Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: $$$$. Fuel

No reasons for long gas lines, super high prices, coupons, rationing, alternate day fill ups, all the suffering for lack of fuel. What was it
    1 1/2 -2 years ago? Buck fifty a gallon. North America has so much oil, natural gas, coal to fuel all our needs and probably the needs of all our Allies and friendly countries needs. Open the pipe lines, allow fracking, open the leasing of federal lands and waters to exploration and extraction of fossil fuels. It seems like every time we here we are running out of these fossil fuels, we find more than we ever knew we had. Yes, there will be a time when we transition to some other form of even cleaner energy. Iím all for that; but we ainít there yet. Ok, Iíll sit back and take the pounding thatís coming my way. Barry

SF Bay Area $5.50 for regular and $5.80 for premium. I think we'll see $6.00 plus before the summer.

As with many things, people panic when the perceived risk goes up. The war in Ukraine and the west not buying Russian oil, and people are panicking. Prices skyrocket up and take forever to float back down, since the demand for gas/oil is inelastic. There's much of the world that needs oil that's not aligned with us and Western Europe that will buy from Russia. I believe the supply will be there.
    Jeff in W.C.
    1988 R100 RT (the other woman)
    2018 R1200 GS
    "I got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer

Quote Originally Posted by 88bmwjeff View Post
    I think we'll see $6.00 plus before the summer
    Summer is early
    $6.20 gal. For premium in Orange Co.
    Carl S.
    BMWMOA #11500

Quote Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
    Welcome to supply and demand based economics.

You can blame Vlad.
    Quote Originally Posted by patm View Post
    There's always a reason or an excuse. Fuel prices increase because they can.
    Spot prices like the Brent or WTI are indicators, in reality most of the crude oil and gas are bought with long term contracts.
    Pump prices shouldn't increase just because the day's indicators went up.

Edit: Regular went up to $2.01 in Fermont yesterday.
    I think Kbasa is on to something here, and Vlad has a good bit to do with it.

E.

It is more complicated than simple. The U.S, is a net exporter of oil, but we import lots of oil from several countries too. But we export more than we import. I can't even pretend to understand the economics and logistics of which oil goes where from where, and which oil comes here from where. But not buying Russian oil would not do much to our oil supply. We might export a little less than otherwise. It seems somebody in this country can buy Russian oil shipped here for less than we get for US oil exported elsewhere.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    It is more complicated than simple. The U.S, is a net exporter of oil, but we import lots of oil from several countries too. But we export more than we import. I can't even pretend to understand the economics and logistics of which oil goes where from where, and which oil comes here from where. But not buying Russian oil would not do much to our oil supply. We might export a little less than otherwise. It seems somebody in this country can buy Russian oil shipped here for less than we get for US oil exported elsewhere.
    Todayís economics are complicated. I often look at something that I purchased and realize that I couldnít ship it back to where it was manufactured for the price I just paid.
    Many automobile dealerships are charging ďover listĒ for their vehicles- ADM (additional dealer markup). I like to remember who has been reasonable and fair during trying times.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

For regular fuel its $1.83.9/ liter here in Welland, ON.

They say it could hit as high as $2.00/ liter like in BC.
    Ambassador Emeritus BMW MOA Ontario Canada
    Niagara Riders
    Knights of the Roundel #333
    1977 R100RS, (Retired) 1993 R100GS

RK Ryder
    $1.839 / litre for regular, $200.9 for premium (ethanol free) here in London, Ontario.

Riding the bikes is certainly going to be more economical than driving our car but still mighty pricey!
    Paul F. Ruffell
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Its hit us too down in New Zealand. We did a big ride yesterday and price all over the north island were around $3.05 NZD/litre for 91/regular ...which is around $2.10 USD/litre or $7.95/gallon. Premium fuel is another 10% on top of that. No idea what it will go to here seeing as we are at the **** end of the world! we import all our petroleum I think. its going to get interesting!
    Our grocery bills have also gone through the roof over the past 12 months, and for the farm our fertiliser, feed costs are up 200% ...crazy times

re: where it comes from and where it goes -
    There are several refineries around here, but I think that only a very few of them actually sell gasoline to the local stations (Shell, maybe Chevron, maybe "USA" gasoline).
    There are also a few "tank" fields, huge storage areas of what is pulled from the ground (and ocean) around here; I've heard several times (but never bothered to confirm) that what is stored there is not made into gasoline for the locals, but is converted to aviation fuel.

I spoke too soon. Local Diesel is $4.90 today. Guess things just take longer to hit New Hampshire. My propane tanks are full until January 2023 (I only get one delivery a year) so it's just fuel costs. BJ's Diesel was $4.40 so I filled up today. I don't drive much in the Winter so hopefully my 900 mile tank will get me by long enough for prices to drop again.
    Social Media, Newsletter, YouTube | BMWMOA Lifetime Member | MOA Board Secretary | MOA Regional Coordinator | Vermont BMW Club Vice President

Prices have yet to deter riders. I've seen about 4 riders in the past week, but 75f yesterday and I'm sick of "the wave" already. $4.15/gal, so will be scrimping somewhere, more roadside picnics, less dining.

Quote Originally Posted by ramble View Post
    Prices have yet to deter riders. I've seen about 4 riders in the past week, but 75f yesterday and I'm sick of "the wave" already. $4.15/gal, so will be scrimping somewhere, more roadside picnics, less dining.
    It is "spring break" time down here in the Texas Big Bend and Big Bend National Park. The big class A camper buses towing full size pickups or jeeps or trailers with motorcycles just keep rolling past. ( Little cars with kayaks too ). Some of these big camper rigs are approaching 90 cents a mile in fuel costs but that doesn't seem to be keeping folks away. I guess if you can afford a few hundred thousand dollars for a camper and big toad, fuel costs don't register much on the household budget. Unless of course it is all on credit and then time will take its toll. I fully expect to see $5 gasoline and $6 diesel here in Texas before prices turn back downward. But it still beats long lines, ration books, and flag draped coffins.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Right ya are on the long lines and rations. Had to drive to PA in the 70's for classes and carried 5 gal cans in the trunk. Started saving long before, and it payed off. Still living off savings, comfortably, but then no motor home pulling something else. Home has footings and grin at those on wheels. Told a youngster painting our barn last year about savings and mentioned "inflation", he just gave me a stare???? Took a pic of a gas price sign 3 years ago, $1.99, thinking I'll never see that again. Lots of two wheel riding coming up.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Maybe we will see more gasoline storage solutions?

85AF47CD-2E3D-47BF-B008-79A3FA7FCC0F.jpeg

OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200