• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1992 K75S Coolant Leak

dwfk75

dwfk75
Doing winter maintenance, I drained the oil, removed the oil pan for cleaning and removed the oil filter. The next day there was a small puddle of coolant under the engine. It's not coming from the weep hole but from up above where the oil filter screws on. Can't see where it's coming from. Water/oil pump, head gasket?

Attachments

• IMG_4897.jpg
    IMG_4897.jpg
    325.2 KB · Views: 283
After some investigation, where the crankcase lower section bolts to the block is an o-ring for the water passage. I believe this o-ring has failed. It's right where the leak is coming from. I can't see anywhere else it could be coming from. Will be taking it apart and replace it.

Thanks for sharing that observation. I didn’t know about that o ring and I wonder how many of us k75 owners have such a leak but don’t know it. Was there any evidence in the oil that drained out (like a milky color)? I would be interested to know how it goes with the O ring replacement.

I really didn't notice any coolant in the oil when it was drained. I've had the bike for 13 years and do oil and filter changes every year. Every couple of years I pull the oil pan off for cleaning and inspection. Never saw this before. If I hadn't left the oil pan off overnight I would have never known it was leaking. Almost ready to take things apart, had some other projects to do like getting my F650GS ready for the season. After it's apart I'll post some pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_4977.jpg
    IMG_4977.jpg
    372.6 KB · Views: 226
Thanks for the info, I was planning on removing the pan for cleaning it. Just got this 35 years old K75S for a couple of months and I'm in a total ground up restoration.

Also restoring a 1989 K75C that I've also got for a couple of month too. Why two K75 ? Long story...

You have a really neat setup to work on the K75 and what looks to be a very nice blue K75, but we all know the red ones are faster :nyah !

Take care !

Ignace

PS Pictures of the K's as of march 2022

Attachments

• K75S Mars 2022.jpg
    K75S Mars 2022.jpg
    426.4 KB · Views: 208
  • K75 mars 2022.jpg
    K75 mars 2022.jpg
    384.2 KB · Views: 209
Update on coolant leak. Got everything taken apart, all this for a o-ring. Now to put it all back together.

Attachments

• IMG_5087.jpg
    IMG_5087.jpg
    332.1 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_5085.jpg
    IMG_5085.jpg
    307.4 KB · Views: 172
Thanks for the update and the pics….looks like you’re doing some really good work there. Can that O-ring be accessed by “just” removing the oil pan?

To remove the oil pan, the transmission has to be removed to get at bolts. For me, removing everything and flipping the engine over makes working on it easier. I made a wooden jig on a dolly for the engine and trans.IMG_5034.jpgIMG_5064.jpg

:thumb
I like seeing someone tear into a pretty complicated repair and figure it out.
OM

Update

After a summer of many projects, finally got "Big Blue" back together and running well. What a learning experience. Nice to have it back on the road.

Attachments

• IMG_5623.jpg
    IMG_5623.jpg
    389.4 KB · Views: 79
Back