• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2022 Ride Planning - Who's Riding Where - What else are you doing?

bigjohnsd

'21 R1250 GS Adv
I hope to ride more and hunt a bit more in "22 but having just spent "Big Buck$" on a new motorcycle I plan to ride the heck out of it.
20220130_110952%20Out%20and%20About%20in%20January-XL.jpg

The first trip at the end of this month is a Combo - Red fishing and motorcycle ride with my buddy HPpants from Lafayette LA to the FJR Florida Winter Gathering in Crystal River FL for a few days and then back. Due to the potential exigencies of winter, I'll trailer to Lafayette, I've been caught trying to make the ride from Lafayette to Spearfish in March once before. Three days in a crappy motel waiting for the roads to clear......

My first hunt will be the last week in March when I take my new pup "Bo" over to a nearby preserve and let him mess with a few chukars and a few pheasants. He is coming along pretty good with his basic obedience, Sit, Come are known but not yet reliable, he's a puppy! When the gun goes off he is looking for something to fall from the sky. The birds and the dummies are still "His" but we will overcome that.

Early April - another motorcycle trip - Abercrombie FJR and I will trailer to Phoenix, stopping along the way to pick up Kip Walker, meet up with SkooterG, and head to Douglas AZ where we will meet up with FrankieD and Mark Bauer. Then the six of us are riding down into Mexico to the Copper Canyon - Google "Batopillas" and "Urique" to see some of the remote places we are headed. Five GS/GSA's and one S10 Yamaha.

After Copper Canyon, I'll head back to Phoenix, change my tires and then head West to Oxnard CA, then ride all the way up CA 1 until it joins US 101 way North, then North to Tacoma WA for a reunion of the Wardroom of the USS Joseph Strauss (DDG-16), a ship I served in from 1980-1983. The officers of that "vintage" try to get together every five years or so. I've ridden CA-1 from North to South several times but I've not ridden it South to North.

From Tacoma, I'll ride home arriving around the first of May just in time to fish a little Walleye.

In mid-June, I'll "Saddle Up" again and ride west and north with AKBeemer and his "Spousal Unit" to Dawson City, YT for the "Dust to Dawson" gathering. We plan on riding up the Cassiar and returning via the ALCAN. We plan on stopping in Hyder AK along the way up and spending a night at the Liard Hot Springs on the way back. We will camp if the weather is good and motel or cabin it when wet.

If you want to learn a little about this event check out this link Dust to Dawson - the History is in the first post here- this will be the 28th year. They had to skip 2020 and 2021 due to COVID restrictions.

I plan on being home in July, my local Lions Club has several fundraisers that I want to work in.

August will see SWMBO and I flee the hordes of people attending the annual Sturgis Motorcycle Rally. We usually head for the Bighorns where it is cool, quiet, and peaceful. I might try and catch a trout or two while we are there.

September brings a little more motorcycle riding - An eclectic group will gather in LaPine, OR over Labor Day weekend one last time for "Ray's Last Hurrah", a tribute to a larger-than-life motorcyclist and friend who recently passed.

I plan on being home by September 15th and hope to hunt some Sharp Tail and Prairie Chickens on the Fort Pierre National Grasslands and then a few Ruffed Grouse in the Black Hills before Duck season opens the last weekend in September.
Resident Only Pheasant season for certain is the second weekend in October and then hopefully several weeks of our "real" Pheasant season in October and November.

It looks like a full year for me!

What about you?

Bikeweek next month... then March Moto Madness Worldwide.

This summer: Norway, Pyrenees, Slovenia, Croatia... I am not sure which... but one of those destinations unless Radioflyer disapproves! :ha

Will go to the MOA rally with my Honda in the back of the van.

RA rally is 10 minutes from my house, will probably host another GS Giants party on my back deck.

I am done with big cross-continent rides... done it too many times and no longer own big heavy highway bikes. There are endless twisties all around my home, and Virginia/West Virginia are not far away.

Somewhere in there I need to get my G/SPD+ refurbish done... it's been 95% of the way for about two years... and thinking about cleaning up my Trail90 and selling it on Bring A Trailer before the market collapses.

IMG_3102-X3.jpg

CT90-XL.jpg

Planning a trip down the Trans Taiga for September 1 departure. Also looking at doing a run across the T'Railway earlier in the summer hopefully adding a logging road run across about 2/3's of the island. We'll see what shakes down.

After coming in a distant 18/19th place in the CoddiWomple v.1, we’ll be participating in a leisurely manner in 2022.

Did Fort Walton Beach Getaway last weekend... :thumb

Headed to the Fontana Getaway in April;
doing the GA Mountain BMW Rally in May;
headed to Springfield National in June; then backtracking northwards along Route 66 toward Chicago.

T’would be nice to attend the Finger Lakes Rally at Labor Day {if it occurs};
lastly, headed to So Cal in the Autumn with many stops on Route 66 going west and then returning...

Nothing very spectacular for Team-HSV in ’22.
Alaska was accomplished in ’21 (t’was high on my Bucket List)!

