• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

NM to FL

craydds

1. Planning a ride from New Mexico to Daytona Beach, FL. Interstate I-10 all the way. Over 1700 miles. Planning on three days to get there, so approximately 600 miles/day. Tips? Advice? Stops to AVOID?

2. Looking at my MOA membership services... what is the KOA Value Card? Discounts at KOA, I presume?

THANK YOU!

Take TX46 from Boerne to Seguin to avoid San Antonio. Or at least take Loop 1604 to avoid downtown.

Your first stop is going to be somewhere around San Antonio or maybe Seguin. That means you're coming through San Antonio around rush hour. Things are going to be pretty dicey through town on the main lanes. Paul's suggestion for TX46 makes a lot of sense. But beware of deer late in the day. Expect to not make as good time on TX46 as it is mostly two-lane.

That probably puts you in a good position to get through Houston about midday the second day thus avoiding their rush hour. Don't take I-10 through New Orleans, but take I-12 and reconnect on the other side of NOLA.

Your first stop is going to be somewhere around San Antonio or maybe Seguin. That means you're coming through San Antonio around rush hour. Things are going to be pretty dicey through town on the main lanes. Paul's suggestion for TX46 makes a lot of sense. But beware of deer late in the day. Expect to not make as good time on TX46 as it is mostly two-lane.

That probably puts you in a good position to get through Houston about midday the second day thus avoiding their rush hour. Don't take I-10 through New Orleans, but take I-12 and reconnect on the other side of NOLA.
Thanks, Kurt!

The next big trouble area is Mobile's George Wallace Tunnel wear there are many of accident in this tunnel that goes under the Mobile River. For some reason there is accident daily in this tunnel. If traffic is backed up on I 10 before the tunnel exit the freeway and take the Bankhead tunnel to get across the river. Take Highway 90/Government Street to the east through the heart of Mobile. It is a residential and local business street so there are traffic lights and stop signs to contend with. Government Street will take you to the “Old Tunnel”. The other bad spot is the bridge that leads onto the Easton shore area on the other side of mobile bay that backs up in the afternoons and mornings. Many of people just take the causeway to get across mobile bay.

the next big trouble area is mobile's george wallace tunnel wear there are many of accident in this tunnel that goes under the mobile river. For some reason there is accident daily in this tunnel. If traffic is backed up on i 10 before the tunnel exit the freeway and take the bankhead tunnel to get across the river. Take highway 90/government street to the east through the heart of mobile. It is a residential and local business street so there are traffic lights and stop signs to contend with. Government street will take you to the “old tunnel”. The other bad spot is the bridge that leads onto the easton shore area on the other side of mobile bay that backs up in the afternoons and mornings. Many of people just take the causeway to get across mobile bay.
thank you!

Back