Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 37

Thread: What about the 2022 Grand Coddiwomple?

  1. #16
    slave to gravity skibum69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    New Melbourne, NL
    Posts
    4,902
    Damn! What do I do if I can't find my Coddiwomple flag?
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon 7frrnSRiTt9Fk

  2. #17
    #13338 PGlaves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    "Big Bend" TX
    Posts
    23,157
    Quote Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
    Damn! What do I do if I can't find my Coddiwomple flag?
    Go back to where you left it.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  3. #18
    Dances With Sheep GREGFEELER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    5,094
    Quote Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
    Damn! What do I do if I can't find my Coddiwomple flag?
    Contact the Coddiwomple team. They should be able to send you a PDF file of your flag with which you can make another.
    Greg Feeler
    Member at large
    Ambassador
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

  4. #19
    slave to gravity skibum69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    New Melbourne, NL
    Posts
    4,902
    I did a photocopy from an older photo. Out to get a few today.
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon 7frrnSRiTt9Fk

  5. #20
    Dances With Sheep GREGFEELER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    5,094
    Quote Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
    I did a photocopy from an older photo. Out to get a few today.
    That will probably work if it looks the same in photos as the original flag, but the rules say to contact coddiwomple@bmwmoa.org. Just sayin'.

    https://www.bmwmoa.org/page/coddiwomple_rules
    Greg Feeler
    Member at large
    Ambassador
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

  6. #21
    slave to gravity skibum69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    New Melbourne, NL
    Posts
    4,902
    No time to wait for one in the mail, I'm going back to work next week and will not have any riding time. Here's hoping this works?
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon 7frrnSRiTt9Fk

  7. #22
    New_AlaBeemer HSVPhil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Rocket City, AL
    Posts
    560
    Jus Sayin, these volunteer judges can’t even agree on the interpretation of the CW Written Rules...

    Ya really need to get somebody’s buy-in before expending a lot of time & effort.

    We’re spinning our wheels w/regard to the validation of State Historical Markers for 'Wander Farther' scoring.

    How do U spell U F B?


  8. #23
    New_AlaBeemer HSVPhil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Rocket City, AL
    Posts
    560
    So, Congratulations to Ms Zoyhofski!

    She outperformed many enthusiastic riders by a Large margin!


    In my interpretation, with multiple tied scores in the list of finishers, Team-HSV came in tied for 24th.

    The MOA CW staff says next year's challenge is gonna be Bigger & Better.
    They will hopefully read and revise the final Rules many times before publishing.

    Here’s hoping next year’s theme will be as interesting as “getting your kicks on Route 66." Our eXplorations were terminated due to an uneXpected hospitalization; our planned X-country ADVentures just didn’t pan out...

    Ya’ll have a Happy and Safe New Year out there on the Highways & Byways!
    Ciao! HSV-Phil & HSV-Karen

    Gemini-Giant-IL.jpeg

  9. #24
    slave to gravity skibum69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    New Melbourne, NL
    Posts
    4,902
    Hopefully next year has more challenge options that aren't just US region specific. There was not much for me to go after on the last one.
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon 7frrnSRiTt9Fk

  10. #25
    Hopefully more common sense on some of the rules. City Halls, Fire Dept, Police Dept (nice safe parking lot for picture) were rejected because it has to be a city limit sign (busy road and on the shoulder)? I stopped playing due to number of rejections and unbending interpretation of the rules. I get there needs to be rules but what the intent of the game should take precedence. If a city name is required then does the picture show (simple yes or no) you went there? Waiting to see what they come up with for 2023 to decide if I will play or not. Great idea they have come up with but still working out the implementation as you would expect for first 2 years.

  11. #26
    Dances With Sheep GREGFEELER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    5,094
    Quote Originally Posted by 60aviator View Post
    Hopefully more common sense on some of the rules. City Halls, Fire Dept, Police Dept (nice safe parking lot for picture) were rejected because it has to be a city limit sign (busy road and on the shoulder)? I stopped playing due to number of rejections and unbending interpretation of the rules. I get there needs to be rules but what the intent of the game should take precedence. If a city name is required then does the picture show (simple yes or no) you went there? Waiting to see what they come up with for 2023 to decide if I will play or not. Great idea they have come up with but still working out the implementation as you would expect for first 2 years.
    Interesting comments. I and the Demented Instigator cooked up the Grand Coddewomple through much of 2020 while the world was locked down with the COVID pandemic. I worked on some of the scoring for the first year in 2021, and also helped with creation of the challenges for 2022, although I did not work on the 2022 rules, or any part of the running of the 2022 Coddiwomple. I am helping out with the 2023 Challenges and Rules.

    As I'm sure everyone can understand, it's not easy to come up with interesting challenges that can be clearly described and objectively judged. That last part is absolutely essential because it's the only way the event can be fair, and that many thousands of submissions can be processed quickly with a very small group of judges. During the first year we found out that several challenges could be interpreted in ways we never intended, and that alone generated many hundreds of hours of review and discussion.

    Your example of, "If a city name is required then does the picture show (simple yes or no) you went there?" would be a nightmare to judge if not very, very tightly defined. What constitutes a sign that can't be faked, or mistaken for a different city in a different state? A city limits sign is one way because it lists the city and state and is placed by either the city or state government. Yes, not always in a coinvent location to park a bike, but non-the-less definitive. We do take into consideration the practicality of capturing a challenge, but since virtually none of the things which can be used for a given challenge were designed to have a bike parked near them, there are some inherent documentation difficulties that become part of the challenge, which is why you can use your face in place of your bike.

    To say the Grand Coddiwomple team has learned much over the last two years isn't even close! I know everyone wants to make our third event even "better" - more interesting challenges, more clarity in the rules, better for our Canadian members, and hopefully even more fun.
    Greg Feeler
    Member at large
    Ambassador
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

  12. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by GREGFEELER View Post
    Interesting comments. I and the Demented Instigator cooked up the Grand Coddewomple through much of 2020 while the world was locked down with the COVID pandemic. I worked on some of the scoring for the first year in 2021, and also helped with creation of the challenges for 2022, although I did not work on the 2022 rules, or any part of the running of the 2022 Coddiwomple. I am helping out with the 2023 Challenges and Rules.

    As I'm sure everyone can understand, it's not easy to come up with interesting challenges that can be clearly described and objectively judged. That last part is absolutely essential because it's the only way the event can be fair, and that many thousands of submissions can be processed quickly with a very small group of judges. During the first year we found out that several challenges could be interpreted in ways we never intended, and that alone generated many hundreds of hours of review and discussion.

    Your example of, "If a city name is required then does the picture show (simple yes or no) you went there?" would be a nightmare to judge if not very, very tightly defined. What constitutes a sign that can't be faked, or mistaken for a different city in a different state? A city limits sign is one way because it lists the city and state and is placed by either the city or state government. Yes, not always in a coinvent location to park a bike, but non-the-less definitive. We do take into consideration the practicality of capturing a challenge, but since virtually none of the things which can be used for a given challenge were designed to have a bike parked near them, there are some inherent documentation difficulties that become part of the challenge, which is why you can use your face in place of your bike.

    To say the Grand Coddiwomple team has learned much over the last two years isn't even close! I know everyone wants to make our third event even "better" - more interesting challenges, more clarity in the rules, better for our Canadian members, and hopefully even more fun.
    Greg I think you are a little confused. The Platinum required City and state not the regular one. All the city limits signs I submitted just said "City Name" and city limits. I would submit that a picture of a town's City Hall is way more credible than the limits sign. Not trying to make it difficult but if a city/place is required then does the picture show that? When all challenges are turned down with the quote of which rule then that takes the fun out of it and why bother anymore? Judges have to have the leeway to interpret the rules and their intent or they are just robotic score keepers. The one thing that amazes me and I don't doubt it, is that someone would cheat at this when no money is involved. What we use to say in the service was, "Rigidly Flexible". We also said, "No good deed goes unpunished" too.

  13. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by 60aviator View Post
    When all challenges are turned down with the quote of which rule then that takes the fun out of it and why bother anymore?
    Just a comment from the peanut gallery, but why does there have to be so many rules? To me, this could be way simpler, which would make it more funner.


    fwiw, I never see any posts about this in my social feeds, is there a hashtag?

  14. #29
    Debbie's Servant Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    9,939
    Quote Originally Posted by GREGFEELER View Post
    A city limits sign is one way because it lists the city and state and is placed by either the city or state government. .
    A lot of city signs don't show the state.
    Here's one for Cool, Ca.

    Picture 097.jpg
    Lee
    2022 R1250RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2016 R1200RS, 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

  15. #30
    #13338 PGlaves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    "Big Bend" TX
    Posts
    23,157
    I suppose somebody will immediately prove me wrong with a photo, but here in Texas I don't think I have ever seen a city limits sign with the state included.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Similar Threads

  1. 2022 BMW MOA Grand Coddiwomple Thread
    By wildhoagie in forum Motorrad
    Replies: 114
    Last Post: 11-03-2022, 04:31 AM
  2. Replies: 425
    Last Post: 06-25-2022, 11:38 PM
  3. Announcing BMW MOA 2021 Grand Coddiwomple!
    By GREGFEELER in forum Motorrad
    Replies: 341
    Last Post: 03-23-2022, 11:48 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-18-2021, 04:44 PM
  5. Selected Grand Coddiwomple Outakes
    By akbeemer in forum Motorrad
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-05-2021, 03:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •