• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Browser or VBulletin issue?

gtrider

Running into a problem when viewing the forum on iPad w/iOS 15.3.1 and using DuckDuckGo browser. Clicking on some thread titles after pulling up “New Posts” results the error message shown below. That message blocks any access to the thread and posts within the thread. At first it was just one or two threads but now seems to be increasing, but with no discernible pattern. I am able to view the threads using Safari, which I generally prefer not to use. While it’s easy to just label this as a browser issue, I have been using DDG browser in the forums for years and never before encountered this issue. Any ideas as to cause or solution?

2123D997-AAE8-4D32-B0F7-AC1C5483B25C.jpeg

Thanks,

DeVern

Have you logged out completely and cleared cookies and history and then log in fresh?
Is this happening on more than one device- if you have multiple ways to get on the forum.
I can actually “see” that warning when a “bot” has looked at a section of the forum- sideways.
OM

Have you logged out completely and cleared cookies and history and then log in fresh?
Is this happening on more than one device- if you have multiple ways to get on the forum.
I can actually “see” that warning when a “bot” has looked at a section of the forum- sideways.
OM

Logged out of forum, which automatically clears cookies, and rebooted. No change. :(

Best.
DeVern

You really need to clean it “all” out to see what is up.

There is many reports of incompatibility issues relating to DDG.

Why has DuckDuckGo stopped working?
If DuckDuckGo is not working in Chrome, that can be due to antivirus or firewall configuration. Browser settings are also related to this issue, so you might have to reset them to fix the problem. Your cache often leads to such inconveniences, therefore make sure that you clear it properly.Nov 12, 2021

DuckDuckGo not working in Chrome? Here's what to do - Windows Reporthttps://windowsreport.com › duckduckgo-

OM

There is many reports of incompatibility issues relating to DDG.

Why has DuckDuckGo stopped working?
If DuckDuckGo is not working in Chrome, that can be due to antivirus or firewall configuration. Browser settings are also related to this issue, so you might have to reset them to fix the problem. Your cache often leads to such inconveniences, therefore make sure that you clear it properly.Nov 12, 2021

DuckDuckGo not working in Chrome? Here's what to do - Windows Reporthttps://windowsreport.com › duckduckgo-

OM

Thanks, those refer to the search engine website, not the DDG browser itself, which is a fork of Chrome. As it is, the current version (7.65.12.0) was released 4 days ago and I only noticed the issue the last couple days so pretty sure it’s related to this latest update. The issue doesn’t appear on any thread I’ve participated in and affects only certain other random threads, and I’ve not found a common link amongst those threads. I’ll take up the issue with the developers, tho I note that this is the only forum where I’ve encountered the issue.

Best,
DeVern

DeVern -

Do you visit any other vBulletin forums? vB used to be widespread, but it seems to be slipping into the past. It would be good to know if another vB forum presents the same problem...that might help the developers understand what is happening. Although older, vB has been pretty stable and acceptable to apps on the internet.

tho I note that this is the only forum where I’ve encountered the issue.

Best,
DeVern

Note what version of vBulletin is used elsewhere if you notice a forum that uses it with no problems. Perhaps it is related to the very old version being used here.

Version 4.2.5

Usually found at the very bottom of the page.

DDG uses Chrome? My experience is that Chrome is incredibly invasive In it’s own. :eek
Nothing is free on the web.
OM

DDG uses Chrome? My experience is that Chrome is incredibly invasive In it’s own. :eek
Nothing is free on the web.
OM

One of the great things about a fork project is the ability to dump all the unwanted or undesirable things in the original…
;)

Best,
DeVern

Note what version of vBulletin is used elsewhere if you notice a forum that uses it with no problems. Perhaps it is related to the very old version being used here.

Version 4.2.5

Usually found at the very bottom of the page.

DeVern -

Do you visit any other vBulletin forums? vB used to be widespread, but it seems to be slipping into the past. It would be good to know if another vB forum presents the same problem...that might help the developers understand what is happening. Although older, vB has been pretty stable and acceptable to apps on the internet.

Just checked—this is the only forum I hit that runs on vbulletin, FWIW.

Best,
DeVern

Your cache often leads to such inconveniences, therefore make sure that you clear it properly.

OM is accurate here, especially if there was an update to the browser. Cache and cookies are not always cleared fully when logging out, especially if the browser inadvertently interrupted or changed something related to storage of that data in the update. If you don't want to clear everything, then I'd say log out, restart the device, then manually check cookies and cache for anything related to bmwmoa.org or it's IP addresses and delete if found.

FWIW-

Duck Duck Go to start censoring……..just like all the “Big Tech”.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/11/technology/duckduckgo-russia-disinformation.html

DuckDuckGo has little control over its search results because they are provided by Microsoft’s Bing, which announced that it would follow the European Union’s order to restrict access to the Russian state news agencies RT and Sputnik.

But the criticism from the far right was directed at DuckDuckGo. The conservative website Breitbart said DuckDuckGo was “adopting the censorship policies” of Big Tech. In social media channels devoted to conspiracy theories, users vowed to switch to alternatives like the Russian search engine Yandex. The hashtag #DuckDuckGone trended across Twitter in the United States by Friday. And on YouTube, users criticized the company for silencing voices.

Apparently DDG, seeing it hooked into “Bing”, leads to more understanding of how it may be less than optimum. Add a dash of Chrome and one may expect claims of privacy be just that- claims.

Not sure of DDG’s real benefit……..and from all the recent ads, I was hopeful.
YMMV.

OM

According to one website, DDG is well at the bottom of browsers as compared to Chrome (63%), Safari (19%), Firefox (4%), etc. It's not even mention on this chart other than the "Other" category:

https://gs.statcounter.com/browser-market-share/all/worldwide/2021

Another website says the usage has been climbing from less than 1% early on to about 2.5% now.

All web designers have to figure out how to write their software to support the users across various OS and internet providers. I'm sure they try and cover all bases, but at some point they have to put their development dollars where it counts most. DDG has been getting quite the push lately. I know it's been around a while, but they seem to be flexing their muscles lately. Maybe they'll start dealing with some of the issues that keep coming up.

The DDG browser and DDG search engine are two different things…

Best,
DeVern

I’m not sure much can really be separated on the web. I purchased a Windoze 11 machine for some specific programs and can’t believe how much crap has been mixed into it. It came with a trial version of MacAfee that of course they want me to buy after the trial expires. MacAfee keeps sending me emails telling me on how many “events” they have protected the machine from…….pretty tricky as the machine has been off. :scratch

As for browsers, it came with the current Windoze browser- Microsoft Edge….apparently Chromium based? The last PC I had I went to Firefox. Just bringing up Firefox in the Edge browser triggered a scolding about changing browsers……..something in the machine was triggered from the search.

I have no idea what is best but I am aware of internet 3-Card Monte.

OM

Back