• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2015 K1600gtl question on rear dampening

brownie0486

The bike has esa, but it also has a black cylinder at left side seat that can be adjusted manually.

With esa, does the manual cylinder described need to be set in a certain way for esa to work properly [ through the electronics ]. If it needs to be adjusted for esa to work properly, what's the setting I'd turn it to?

I'm not familiar with this manual setting device for rear suspension with an esa system.

Thoughts?

I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy the bike this next week, and reading the manual, the above was a little confusing to me.

Thanks in advance, btw, it's got 35K on it, runs like a top, just went through it's 36K service.

Hola Brownie!

I don’t have an answer to your query {but I look forward to the answer to your question.}

FWIW, I just hope your new Beemer has received the authentic 36K service (because these bikes get $$$ service every 18K).

Of course the cheapest thing on any BMW is the NUT holding the handlebars... :brow

Hope U enjoy your GTL as much as I like my GT. :thumb

Be sure not to miss this year’s MOA International Rally in Missouri.
MOA is turning 50, so I’m sure it’ll be a Really Big Shoe!
https://rally.bmwmoa.org

Hope you’re able to spend some vacation time at the Ozark Empire Fairgrounds in Springfield!

Keep control of that Throttle - there’s a whole lotta getty-up-&-go under your saddle!
I got a ticket, by photo-surprise, just wandering home from my MD state vehicle inspection (needed for licensing)... :dunno

Have some fun getting to know your newest Beemer this summer [Spring arrives in only 2 weeks]!

Happy Trails whenever U can - Ciao!
HSV-Karen & HSV-Phil
USN-Ret'd —-&-— USAF-Ret’d

'09 650GS-twin — '14 K-GT
'82 R100CS ——— '75 R90S
'16 R1200RS —-— ’05 Vespa 200L
:beer

It's possible that the bike you are considering may not have the optional ESA. The owner's manual (available here) shows on page 73 that the standard manual preload adjuster is on the left side.

Another possibility is that the ESA shock was replaced with an aftermarket shock with manual preload adjustment. Damping may or may not be electrically adjustable, depending on the shock. The spring may also have been changed to better suit a rider who did not weigh BMW's "standard" 170 pounds.

Ask the seller.

Back