• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Can't upload photos

motormike

When I select the photo, it shows the link in the box, but when I click on the "Upload files" nothing ever happens. Simple Jpeg stuff. I've tried two different browsers incase it was a browser support issue, no change.

Well, it worked that time, sort of. The picture posted sideways from the original! :doh See the "oil leak" thread I started under the Flying Brick sub-section.

Well, it worked that time, sort of. The picture posted sideways from the original! :doh See the "oil leak" thread I started under the Flying Brick sub-section.

If you are using an iPhone, pictures taken with the phone upright will load (into the forum) “sideways”.

If you can remember to hold the iPhone in landscape- camera lens upper left, it seems to solve the problem.

Keep trying ;)

OM

That's part of why I use SmugMug, it's a pay site but with over 15K pics up I feel pretty secure about the safety of my pics. Also by having them on my own account and sharing the pics onto forums I still own all of my photos.

That's part of why I use SmugMug, it's a pay site but with over 15K pics up I feel pretty secure about the safety of my pics. Also by having them on my own account and sharing the pics onto forums I still own all of my photos.

Technical or photos that are intended to really help or explain a problem are best hosted on the forum as they will be available to help or explain as long as the forum is here.
This keeps them independent of a photo hosting site that will be discontinued by the hosting site’s user leaving a lot of narrative with no pictures.
OM

Technical or photos that are intended to really help or explain a problem are best hosted on the forum as they will be available to help or explain as long as the forum is here.
This keeps them independent of a photo hosting site that will be discontinued by the hosting site’s user leaving a lot of narrative with no pictures.
OM

I agree, but inserting a picture From a URL with the "Retrieve remote file and reference locally" box checked has been broken for quite a long time. This means a picture either has to be hosted elsewhere or we need to take the extra steps to transfer it to our PC/device and then upload it. "Retrieve" used to work, but I think there is a configuration problem with the software or the forum server. The problem has been reported several times but there is no interest in fixing it.

Really makes me appreciate other forums with newer software that allow inserting images with copy/paste. So much easier to snip a portion of my screen, paste it, post it.

I agree, but inserting a picture From a URL with the "Retrieve remote file and reference locally" box checked has been broken for quite a long time. This means a picture either has to be hosted elsewhere or we need to take the extra steps to transfer it to our PC/device and then upload it. "Retrieve" used to work, but I think there is a configuration problem with the software or the forum server. The problem has been reported several times but there is no interest in fixing it.

Really makes me appreciate other forums with newer software that allow inserting images with copy/paste. So much easier to snip a portion of my screen, paste it, post it.

As far as I know, your post is the only one I have seen emphasizing the issue. For those taking pictures of a problem or a DIY that they wish to post on the problem just upload them directly.
How long ago did this “retrieve” deal stop functioning?
OM

As far as I know, your post is the only one I have seen emphasizing the issue. For those taking pictures of a problem or a DIY that they wish to post on the problem just upload them directly.
How long ago did this “retrieve” deal stop functioning?
OM

I think I first encountered the problem in the spring of 2020. I think I assumed it was a temporary glitch and worked around it for a time before asking about it. The thread I linked earlier was a couple months after I first noticed the issue.

Today I tried "Retrieve" again, using URLs from my Flickr account, a SmugMug account, and an Amazon link. All generate the temporary file error, though they have worked in the (now distant) past.

I think I first encountered the problem in the spring of 2020. I think I assumed it was a temporary glitch and worked around it for a time before asking about it. The thread I linked earlier was a couple months after I first noticed the issue.

Today I tried "Retrieve" again, using URLs from my Flickr account, a SmugMug account, and an Amazon link. All generate the temporary file error, though they have worked in the (now distant) past.

I had to go looking for the procedure you are having trouble with…… I have never used it and don’t think I have ever given it a thought. I tried a test post and your method didn’t work for me either.
It probably was just in my mindset that if it was important, just making sure it was “attached” to the forum was important.
Usually if I am on a full-size computer I will type in the embed code as I go to “hot link” a photo in. From a mobile device, I will use an icon.
Being a while ago, I don’t know if something changed during a software upgrade. Perhaps Kurt or I can look around in the back room and see if there are any clues on this topic.
It would also be good to hear if the other forums you are not having this problem with are running VBULLETIN and the release number. I suspect it won’t matter much as your hosting sites were rejected.
OM

It's been broken for a long time for me too. As for remote hosting I can talk the same about any photo and it stays where I post it as long as I don't change it's location in my galleries. As I said if you remote host it you still own it. If you just upload it from your computer the forum owns it. This has been a topic of discussion recently surrounding the sale of ADVrider to Vertical Solutions and there is a lot of trepidation to where that forum is going to go.

This issue with the "Retrieve remote file..." box/option came up a few years ago. Ted Moyer even weighed in. Have a look at this thread and see if there's any similarity to the current issue:

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?97915-pics-not-loading

It's the exact same retrieval issue.
That thread was in June, 2020, and I think that was several weeks after the problem started.

I think Kurt's post in that thread has a clue:
(Emphasis is mine)
skibum -

I'm not sure that I can help as I typically don't use my online account for my pictures...I typically just upload the images. I just tried posting something from my flickr account into a forum test area and it worked just fine. I believe there's a certain method that each of these sites has to display pictures...hopefully that hasn't changed. Maybe someone with a Smugmug account can check this out. About a month ago, the forums were moved to another server for better performance, etc. If another Smugmug owner has similar problems, then it might be that would a pattern which needs looking into.

Can you narrow down when this problem first showed up?

I suspect a setting in the forum software is referencing an invalid file location for temporary files, a location that is not present on the newer servers.

Larry -

In that same thread I linked to of the older issue, Ted went through steps on getting images posted from a smugmug account. After others tried what Ted posted, the problem seemed to be solved.

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?97915-pics-not-loading&p=1210535&viewfull=1#post1210535

Since I really don't follow this type of posting, has the problem resurfaced? As far as I know, nothing dramatic has changed with the MOA or servers. We did have a major east coast outage on January 26, 2021, but I don't remember what the issue was then and what was done to fix it.

Ted's method works to get a picture posted, IF you are using a hosting site that can generate the all the necessary embedding codes.
But the very first step is to UN-check the Retrieve box, so it's a work-around, not a fix. Still can't use a simple URL.

Appreciate that. As I said, I'm not familiar with all that stuff. But that said, if there's a way to get things done, albeit an extra step or so, I'm not sure it's enough to elevate the concern. If it's outright broken, then that would warrant some fix. Not sure there's much else that can be done at this point. We're using an "out of the box" version of vBulletin. While there are "hacks" or additional coding that address some things, opening our software up to potential security problems and creating issues for future upgrades, I don't think we'd be going down paths like that.

This version went EOL in 2017 I believe. Just how long do you think you can keep ignoring the need to upgrade or move to a different solution? IMHO it only gets harder the longer you wait.

This version went EOL in 2017 I believe. Just how long do you think the office can keep ignoring the need to upgrade or move to a different solution? IMHO it only gets harder the longer you wait.
FTFY
It is not up to the Moderator Team.
OM

Back