One of these days, when easier to fly Space-A, we’ll certify our 50th state by renting & riding in HI {visiting the USS Arizona Memorial}...
Happy Trails, ladies & gents!
:wave

Ciao!
HSV-Karen & HSV-Phil
USN-Ret'd —&— USAF-Ret’d

'09 650GS-twin — '14 K-GT
'82 R100CS ——— '75 R90S
'16 R1200RS —-— ’05 Vespa 200L
:bliss

We just got 8" of snow yesterday and it is currently about 8 degrees.

Two days ago it was close to 60.

I just can't wait to ride my R80ST anywhere at this point!

SPP

April Texas Hill Country 16 day?
June BMW MOA National Rally in Springfield Missouri. We'll do a few days in Arkansas before or after the National 8 days?
July Colorado 12 days?
Aug Kentucky 10 days?
Sep Mackinac Island Michigan (bicycles) 8 days?
Oct Arkansas 7 days?

Oct 26 2021 (1).jpg

April Texas Hill Country 16 day?
June BMW MOA National Rally in Springfield Missouri. We'll do a few days in Arkansas before or after the National 8 days?
July Colorado 12 days?
Aug Kentucky 10 days?
Sep Mackinac Island Michigan (bicycles) 8 days?
Oct Arkansas 7 days?

View attachment 86962

That is doing it right!

Wow you guys really rack up miles. I was planning on a 3 day adventure ride with BMWRO in Ochoco mountains Memorial Day. John Day rally on my 79 R100rs, converted to S for another 3 days in June, followed by the Cascade rally first week of July for a week on my 18 RT. Then??

• Mid April, Ride the Urals in Yellowstone NP while there are few people there
  • 8-23 June, Dawson City, YT, for D2D
  • 6-11 July, Nakusp, BC for the Bee Cee Beemers' Rally
  • 17-21 August, Red Lodge, MT for the Beartooth Rendezvous
  • 10-18 September, meander around Idaho

Last edited:
After last year's six week 11,000 mile joy ride the Honeydew List is epic, so likely Glenlivet and I will only have one shot at adventure this year. We plan on joining our MOA family in Missouri via our usual circuitous fashion.
  • Vermont thru the Adirondacks to Watkins Glen for a couple days
  • Down thru the PA Alleghenies
  • Meandering thru OH Amish country from Coshocton to the Muskingum River, then back up 555 and 78 to Glouster
  • Two days in the Hocking Hills
  • Down to Aberdeen OH, then across KY on mostly backroads
  • Across southern IN to camp at Garden of the Gods in southern IL
  • Cross the Big River at Cape Girardeau and explore Mark Twain NF in MO
  • Drop into northern AR and spend a couple days exploring the Ozarks and Ouachitas
  • Take the Peel Ferry into MO and up to the rally

Fingers crossed that the weather cooperates!

Screen Shot 2022-02-27 at 6.56.46 AM.png

Wybdr

I plan on doing some of the WYBDR this summer. May not get time for all, but on the list. :)

Riding out of Michigan

Lots planned this year. BMWST.COM START in April. Torrey, Utah in May. The MOA Rally in June, along with the UNRALLY in West, VA. Leaving at the end of July for Alaska. Alaska routes below. Yellow=In, Orange=Out, Green=possible side trips.AlaskaRoutePlan(1).jpg

Guess I'll have to put-off my factory tour of the Ural factory. What do ya mean, My USD is no good? :)

Just many single day rides for me, so many roads to enjoy within a day. In June I'll be heading for the rally in Springfield, and might venture all the way to Chicago to pick up a few more points for the coddiwomple before the start of the rally.

Day rides include:
  • Loops of the Angeles Crest Hwy and other back roads in the Crest range.
  • Trips to Palomar Mountain and the Julian Pie Factory.
  • The many canyons above Malibu.
  • 1/2 day rides to Crystal Lake Cafe and Glendora Mountain Road.
  • Trips out to Big Bear Lake.
  • At least one ride out into Anzo-Borrego as there are a series of steel sculptures to see.
All the above start from home in Long Beach, CA, with 30-70 miles of freeway before getting into "interesting" roads.

Mixed in will be a lot of shorter, more local rides around town to get my wife comfortable riding her new/used Rebel 500 until she can join me on a few of the sight-seeing rides. So far she is uncomfortable with freeways, but I hope to resolve that before the summer arrives.

I just posted in, just riding, maybe should have posted here. I am looking for road, weather, camping, fire info along the 60, and 380 in southern NM. hoping to camp west of Roswell at the Cave campground. wondering if that is a good idea?

I just posted in, just riding, maybe should have posted here. I am looking for road, weather, camping, fire info along the 60, and 380 in southern NM. hoping to camp west of Roswell at the Cave campground. wondering if that is a good idea?

When? Right now the wild fire situation makes planning very difficult. Even many miles away from the fires, the air quality makes outdoor activities dangerous. A few years ago riding and camping in the smoke in Montana sent me to the emergency room twice.

leaving 5/1 planning on taking 3 or 4 days

You are right to not want to try to go east north of I40. Too much fire. South may be OK but watch the wind direction. Winds from the north (or northeast or northwest) can bring in lots of smoke, even a hundred miles away.

Back