issue that you mentioned please?
Just go to the K1600 forum site and enter a search for "weave" or "wobble" or the like. Just for fun, I typed in "wobble" and got 485 results! Or easyer still, just scroll down this site to "what will take the wobble out" and you can read my response to an upset GA owner. In a nutshell, the K1600b and GA just don't like to be in the turbulence thrown off by another vehicle. While most any motorcycle will move around in the wake of an 18 wheeler, the B and GA do it behind the turbulence thrown off by a small car! It really makes them dance around, far more so (IMHO) than any other motorcycle I've ever ridden or owned. (I've been riding for 50 years) I don't think it ever gets to the point of being dangerous, but if you're riding the bike on the interstate for a long time, it gets more than just a little aggravating to have to put up with. And once again, in my opinon, on a bike as expensive and powerful as the big K1600, you shouldn't have to. The original K1600GT and GTL are much better in this respect. I think that when BMW designed the B and GA, lowering the rear of the bike to get the low seat height "bagger" style bikes require, they simply didn't do enough testing (or didn't want too) and spend any more $$ to address any perceived instability problem. The quick and dirty way (at least on the GA) was to program in the low top speed limiter. Wouldn't want to spend $$$ making any changes to the frame geometry to fix the problem! They felt it was an acceptable trade-off for the light sport bike-like handling the bikes have (and many agree, but I'm not one that does) Some have felt so strongly that the bike is "not fit for purpose" to file complaints with the NTSB, since BMW will do nothing about it. https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2019/BMW/K1600B. I know it sounds like I'm ragging on the bike, and that's only because it is so excellent in every other respect. I like mine and continue to ride it. I just think BMW can and should do better.

Last edited:
(Mah B is dead stable up to ah hunnerd and sixty malls an owah! You pussez jes don't know how to ride!")

Silly question time: Have you tried different tires or tire pressures?

BTW, I lak yer ak-sent. :laugh

Apologies for the thread derail.

Silly question time: Have you tried different tires or tire pressures?

BTW, I lak yer ak-sent. :laugh

Apologies for the thread derail.

I suspect BMW would not have governed (restricted) the speed the way they did if it were a matter of tire pressure or brand. I think it is pretty clear that it is a matter of aerodynamics. I think - unlike the legendary R100RS, BMW did not do as extensive wind tunnel testing as might have helped them. Formover function, I think.

I think it is pretty clear that it is a matter of aerodynamics. I think - unlike the legendary R100RS, BMW did not do as extensive wind tunnel testing as might have helped them. Form over function, I think.
Extensive? I doubt if BMW did any meaningful testing. Expand the model range for as little investment as possible. When it comes to the B and the GA, the marketing department was running the show.

I've had several discussions with BMW techs and other BMW riders and the common denominator with the B and GA is the rear end being lower than the GT/GTL. Add foot boards mid body and you have some odd aerodynamic forces working on these models.
I own a GT and have never ridden a B/GA so I can't speak to their issues first hand.

My local dealer said they can’t believe BMW released a bike with uncharacteristic questionable handling. My GTL does pretty good on the highway at 75+ mph but any bike behind a 80,000 lb plus semi is going to move around to some extent. The two best bikes on the highway for me was my Honda Valkyrie and 2018 RT. Both were pretty solid

I find it borderline criminal that a motorcycle company in the land of the Autobahn would release a motorcycle with anything other than stellar high-speed handling.

Back