• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Impressed with OEM Battery

grabcon

My wife's 2014 F700GS has been have starting issues lately. She bought the bike about 4 years ago and I never really looked at the battery, just because it worked. Well lately that story has changed. I pulled the battery today and found that it was the original OEM battery with a 2013 date. I was very surprised that it was the original battery.

Just as a reference for some, I do not use a battery tender when the bikes are not in use. We pretty much just ride them. It may be a few days it may be a couple of months. I have always operated this way, and if I went too long and the battery needed some help I would just through a charger on it and away we would go.

Grabcon,

You must have gotten one from the good batch.

My wife’s 2014 F700GS went through it’s first battery in 8 months. It was being ridden weekly. There was no external drain. It had a bad cell that was draining .1-.2V per day when on the bench. Replaced under warranty. Next one lasted 6 months. Same problem. Replaced under warranty. Third one is still in there working fine. (I must have gotten one from your batch). No work was done to the bike. I did a carry in with the batteries.

My biggest complaint is the physical size of the battery box. If they had only made it 1/4” bigger, I could have replaced it with any number of much higher capacity, more readily available, and less expensive aftermarket batteries. Instead, you almost have to go to a dealer to find a battery that will fit in stock. But BMW does not design for simplicity or convenience.

:dance:dance:dance

We will see what happens. I picked up a Duralast Gold ETX14 AGM 220 CCA. a 106 bucks. Got it at AutoZone. I was in a bind so that's who had one the was near by. It fit perfect, direct replacement.

I get the great battery warranty 90 days.

Back