• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Looking for Route Suggestions

RPGR90s

Hi,

I'm traveling from southern MI to the rally via back roads. I would appreciate any suggested scenic routes/campsites/restaurants along the way in southern IN, IL and MO.

Thanks very much.....

I have a route in Basecamp that basically follows Old Route 66 from Chicago to the Rally with stops at the 2022 Coddiwomple stops and few other select Old Rt 66 highlights. Pretty much done but want to review and recheck before I share it. Created for Garmin GPS but GPX file could be used in other apps.

Mark

Hi,

I'm traveling from southern MI to the rally via back roads. I would appreciate any suggested scenic routes/campsites/restaurants along the way in southern IN, IL and MO.

Thanks very much.....

Thank You all for the great suggestions. One of the problems I always seem to have is planning out the day's ride. I have found that taking back means doing about 1/2 of the daily 600 or so miles I'm used to riding.

Then, it's trying to find a campsite.

I did find a good looking App (The Dyrt) which should help me with that.

RPGR90s

I would suggest that you slab it to Cape Girardeau MO (there is no benefit to 2 lane roads in the middle of IN/IL) and then head west from there. Lots of camping and road options west from there to Springfield.

I would suggest that you slab it to Cape Girardeau MO (there is no benefit to 2 lane roads in the middle of IN/IL) and then head west from there. Lots of camping and road options west from there to Springfield.

I like southern Illinois and Indiana :)

Thanks again everyone. I'm just going to pick my way from Cape Girardeau to Springfield. Probably stay off US60 if possible as that's a big red line on my map. :)

Stop by Big Springs state park around Van Buren,Mo & see one of the biggest freshwater springs in the world.
Good roads over in southern Illinois around Garden of the Gods down to Cave in rock state park. Take free ferry across the Ohio river into Kentucky. Head west to Cape G.

Glenlivet and I will be crossing through northern KY into IN. We've used The Dyrt several times and the plan is to use it this time to find campsites in the Shawnee and Hoosier NF. In southern IL we'll camp near Garden of the Gods, then continue west on a string of backroads running parallel to and just north of Hwy 146. The shot below shows one scenic option to the rally from Cape Girardeau, though our plan is to drop south on 19 from Alley Spring into northern Arkansas.

Screen Shot 2022-05-26 at 6.39.50 AM.png

Glenlivet and I will be crossing through northern KY into IN. We've used The Dyrt several times and the plan is to use it this time to find campsites in the Shawnee and Hoosier NF. In southern IL we'll camp near Garden of the Gods, then continue west on a string of backroads running parallel to and just north of Hwy 146. The shot below shows one scenic option to the rally from Cape Girardeau, though our plan is to drop south on 19 from Alley Spring into northern Arkansas.

View attachment 87978

Thanks Pete ... may use some of that for my return route. We had planned on looping up through Canada but since the original discussion with my group a few need to be home within about 4 days for the Rally end on Sunday so the Canada loop is out. Everyone is headed east with 2 guys headed back to Toronto area. Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to meeting you ... well really looking forward to meeting glenfiddich. Have to remember to bring some of our niece's homemade all natural dog treats.

View attachment 87978

If you are camping at Alley Springs check out the large fresh water spring by the old red mill. You can see the water coming out of ground. It will not disappoint C47ACF46-C2EA-4EA6-93F5-3D1548254D33.jpgC47ACF46-C2EA-4EA6-93F5-3D1548254D33.jpg

If you are camping at Alley Springs check out the large fresh water spring by the old red mill.

Thanks for the reminder. I forgot about that spring. We're planning to go west from Eminence and will go right by it. I saved it in my GPS and marked it on the paper map so we don't forget to stop there.
We'll come down from Hermann, Mo on 19 that day.

Posted earlier, starts at a really nice campground SW of STL.

<iframe src="https://ridewithgps.com/embeds?type=route&id=38876253&sampleGraph=true" style="width: 1px; min-width: 100%; height: 900px; border: none;" scrolling="no"></iframe>

Back