• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1971 R75/5 SWB Seat Refurbishment

VIEJO

Hola All,

I am in the process of refurbishing the seat on my '71 R75/7 SWB and I'm wondering if anyone has a source for the seat foam, or a good seat re-builder for that matter. I have spoken with the good folks at boxer2valve and their source has been back-ordered since shortly after the last ice age...... with no signs of relief on the horizon. I have a new BMW seat cover (sourced from Bob's BMW), side rails, trim/fasteners, and my seat pan is in remarkably good condition for its age. Any & all guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Mil Gracias,

Viejo

Foam

Well, to be honest, I had the seat on my 78 RS recovered after an accident at a local car seat shop. I had a new cover I sourced from Flat Racer in the UK, (a BMW solo seat) and the shop was able to cut foam they had on hand to fit. I would never know it is not the "stock" foam in the seat.

If not a car shop, I bet you could find a custom motorcycle seat shop that would do it for you.

The hard part getting the cover right and you have taken care of that by buying the proper cover and stuff to go with it. Just be sure the guy doing the work has a good idea as to how things go together. Good luck. St.

Well, to be honest, I had the seat on my 78 RS recovered after an accident at a local car seat shop. I had a new cover I sourced from Flat Racer in the UK, (a BMW solo seat) and the shop was able to cut foam they had on hand to fit. I would never know it is not the "stock" foam in the seat.

If not a car shop, I bet you could find a custom motorcycle seat shop that would do it for you.

The hard part getting the cover right and you have taken care of that by buying the proper cover and stuff to go with it. Just be sure the guy doing the work has a good idea as to how things go together. Good luck. St.

Thanks, Steve..... the only shop I've talked to (so far) wasn't interested in building a custom foam for my seat cover- they wanted to build both the foam and the cover. The search continues. Viejo

Lucky

I am lucky, I live near a city with multiple seat cover companies as well as a few custom bike shops. Good luck with the search. St.

Foam and Seat Cover

Thanks, Steve..... the only shop I've talked to (so far) wasn't interested in building a custom foam for my seat cover- they wanted to build both the foam and the cover. The search continues. Viejo

Hola Viejo
Last year I bought the foam and seat cover from flatracer also. Very happy with both. I went to their website and I didn't see where they have any items listed for sale currently though.

Thanks!

Hola All,

Thanks for all the good input on this question!

What I'm finding with most upholstery shops is that they all want to do the foam first and then make the cover to fit the foam rather than build the foam to fit the existing (new)cover. I have a lead on a shop near me in Central Texas where the upholsterer is reputed to be capable of doing everything that nobody else wants to do..... my kind of shop. As soon as I get the pan back from the powder-coaters I'll give him a visit.

The reproduction seats on eBay are interesting.... until you get to the shipping charges:nono.

As a back-up plan I'm also on the notification list from Siebenrock in case they ever have the replacement foam or repro seats available again although I don't hold out much hope for that.

Once again, thanks to everyone.

Viejo

Hi, I just re-covered my /5 seat. My foam was useable - I did a fair amt of research before got a seat cover from Siebenrock. It fit great, was closest match to original and went on without a hitch. I see they also have new foam...C

A trick to bring new life into foam is to steam it with one of those steamers used in sewing, learned this in an upholstery class I once took.

Have you tried Sargent? They do make nice seats and refurbish old ones.

The seat on my '72 R 75/5 was replaced by a Sargent (by the previous owner) and it is a great seat. I have the original seat which is in great shape, but I think the Sargent is possibly more comfortable, and it looks very much like the original. It has been 48 years since I sat on an original seat (I owned a '72 R 75/5 back then too), so I don't remember what it's comfort level was, but I expect it was pretty good. With the smaller toaster tank gas stops were more frequent anyway. I don't know if it would be worth trying to send my old seat to Texas as I am on the east coast of Canada and would probably cost more than is feasible.

Back