• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

$$$$. Fuel

Even at $5/gal, taking the bike out for a ride is the most economical mental health therapy around...

Which explains perfectly why I ride.

The weather and the daylight hours are not quite where they need to be yet for me to commute on the scoot, but both are improving. Sometime around Easter I expect to be on it several times weekly for the daily drive.

RE, the main topic: I paid $3.80 for the E87 regular at the local Chevron when I filled up last Friday. I anticipate it will be up by another $0.25 per gallon by the time I refuel at the end of this week.

Reports are the average price in Mass is $4.16 for regular gas. Watching a boating show it makes me wonder what the “dock” price will be this boating season.
OM

cheapest gas I could find yesterday was $4.03 here in N FL. station cut me off at $100. I waited too late to fill my cans. could have saved some $ if I filled up yesterday. seems to be going up .25 a day. We also have fires here in bay county. It's been dry and we have tons of dead pine trees on the ground from the cat 5 hurricane that hit 3 years ago. Lucky for me, the fires are North of me and the wind is blowing from the south. Supposed to get rain tomorrow, so hopefully fires will get a good drenching.

Fuel for the FARM LEFT OUT OF INFLATION EQUATION

With an RV that gets 7 MPG when pulling a toad and 9 solo, activities with it might be limited. The good/bad thing with it is that it has a 100 gallon tank to fill. On one hand I am limited to how far I will travel for just getting out of here for extended days; but on the other, it surely is a bank to fill it up now and have the fuel to go already in the bank. lol....enough to get to the National and back for sure.

Then the real problem is fuel for the 2 tractors and Kubota RTV utility vehicle that is used daily. All of these are actually used daily for chores and MUST do work here on the farm. Just, yesterday, mixed up another gallon of gas and 2 cycle oil to run blowers, chain saws, little tiller, and other tools used daily. The need for fuel for ag purposes is BEING IGNORED.

Cost of food is going to rise with however long this program of forced rise in prices is continued. It is under control of forces that decide these things. Far beyond me. I just have to cope with what will be happening. This program of getting rid of petroleum based energy NOW, for me, is a bit to soon, Instead of letting this energy evolve as it should and could into what is now alternative energy, wind, solar, and electric. Petroleum in 30 years could be the alternative. The program in effect is forcing the issue now.

Yes, I have 2 E bikes to get to town and around, and of course those 2 hay munchers down in the pasture are there for sure also.

My problem today, is getting the diesel cans loaded in the RV and heading down to the truck stop to fill up. Money in the bank, ya know!!!!

God bless this USA

Looks like it took another jump today.
$3.59 for regular and $4.29 for diesel.

A couple days ago regular went up to $3.75.
The $3.75 only lasted two days.
Today it's $3.89

Last edited:
Spring is here, paid $4.14 today for fuel in WV. So enjoying the scenery and eating at Taco _ell. Picnics sounding more likely beside the bike, singing birds and spring peepers.

Guess we'll just have to put more mileage on our bikes for now.

I made a 300 mile round trip to Surf City NC today and the best price was $3.999 for regular and $4.599 for ethanol free premium at a GoGas station in Surf City. Everywhere else was a minimum of $4.059 to 4.299 for regular. It looks like $4+ for the near future is the new normal in NC.

Doug

In Spartanburg, SC it hit $3.99 for regular, $3.49 Premium and $4.99 for diesel today. If this keeps up I might have to scale back vacation plans for this year. But then again, it might not be a bad time to load up the GS and spend a couple weeks fly-fishing in the NC mountains.

The American public is horribly fickle. For several months we have heard a lot about inflation. But when it comes to the price of a gallon of regular grade gasoline we seem to have forgotten inflation. The previous "record" national average price was $4.11 per gallon in 2008. So this week when it hit $4.12 we wailed and moaned about the new record.

But that $4.11 price in 2008 when adjusted for the inflation which has occurred between 2008 and 2021 would be at least $5.25 or up to $5.37 depending on which inflation index is used. So we are not really experiencing the most expensive gas ever. They (whomever they are) just want us to think so. I refuse.

Last edited:
If I am paying more, I am paying more. I remember back in the early 70’s I was paying less. I find fuzzy math and statistics skip the now. 🤑🤑
OM

Furnace oil going up another 12¢, diesel going up another 20¢ and gas going up another 7¢. Not going to get better before it gets worse. Let the weather warm up so I'm not using my furnace as much.

This whole oil debacle would easily be solved if the oil speculators actually had to take physical delivery of the oil they speculate on... Those ULCC aren't exactly cheap to lease.....:deal

The American public is horribly fickle. For several months we have heard a lot about inflation. But when it comes to the price of a gallon of regular grade gasoline we seem to have forgotten inflation. The previous "record" national average price was $4.11 per gallon in 2008. So this week when it hit $4.12 we wailed and moaned about the new record.

But that $4.11 price in 2008 when adjusted for the inflation which has occurred between 2008 and 2021 would be at least $5.25 or up to $5.37 depending on which inflation index is used. So we are not really experiencing the most expensive gas ever. They (whomever they are) just want us to think so. I refuse.

Always looking on the bright side huh? So they were a few days early.

Not the bright side. I don't like $4 gas anymore than the next guy. But I do like honesty. Facts matter.
Not to those guys.
You raise one common tactic- among a bunch of statistical fallacies used for drama or bias. Impact of inflation, number vs percent when comparing, leading poll questions then re-wording the question when reporting the poll. The best I hope for is a vague idea of what a fact MIGHT be gleaned from a multitude of sources across a spectrum of biases. I have no idea if actual journalism was ever "alive" but for sure it's dead now.

And the fact of the matter is this first world problem of ours seems trivial in the light of true suffering by others elsewhere.

Agreed that to US it's a first world problem; "us" being BMW forum members. But to the working poor and people on the economic edge, the prohibitive cost of food and fuel could legitimately be described as suffering. Compared to being shot or bombed? No, but that relativism only rings true so much and is small consolation to the guy trying to feed his family and get to work. Nevertheless, your point is taken as was the "inflation factor"as is the real unnecessity of this entire situation.

Back