• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Ut oh, 00 R1100RT w/ 80k cutting out.

It's the insulation inside the splice that fails first.
Not visible unless you cut it open.
The old style units all eventually fail and strand the rider usually during a rainstorm.
They can be rewired with teflon aircraft grade wire, good for the life of the bike.

I've got the bike taken apart. Replaced the leaking fork seals and got the hes exposed. The HES has a soft pliable jacket over the multicolored wires and no visible manufacturing mark or brand that I can see. Is there any way to tell if this is the original prone to failure HES or a replacement? will post pics.

Thanks, should I assume it’s a good one and look further for my issue with the motor cutting out

I am not sure. If truly an aftermarket system of unknown origin I have no idea what wire was used in the bundle. One might assume that "good" wire was used, but the same assumption might believe that BMW originally used "good" wire which they decidedly did not. Other wiser folks might know.

I am not sure. If truly an aftermarket system of unknown origin I have no idea what wire was used in the bundle. One might assume that "good" wire was used, but the same assumption might believe that BMW originally used "good" wire which they decidedly did not. Other wiser folks might know.

thanks, it would be good to know if the replacement was a "good" one, but assuming it was put in after the original went bad, it still should have a few miles left in it. Assume does contain the word ass. I may look elsewhere and see if I can find something obvious. could be a short in the ignition wires, or kill switch??? coil?

For those that like closure.
Since the HES was replaced, I went ahead and replaced the coil with a used one. Rode it about 60 miles yesterday with no issue. fingers crossed, but that seemed to be the issue. It was good I had a look at the HES as the alt belt was fraying so I replaced it while I was in there.
thanks for the advice and suggestions.

For those that like closure.
Since the HES was replaced, I went ahead and replaced the coil with a used one. Rode it about 60 miles yesterday with no issue. fingers crossed, but that seemed to be the issue. It was good I had a look at the HES as the alt belt was fraying so I replaced it while I was in there.
thanks for the advice and suggestions.

Look closely at the coil you took out -- sometimes, with age, the outer plastic case splits from the epoxy fill on the inside and exposes it to atmosphere. Corrosion then causes all sorts of issues. Replacing it with a used one is a totally fine way to go as long as the used one is intact.

Look closely at the coil you took out -- sometimes, with age, the outer plastic case splits from the epoxy fill on the inside and exposes it to atmosphere. Corrosion then causes all sorts of issues. Replacing it with a used one is a totally fine way to go as long as the used one is intact.
The one I took out "looked" fine , no cracks, but the issue disappeared when the coil was replaced. fingers still crossed.

Back