Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Admitting Guilt or Authority Recognition?

Admitting Guilt or Authority Recognition?

Say you're riding down the road going just a little above the speed limit, and pass a roadside LEO. You brake so he see's you're slowing, how does he take that?

Quote Originally Posted by ramble View Post
    Say you're riding down the road going just a little above the speed limit, and pass a roadside LEO. You brake so he see's you're slowing, how does he take that?
    That depends on the officer and his wife/partner and whether he is in a good or bad mood at that moment. He might take it as an "oops" and smile when he goes by. Or he might decide - if he actually had your speed, instead of the saved speed from his last stop, to do a U turn and come get that bad biker. I think the outcome is mostly out of the rider's hands.

Edit Added: By outcome I mean whether to stop a rider or not. As for to cite or not, the rider's attitude and demeanor will mean a great deal usually.
    Last edited by PGlaves; 02-15-2022 at 04:46 PM.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

I think it's a natural reaction to touch the brakes in that situation. I would either keep the speed you're at or just begin a slow decel. Maybe you'll get lucky with the mantra "9 your fine, 10 your mine"!
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

If I see them I slow down.
    It shows respect.
    If I get a quick flash of the overhead or grill lights I give a thank you wave.
    Lee
    2022 R1250RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2016 R1200RS, 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by ramble View Post
    I use the rear brake in that situation so that the bike doesn't nosedive. Then pray he doesn't have instant-on radar or lidar.

Arkansas State Trooper said my failure to slow down was the reason for my ticket.

P.S. Slowed way down for South Dakota State Trooper from 8 over in 80 MPH zone. It didn't help at all.

Of course there is a third option.... flash the Hawaiian good luck sign and give it the gas. An option, but not a good option. I would (and have) slowed down.
    Kevin Huddy
    Silver City, Montana
    MOA# 24,790 Ambassador

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    I have stories of being stopped in large trucks and given a proctological. Not recommended. Can get ugly. May be taken out of service.

OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    I have stories of being stopped in large trucks and given a proctological. Not recommended. Can get ugly. May be taken out of service.

OM
    LEO got tough enough jobs from being shot at from a marginalized individual, to hubby/wife disputes about over cooked eggs all the way to TA's and OD's.

Not for me, never had a 'dozer talk back at me or try to shoot me.

I get pegged for speed, when they come out of the rhubarb with the bling on, I always, always, pull over.

Me bad for speeding, me really bad man for putting someone else at risk to do their job.
    1997 R1100RT, 1981 KZ 440 LTD, R80RT, R90/6 sidecar, K1100RS,1983 K100RS (Cafe now)

“The major civilizing force in the world is not religion, it is sex.”

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    If I see them I slow down.
    It shows respect.
    If I get a quick flash of the overhead or grill lights I give a thank you wave.
    Heading west on rte 60 through Globe, Az., I was clipping along 15 or so over coming into town in light traffic. From across the street and up a ways, I see the light bar come on and then shut off but he doesn't move. Slowed to limit asap, flashed the running lights back and waived [ a thank you ] as I passed by him for the consideration.

I really think running with those running lights, it being a GS and not a super sport, that I was wearing a hi viz yellow jacket all came together for the officer to determine I wasn't a young rider who needed some "adjustment".
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

RK Ryder
    Quote Originally Posted by brownie0486 View Post
    I really think running with those running lights, it being a GS and not a super sport, that I was wearing a hi viz yellow jacket all came together for the officer to determine I wasn't a young rider who needed some "adjustment".
    I think you just may have something about wearing a high viz yellow jacket and the type of bike. There have been many times when riding a little aggressively and encountering a LEO they have looked and ignored me.

This most likely doesn’t work now but back in the seventies, my cousin, a RCMP officer told me to always hit the brakes when seeing a LEO before the radar was locked onto my speed. Without the speed locked, I’d be free of a ticket.
    Paul F. Ruffell
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_F View Post
    This most likely doesn’t work now but back in the seventies, my cousin, a RCMP officer told me to always hit the brakes when seeing a LEO before the radar was locked onto my speed. Without the speed locked, I’d be free of a ticket.
    I am pretty sure that now it takes much less than a second - maybe just a few milliseconds.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I am pretty sure that now it takes much less than a second - maybe just a few milliseconds.
    Last figures I was aware of was deceleration of 8 feet per second to cause the radar to try another reference.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

This is a question with a thousand answers. LEOs are individual people who have differing opinions, attitudes, and moods. They will individually determine their criteria for who gets stopped. Will “slowing” affect their decision, probably. Not slowing certainly can influence it, if you are over their criteria for a stop.

Radars are constantly providing a speed to the officer if they are transmitting. They indicate the speed of the strongest radar return. Some radars can provide a 2nd reading on the fastest vehicle, but the officer must visually determine which vehicle is the fastest. A common example is a larger vehicle behind a smaller vehicle (truck/car or car/motorcycle) causing target resolution errors. There are numerous other errors the officer is trained to recognize and avoid.

Use of LIDARs is rapidly increasing. They are extremely accurate and give you the speed and distance of the vehicle that is in the aiming optic. The LIDAR beam is a couple of inches wide, versus the radar beam which is usually yards wide. Most of the errors seen in typical radar units are not even a factor.

Personally, I rarely gave a speeding ticket to a motorcycle rider unless there was some other notable problem. First because they actually stopped (many don’t, I will not pursue due to the high risk). Second because they stopped and are usually polite and respectful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk