• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Hello from Everett, WA

v1rotate

Hi all,

I joined BMWMOA last year but figured I'd finally officially introduce myself.

Rode a 1150GS for a number of years before selling it off. Got the itch to ride again last year, decided to take things in a completely different direction. Found a local 1963 R50/2 fitted with a BMW 700 sedan engine (Dynastart starter-generator) and a 1973 Jupiter sidecar. The wife had a blast riding around town in the chair last summer at a blistering 45 MPH!

Currently have major sidecar restoration work underway (body work and paint, frame powdercoating, chrome replating, upholstery, etc.), plus I'm doing some extensive electrical rewiring. Hoping to have everything completed by May.

I have lots to learn about vintage airheads as well as the sidecar setup, so I'll be asking plenty of questions about the care and feeding of the new rig.

I'll probably post a separate thread in the Sidecars and Trikes section with some details about the project.

Jason

R50Jupiter2.jpg

Welcome! Good luck with the restoration. Have you got a left side view? I'm curious about the engine.

Welcome! Good luck with the restoration. Have you got a left side view? I'm curious about the engine.

Not a left side view per se, but here's a front view of the motor (will upload a better photo when I get back in town). Generally speaking, same form-factor as the original engine.

Current configuration is lack of front cover, plus aftermarket coil mounted on a home-brew bracket above the Dynastart. The wires at the top/front connect to the Dynastart: 1) 12 VDC OUT, 2) generator field IN 3) starter voltage IN from starter solonoid 4) coil IN. I intend to increase the gauge of the starter wire and replace the other wires as I work through the rewiring project.

Moto engine 1.jpg

Welcome Jason, from the Tenn River valley!

Nothing wrong with a BMW project bike, especially when the Better-Half is fully supportive! :thumb

It might be a bridge too far, but this year’s Rally is one NOT to be missed! :nono - - MOA will celebrate 50 Big Ones! :drink
See if you can wend your way toward Springfield, MO in June {maybe start out in May}! Enjoy your excursions!

https://rally.bmwmoa.org

Happy Trails whenever U can - Ciao!
HSV-Karen & HSV-Phil
USN-Ret'd —-&-— USAF-Ret’d

'09 650GS-twin — '14 K-GT
'82 R100CS ——— '75 R90S
'16 R1200RS —-— ’05 Vespa 200L
:beer

Back