• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Luggage/Dry Bag for Traveling

88bmwjeff

SF Bay Area
I've got my first trip on my 2018 R1200 GS planned for the end of May (going to the 49er Rally). I've searched some, but it's not easy to locate. I'm curious what my options are and what others are using for luggage to pack their things. I have the Vario cases. It's just me and it's OK if they cover the rear seat and cover the tops of the Vario bags.

I've used the Wolfman dry bag on two different month long trips. These have a roll down closure system that adjusts well to varying load sizes. They also have heavy "D" rings so lashing down is a breeze.

Many, many options and price ranges out there to allow you to haul more stuff. I started out using an old duffle bag with a plastic garbage bag inside, then a kayaking/camping waterproof rolldown, and finally graduated to an Aerostich cordura dry bag.

Check out:
https://www.aerostich.com/bags

I have an assortment of dry bags that have collected over the years. Some are traditional “canoe” bags that load from one end, and I find them useful only for things like sleeping bags and pads, where the contents can be dumped all at once. Finding smaller items buried in those bags is just too much hassle.

The other bags I have are side-loaders, like the Wolfman, which I quite like. The Wolfman comes with its own tie-downs and is easy to use as a base bag and strap other bags on top, as the Wolfman has sturdy D-rings for doing so. There are numerous manufacturers making such bags but few include a tie-down system or a yellow interior, which makes it much easier to see and find things when rummaging through the bag.

Best,
DeVern

Here's my Tenere on my Alaska trip. My camping, riding gear and miscellaneous in my saddle bags and the Kathy's Journey Designs bag. All other clothing was packed in my XL Wolfman Duffel.
InkedIMG_20180611_225824_424_LI.jpg

I've been using this Ortlieb roll top duffel for 15 years and it's been great keeping all my gear dry. The new ones are much better than my old version. Orlieb makes top quality gear you can see their Moto line at Touratech.
IMG_4164_HEIC-XL.jpg

Overloaded carrying enough crap to go to work for 4 months.
IMG_4580_HEIC-XL.jpg

Thanks for everyone's response so far. It's given me some good information to do more research.

I have an additional question. That is size. Does anybody have a recommendation on size? With that said, I know it's always easier to compress a larger bag into a small dimension vs trying to stuff your items into a too small bag.

I recommend figuring out what you want to carry in said bag. For me my duffel carries my tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, Kermit chair, table if I bring it plus my down jacket and winter gloves. This duffel is the perfect size for that bundle.

Once you figure out what you want to carry go look at a few duffels in person and see what looks like the right size. New modern bags like Mosko Moto or Turkana, Orlieb make Moto oriented bags with good compression and good attachment options unlike my old bag.

IMG_1361-XL.jpg

Thanks for everyone's response so far. It's given me some good information to do more research.

I have an additional question. That is size. Does anybody have a recommendation on size? With that said, I know it's always easier to compress a larger bag into a small dimension vs trying to stuff your items into a too small bag.

Do you need to carry camping gear or just clothing?

Do you need to carry camping gear or just clothing?

Both. Sometimes, like for the upcoming 49er Rally, I will be bringing just clothes. Other times I have camped and brought the appropriate gear. So, my thought is to purchase a dry bag that could carry both. However, it appears that some end up using two dry bags, but those are probably individuals going on a long trip (time wise). I'm leaning toward a 35-40 L bag, but I'm unsure if I will be able to pack camping gear as well when I need to. Part of me is wondering if I should get a 60 L bag, but those seem awfully big. BTW, my thought is to attach it on the bike across the passenger seat and Vario side cases.

Both. Sometimes, like for the upcoming 49er Rally, I will be bringing just clothes. Other times I have camped and brought the appropriate gear. So, my thought is to purchase a dry bag that could carry both. However, it appears that some end up using two dry bags, but those are probably individuals going on a long trip (time wise). I'm leaning toward a 35-40 L bag, but I'm unsure if I will be able to pack camping gear as well when I need to. Part of me is wondering if I should get a 60 L bag. BTW, my thought is to attach it on the bike across the passenger seat and Vario side cases.

60 liters is really big and it may block your mirrors if mounted across the seat. It will also block access to your pannier latches. You could mount it lengthwise so it's part on the seat and part on the rack.
I have a 50 liter BMW Duffel and have only used it a couple times when going to a rally. It was bigger than I like.
Two bags will be easier to live with and you can keep your wet tent separate from your sleeping bag.

For bags I like ones that use a soft PVC material with welded seams like Ortlieb uses. A roll closure or waterproof wetsuit zipper along the length of the bag is better than the opening at the end if you need to get at small items.
There's other good brands other than Ortlieb but I would look for ones that use PVC with welded seams and a good closure system.

Here's pictures of the 50 liter bag mounted both ways.
IMG_203.jpg

P1000041.JPG

Last edited:
Both. Sometimes, like for the upcoming 49er Rally, I will be bringing just clothes. Other times I have camped and brought the appropriate gear. So, my thought is to purchase a dry bag that could carry both. However, it appears that some end up using two dry bags, but those are probably individuals going on a long trip (time wise). I'm leaning toward a 35-40 L bag, but I'm unsure if I will be able to pack camping gear as well when I need to. Part of me is wondering if I should get a 60 L bag, but those seem awfully big. BTW, my thought is to attach it on the bike across the passenger seat and Vario side cases.

60L is huge, and heavy for lugging into motel or campsite. You want to be able to separate wet or smelly outdoor gear—tent, chair, cooking gear, etc—from clothing and bedding. IMHO you’d be better served with two bags—20L and 30L—as that allows gear separation and flexibility for camping vs motel travel or adjusting for length of trip.

Best,
DeVern

I'm guessing mine is 30l but I could be wrong. I don't think I'd want anything bigger. Shape can be a big issue as well. Do you want longer and narrower or more square? Depends how you pack your bike. Another reason to look at as many different bags as you can.

49L Ortlieb bag: tent+gear, mattress, camping chair+table, stove, cold weather gear, summer sleeping bag, now available at Touratech

30L Dry bag with inflation/deflation valve from Amazon: sleeping bag, pillow, fleece sweater

And yes, the 49L bag is at the limit for me to carry it around.

The Vario on the left contains all my clothes, shoes, wash pouch and the right Vario all the food, water, bowl, utensils.

Took a couple of rallies to optimize the packing to reduce the amount of air I carry around. :laugh

Last edited:
I have trreaveled a fair bit over the past ten years and several motorcycles.

My "System" has evolved over time.

FB_IMG_1646686688613-XL.jpg

What works best for me is My Sleeping Bag, Tent, Sleeping Pad, ground cloth, and pillow in my Left pannier.
My bike tool roll, cooking gear, eating gear, whiskey flask, Helinox Chair, and any foodstuffs in my right pannier.
I carry light stuff including a first aid kit, tire pump and plugs, spare gloves, puffer Jacket, electric jacket liner, and water bottles in my Top Box.
Phone, Camera, Visor Cleaning Kit, Ear Plugs, Toilet Paper, etc in my Tank Bag
My clothing and toiletries in my Wolfman 30L(I think) Drybag across the pillion seat.
Any wet tent stuff in the little yellow roll-top bag atop the Drybag,
My logic is that when I camp, the Tank Bag and dry bag go into the tent and remain dry.
If I motel it, the Tank Bag and Dry Bag go into the room and everything else remains locked and secure on the bike.
It has taken me 100,000 miles and many long trips to get to this point but it works for me. YMMV

So, I’ve done a bunch of comparison and deciding what I want in a bag. I’ve decided that a yellow-colored bag would provide a bit of extra visibility. And the Touratech bags best fits that build. However, I’m having trouble deciding between the 31-liter and the 49-liter bag. I really don’t want two bags. The 31-liter bag is too small for my camping gear (my two-man tent and backpacking mattress are too long), but the 49-liter bag appears to be overkill for get aways when I’m not bringing camping gear. Based on a test of what I’d most likely bring, it seems like the 49-liter bag would be 50% full at best with no camping gear.

So, my question is….Would there be much difficulty rolling/compressing the 49-liter bag down to about 50% capacity?

Last edited:
I would keep looking at other brands for the size you think you need. I wouldn't worry so much about the colour and depending where the bag is you might not see it anyway.

Back